Hello, considering CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Blessedwith7

Hello, considering CTC

Post by Blessedwith7 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi,

I have an older student, she would be on the high end age, 13, for Creation to Christ. I am really wanting to get in a 4 year chronological history with her and because we have not done a lot of formal grammar I think this would be a good fit. Now...in saying that, I am curious as to what kind of "geography" is covered in the 4 year cycle?

Thank you!

Kim Carr

Motherjoy

Re: Hello, considering CTC

Post by Motherjoy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 pm

I think -3 could be a good fit, with extensions. You might ant to use a different language arts than what is scheduled, but the rest could easily be upgraded as needed. Geography is covered through how it relates to the history being studied. In CTC there are two days of geography each week, studying the geography of the Holy Land. Without looking at my old guides, the next three have one day a week, but not a dedicated book. The plans are written in the guide.

To make the guides qualify as high school level, you will have to add to the sciences.

Let me ask, why not consider starting in the Geo guide? You could take it slow, if needed and do five years working on the four high school guides. Kids can earn high school credit in eighth grade, and the geo guide is really, really awesome!!! There are lots of resources in the high school guides that I wouldn't want my kids to miss.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:46 am

Please check the placement chart. You really want her to do a guide that is a good fit for her. You both will be happier. Do that and then everyone can help you figure out some things from there. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:04 am

I agree with Nancy...check that placement chart and start where she is on there. I understand wanting a 4 year chronological history but HOD is based on where the student is at. If CTC is where she places, go for it! :)

My daughter turned 14 in June and placed between CTC and RtR due to her language comprehension and learning issues. I ended up choosing choosing RtR due to her age (and the fact that I knew she would like the science in that one). It is tough for her and we are going 1/2 speed for now. She is in '9th grade' but because of her learning issues I can't 'ramp' it up for high school level....it is right where she is at. We are using the writing book from CTC because the RtR one is too advanced for her.

The geography in RtR is done once a week. They also do research on different cities around the world once a week.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Blessedwith7

Post by Blessedwith7 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:39 am

Okay..so the only place I see an issue would be in the Grammar placement. But..we are using something other than what is recommended. Her reading skills are good, she LOVES to read and reads well etc... It would mainly be in the area of grammar and writing that we might not be up to par.

So...can we adjust that to our level since I am using a different program to help her?

Thanks,

Kim

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:10 am

Yes, absolutely. In addition, if she places in the MTMM guide and you want to use your current grammar program, feel free.

Once she gets to high school and you put in her the WG guide, it may or may not be an issue. Book 7 and 8 have a lot more writing than prior levels. Does she have any experience with diagraming? If not, that is okay. You could always just start her in R&S 5 and be fine. Rod and Staff actually has a placement chart as well on their main website. If you google Rod and Staff placement chart, it will bring you straight to it. I also think you will be MUCH happier in a higher guide. Which guide does she place if you take grammar out of the equation?
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:38 am

Which guide is it that you see that the grammar is the only issue? If you only looked at the placement chart for CTC, make sure you look at the other guides to make sure that CTC isn't too easy.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Blessedwith7

Post by Blessedwith7 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:06 pm

UGH....getting confused. I am not sure why but I always end up feeling discouraged when I come here and try to find a fit. We are not a "she is in 8th or 9th grade" so she places in 8th or 9th grade for everything, family. I am not sure why I am frustrated but when I post on here I almost "feel" like this is not where we belong. I really want her to be in something that is not too hard. We have not been "intense" in schooling and I am easing her into a more rigorous curriculum for going into high school. I don't particulary care if it is "meant" for a high school student or not. I am trying to get her to a point of enjoying learning more, having more of a structured guide for me, but one were we don't have to worry that she is missing a whole lot. We are doing Saxon Grammar/Writing. We have our own Math program.

Not meaning to be snippy just feeling frustrated. I have had two children that just have been a hard fit with stuff, I learned from making some mistakes with my son and am trying to get her a good amount of learning in but don't want it to be overwhelming for her.

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Oh no :( I'm so sorry to see this. I think maybe things got off track a bit. I'm praying for your encouragement right now. To be in your court, so to speak, I will share that I am sharing homeschooling a repeat 9th grader with his parents. We started in RevtoRev with a bit of government added. The key for us has been to make school interesting and relevant, while meeting him where he is maturity and endurance-wise. I think that you, as the parent, should choose what you feel is best for your situation. I am using HOD as written for my three children for the most part...my third is actually doing a level up in science, and using a separate LA program as he had worked ahead in grammar. For my "extra son", we use the history/geography portion of RevtoRev, the science of MTMM, and a separate LA. This is what we feel is best for now. God bless you and strengthen your decision making.

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 pm

My 13yo son will be using CTC this coming year (once he finishes the last 11 units of Preparing) for Grade 8. He started it last year and couldn't get up to a day's work done in a day after 3 months, so we moved down to Preparing. This year he's doing R2R's Medieval Writing, R&S 5, Units 13-35 of R2R Science and at the end, Units 26-35 of MTMM science, while finishing Preparing and CTC (starting at Unit 11 where he stopped last year), both with Extension readings and suggested narrations.

All that to say, Kim, while the details are not relevant to your exact situation, make HOD work for your daughter. My son could not handle more than the workload of CTC. At the same time, his younger brother (10 next week) will do R2R. :shock: The "grade" thing is so inadequate.

