Rev. to Rev. for high school questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HisWay

Rev. to Rev. for high school questions

Post by HisWay » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi,
I have been going over the placement charts and reading old posts and I think I have decided my dd (9th next year) should start in Rev. to Rev. in the fall. My plan is to have her do Rev. to Rev. 9th with the addition of Notgrass Government. We have our own math and science. We would use the guide basically as is otherwise.

1. I'm not sure what to do for the readers and extension - Are we supposed to do both, or just substitute the extension books for the read aloud books?
2. Grammar - she has done no diagramming. We used Winston Grammar Basic and Winston Word Works. They do not diagram in that program, but she does know the parts of speech and can tell which words modify which etc. Can I start her in R & S 6?
3. Would I give a half credit or full credit for American History for the year?
4. If I use DITHOR can I use the 7/8 Girl Book set? My intention is to get her through the different genre with a good literary analysis program and the following year have her do the English portion from the WG guide with MTMM. I hope to have her read a few high school level books too. Not for analysis more for exposure to classic books.

I think that is all the questions I have for now. Thanks so much for your help.
Blessings,
Patti
Patti
Married to my wonderful hubby 27 yrs.
DS 19 Graduated 2014
DD 14 Deciding on a guide

StephanieU

Re: Rev. to Rev. for high school questions

Post by StephanieU » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:28 pm

As for extensions and read-alouds, normally both are suggested. If you want to award a full credit of history, both would be required. If you only want/need a half credit, you could pick one set or the other.
As for grammar, normally Level 5 is suggested if no diagramming has been done. You would try to do one lesson a day, finishing all of Level 5 in Rev2Rev. Then do Level 6 in MtMM, and at least get through Level 7 by the end of high school.
As for literature, I would see where she is on reading level. Maybe do some of the 7/8 pack and some classics that are on the easier side (9th grade level)?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:48 pm

StephanieU gave awesome advice already! :D I will second it. Be sure to check the placement chart for accurate placement, and if RevtoRev is right, the suggestions already given are gold! It is a wonderful guide - enjoy! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Have you looked at samples of Rod and Staff? Milestone Ministries has nice samples. I would look at 6 just to make sure. Moms can usually tell if it is too much or just right. I would not place any higher than 6.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

HisWay

Post by HisWay » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:50 am

Thank you StephanieU, Julie, and Melissa you have been a very big help!
Patti
Married to my wonderful hubby 27 yrs.
DS 19 Graduated 2014
DD 14 Deciding on a guide