Science in Bigger for a 5th grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rodandmegs

Science in Bigger for a 5th grader?

Post by rodandmegs » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:09 pm

My 10 year old son is in Bigger with my 7 year old daughter. The history/geography seems bulky enough for him {I did add the history extension pack}. However, the science doesn't seem to be enough. I did buy the Exploring Planet Earth extension book, but it doesn't really add anything hands-on or of any value to him {in my opinion}. Today, we went to the library, and I got four books for him to read on oceans and the seashore. {The One Small Square book is not a favorite of his or my daughters.} Will this be enough for him? Should I add some activities? I thought about ordering him his own science book {Abeka or Apologia or something along that line}. He would do science with us if he wanted, but that way he would get more. He loves science and is very bright. Has anyone done something similar? I would appreciate any input or advice whatsoever!! Thanks in advance.
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

twolittlebears

Re: Science in Bigger for a 5th grader?

Post by twolittlebears » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:34 pm

I am also using Bigger for my 10 yo son for his 4th grade year. I am adding in Rod and Staff science for him. The grades 3 & 4 actually cover oceans and marine life, I think. I chose grade 3 for my son, but on their site they have samples that you can look at to decide which is best. The teacher's manual has hands on experiments and activities to do a few times each week. I am doing this as well as the Bigger manual exactly as written. I chose Rod and Staff because we also use their grammar and phonics, and I felt that their science is well rounded and touches on a few interesting subjects rather than just one like apologia does for the whole year. Hope that helps some!
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Remember that science for K-5 should focus on exploring the world and developing an inquisitive mind. Any facts they learn is icing on the cake. All of the topics are covered again in middle school and high school, with more depth. And kids are more able to digest all of the information then and understand it. So, be careful how much you add to the day with science. Try to keep things balanced! Also, note that the concepts in Bigger change throughout the year. You cover sea life in the beginning when you are focusing on the exploration of the Atlantic Ocean. Then there is a study on woods, colonial discoveries, birds with Audonon, and inventions with Edison.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Excellent advice already! :D The suggested follow-up activities in the Appendix for the extensions up the level of difficulty and should be done for 10 yo dc. If you want higher level science than that which is planned within the extensions, you can always borrow the science from the next guide up or the next 2 guides up for a 10 yo, as science is an independent subject which would not add time to teaching. This would be easy to do if you'd rather - HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you all for your help. I am going to look at Rod and Staff science. I think something that he could read on his own and answer questions to answer would be enough. He loves science, and he is almost surprised he doesn't have more! I know that's because I have him in Bigger Hearts with his sister, though.

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:22 pm

I also like the science that Answers in Genesis puts out (God's Design For....). There are a total of 12 of them (they suggest to read 3 of them a year). My daughter loved them and would read and re-read them. My older son is now reading them as well. Today he pulled out the one that we did not finish this spring and it is easy enough reading that he can read most of it on his own.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Rumkimom: I was actually just looking at that! The animals book. Would he able to do most of it independently?

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Megan - Yes, I think that he should be able to do most of it independently. They have 2 sections you can read....a beginner one and one for older kids. You could have him read either one depending on his reading skill. The reading sections are short, so do not take very long. I did not get the teacher's manual/worksheets so I do not know what that is like.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Wendy - I just ordered him God's Design for The Human Body. He is very excited to have something he can do mostly on his own. Thank you so much!

:D

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:56 pm

The science is weightier than it seems. I think you'll be surprised.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:12 am

Yes, the science is just right for my 2nd grader! My son is also learning from it. He really loves science, though, which is the main reason I ordered him something in addition to it. I am loving HOD so far!!! I am hooked, and can honestly say, I can see us using HOD for the remainder of our homeschooling.