You can do math, grammar, reading, writing all at your DD's skill level, so those aren't really a concern when picking a guide. If CTC is the subject matter that you want to cover (although that wouldn't necessarily be the first consideration; skill level would be) then make the decision that is best for you. I think sometimes we try to push too hard (as I did last fall, expecting my son to be able to handle CTC, not realizing the challenges [executive functioning deficits] that he was dealing with) and you know your daughter best for what she can handle, what your goals are for the future, the overall scope & sequence (for history) that you want her to experience, and what will motivate her to learn.

I can't really answer your Geography question any more than already has been (CTC = Holy Lands) since we've just started R2R ourselves, but I hope someone else can still chime in with the answer to that!

Be encouraged that you're not the only one asking "out of the box" questions. How easy it would be if they all fit into the recommended age guidelines, but how wonderful that they also have strengths outside the boxes that the books come in! :D

(BTW, I think Motherjoy's first sentence was supposed to read, "I think 13 could be a good fit, with extensions." Not "-3". :wink:) And I happen to agree. :D

Blessings as you consider, (another Mom blessed with 7),
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:59 pm

PS: The geography in the 4 guides is very good, covering most of the world through many changes of political boundaries. You might consider the Mapping the World product in the WG guide as an additional resource if you don't think you will be doing that guide...it was excellent :D

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:44 am

I'm sorry that you feel discouraged from the answers you have received. I think sometimes, just like with texting, these posts don't get written the way the person is really thinking-we leave out info that we were thinking and things get lost in translation. :) Sometimes there is so much behind an answer, the person's experiences with HOD or their individual children, and the person receiving doesn't understand that's where they are coming from.

My children that are doing school are all on the older end, or in the extension range and not doing extensions. Skill wise, my son fits in Bigger and that's where he was until this week. I bumped him up to Preparing because content wise he is much more in Preparing range. He struggles with the physical aspect of writing, lots of trouble with spelling, and is reading but it's a struggle. I could tell that he was feeling pretty dumb from those struggles and then with the content being well below what he could handle, that didn't help. When I moved him up, that was a huge boost and he got it right away--so, you are saying I'm better at some things?--was his question. YES!

My 13 yo daughter just started RTR this year. (the guide after CTC) She turned 13 in April. I don't have her doing extensions, but I think I will about 10 units in if things continue this way. Typically, the extensions are for when a family combines different age children and the older one does the extensions. Usually, it is thought that if they can do the extensions, they should just be doing the next guide up instead. Obviously, that isn't always the case, there are different reasons.

I totally see why you'd like to do the history cycle. :) However, there are many 13 yo that are more advanced than where my daughter is that I think would enjoy the guides so much better if they were more "on her level". Since we weren't sure where you daughter was in her academic stage, we were hesitant to just say go for it! So many of us have struggled with placement and once we have found the sweet spot we know the joy and success it can bring!

HOD is an incredible curriculum. I'm so blessed to have found it. Please don't let the board drive you away from that! Hopefully we can turn it around and you can be encouraged.

Blessings,
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:54 pm

So sorry you are feeling frustrated! Have you taken a look at the sample of the guide for CTC? If that is what you think is best for her, go for it. You know your daughter best. :D

My kids are at the 'older' end of the age range as well. I too struggled with where to put my daughter due to where her level was and not but her age. I did not want her in something that was too 'young' for her age and to get discouraged that it was meant for younger kids (making her think that she was stupid) or something that was for her age level but was way too hard for her (again making her feel she was stupid). I did not care if it is high school level, but still have to deal with making sure she gets in the requirements that our state puts on us for her age level (going into high school). Also I was going to put my 2 sons in Beyond together (one is 7 & the other is 9). It was just too hard for the younger one so I moved his back and even though the 9 your old could have done it and was enjoying it the first unit, he wanted to do 'more' and I would have had to add things to make it work for him (thus making more work for myself). I moved him up to Bigger and it is a perfect fit for him....he is so much happier there.

I do not do the Grammar, writing or math in the guide for my 14 year old (as they are the wrong level for her). I had already picked out what I wanted to do for grammar for her before picking out HOD. Her writing is way behind her age level so I also wanted something easier for her to do (the one in CTC is the one that we are using and can be used for anyone from grades 3-12). Her math is almost at grade level so we are sticking with the math she has used since 4th grade and works for her.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Blessedwith7

Post by Blessedwith7 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Oh my, I haven't even finished reading everyones posts...thank you so much for your encouragement. I did not mean to offend anyone. It is a LONG story but I would say I have been more of an "unschooler" and really regretting it now. So...sometimes it is hard for me to come to boards and ask questions because I can't fit her in one box but yet I really need something laid out for us, like in HOD. I want her to do a timeline etc..etc.. We have a LOT of Ancient Egypt type books etc..etc.. I also want her to get in a regular reading of Scripture, most important. We would probably add in more science but....I guess I was thinking about how much time she has left and figured we could get through the 4 levels of history. She is Enjoying doing Veritas Press History, Ancient Egypt but I got that for my younger kids..ha! That doesn't go much higher than 6th grade through all 5 levels so don't feel that is a good fit. We got Konos History of the World Vol. 1 and opened it and UGH!!! That is not me or her, need less stuff on a page, less to pick from, a bit more guidance and structure.

So...I am sorry ...truly did not mean to offend, I would have to explain our family situation, which I won't do on here but really wanting to just get her going on a good schedule that will not be overwhelming!

Thank you again..so much!

Blessedwith7

Post by Blessedwith7 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Again...please do not hesitate to post, I have calmed down... I don't think I was frustrated by your posts as much as just frustrated in general with myself and wanting to get her a good 4 year education, even though I may not do all "high school" stuff. Right now we are in Kansas and we have freedom to do what we feel is best for graduation so that is a huge plus.

So...am reading and love that you all have shared with me, thank you!