Think I need to separate my oldest 2?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Think I need to separate my oldest 2?

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:10 pm

My 12 year old (girl) and 11 year old (boy) are in CTC. The problem is that my 11 year old has learning disabilities and my 12 year old is EXTREMELY bright and sees everything as a competition.

This is making my younger son feel "stupid"...like he "can't do anything right", etc.

So, I am seriously considering bumping my daughter up to Res to Ref and leaving my son in CTC so that there school work is totally separate.

I feel this might be better for both of them. My daughter can definitely handle RtR.

This is going to put a strain on me and will put me doing 3 guides. My youngest 2 finishing up Beyond. One in CTC and one in RtR.

Thoughts?
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Gwenny

Re: Think I need to separate my oldest 2?

Post by Gwenny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 am

I would think it would make everyone happier to separate. It will be very hard on your son to have that going on everyday, the last thing he needs is to feel worse about his struggles. Does he place in CTC for sure? If so, bump her up. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:54 am

I agree. It sounds like it will make everyone happier. I am doing a 2 week trail to see if my boys can handle being together...I may end up in the same situation (running 3 guides instead of 2). Oh, 2 of mine are special needs (the older 2) and of course the youngest one can't read so all 3 will be highly needy in the beginning.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:02 am

Yes! CTC was our split guide too. I think they'll be happier. Less competition. These guides are fairly independent. RTR more than CTC. I think it'll be an easy adjustment.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I split my 7yo and 9yo up this year for similar reasons. They did Beyond together last year. The younger seemed to lose focus and not enjoy the readings as much as my oldest, especially as my oldest is so good at narrating. It was discouraging to watch her disengage, partly due to having their skills compared back to back like that. They are so close in skills I was hoping it would work to combine all the way through their schooling, but she does MUCH better with her own work.

This year she is on her own track. They do a few things together like cursive, hymn and calendar time. But otherwise, her semester is a bit lighter. She is basically doing the right side of Beyond, and some extra handwriting and science or home ec. Hopefully she will start Bigger in January at 4 days a week so she can take a year and a half to finish it and be ready to start Preparing when she gets in 4th grade.

Once you come up with a good schedule to accommodate the different guides, it is much easier to have them at their own levels because you are not battling bad attitudes, or discouragement everyday. Each kids feels like they have their own special place in school as well. You can also slow down each guide as necessary without feeling like you are holding another child back.

I did a lot of reading on this forum and praying and thinking before making the decision, but I am so glad I did separate them!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14