Any tips/hints on taking school work (WG) on 2-3 wk va-ca?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

Any tips/hints on taking school work (WG) on 2-3 wk va-ca?

Post by Tabitha » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Our family is finally taking an 'out west' trip. In an attempt to not have so much to do when we return, our oldest will be taking some school work with her. She has about 7-8 more units in WG to complete. Life dealt us a trying year and we are not where I wanted to be at this point. It's been stressful on me trying to accept not finishing up the WG until end of September, and delaying things further for this vacation. In the end, the children do need a break....

My thoughts were if dd takes along Bible, Logic, and her science booklets...those things are easy enough to do in the car, at night, etc. I am hoping that she can fully complete all of these subjects during our trip, or at least get down another 5-6 weeks of work in them. Does that seem unreasonable? We will have a lot of time in the car driving. The lessons in each of these subjects aren't that horribly long. They seemed the easiest to take along.

When we return home, dd will be taking a morning drivers ed class with other homeschoolers. We won't return home each day until 12:30-1pm. She will then have the afternoon-early evening to work on her remaining subjects.

We have been working 5 days a week, and will be adding in time on Saturdays if needed to get as close to the end of September goal as possible.

Thanks for any advice you have.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Mumkins

Re: Any tips/hints on taking school work (WG) on 2-3 wk va-c

Post by Mumkins » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:45 am

Any audio books she coukd take along or videos to watch in the car? I'm just starting in a few weeks, so Idk what the end is like.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Tabitha

Re: Any tips/hints on taking school work (WG) on 2-3 wk va-c

Post by Tabitha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks for that idea. There are dvds/videos for geography and writing. I need to look at Geography since that might be too tied into the mapping, and be better off left at home. We may be able to take writing, as long as we can get a new laptop battery. Dd has been suffering with hand issues, so I am switching over all her rough draft work to the computer with only outlining being written in her notebook.

I could also download the DuoLingo app on my tablet. She uses DuoLingo for German. She loves that, so bringing that along would be more of a bonus for her.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.