RTR and Shakespeare or not??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

RTR and Shakespeare or not??

Post by jacynamommy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:26 am

Hi ladies,
I'm getting ready to order books for this next year and I'm trying to decide whether to go with Shakespeare or not in RTR. I remember seeing a link somewhere to reasons why HOD chose to include Shakespeare, but I can't seem to find it or remember where I saw it...anyone know? Also, just suggestions/advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

farmfamily

Re: RTR and Shakespeare or not??

Post by farmfamily » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am

We are using the Shakespeare study, and so far my daughter loves it. We are only on Unit 4, but several days she has eagerly looked over to the rotating box saying, "Is it Shakespeare today?" If it is Shakespeare, she always wants to do it first. She is a big-time book lover in general, though.

The thread you might have been thinking of is this one. In Carrie's post she links an article about why Christians should study Shakespeare:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12984&p=93416&hilit ... are#p93415
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks so much for your reply and link!
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 pm

I was back and forth and decided to get it. My oldest tends to forget it because the pages are separate (note to self, put them WITH the regular notebooking pages! duh me!) BUT she loves doing them. And I'm glad she's getting the exposure so when/if she does have a class where she has to do Shakespeare then she will have some basis. So I'd say if you can swing it, go for it!

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Lora Beth, do you mean you'd recommend putting the Shakespeare notebook pages in the same binder as the History notebook pages? I'm also compiling a list of all supplies I need.
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:16 pm

I put them in a separate pocket folder with the title page they supply taped to the front cover. As they color they will just put the colored one in the other pocket. Then at the end of the year I will store them with the other student pages. It's only once a week and has a separate box telling them to color. It can stay put away for most of the week.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:23 am

Right now I have the history pages all together and then after them the Shakespeare pages all together. It hit me that if I were to put the Shakespeare pages mixed in with the history pages my dd might not forget/skip over/whatever the Shakespeare box as much. Basically its' out of sight out of mind right now. She READS the Shakespeare, but then forgets to do the notebook page for it. That was just a lightbulb moment for me!