Advice on No-Nonsense Algebra

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MShell1215

Advice on No-Nonsense Algebra

Post by MShell1215 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:06 pm

I am using No nonsense algebra with my 8th grader. This is my first yr homeschooling and I was looking thru the book, has anyone used this with their child? Do we have the child do one section a day? I am hoping it will not be too hard for him. Any advice would be appreciated!! :lol:

Thanks,
Michelle

Tabitha

Re: Advice on No-Nonsense Algebra

Post by Tabitha » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Yes. Watching a lesson online then doing the workseet is what my dd did. We did find a few errors in the answer key. So if you come across that a handful of times, don't be surprised. Just recheck the work and note the correction in the key.

If your son needs additional help, we found the algebra flipper charts to be nice to have around. We also have Understanding Mathematics From Counting to Calculus by Keith Kressin that has been a wonderful math help to both dd and myself!

I would just move at his pace, whether fast or slow. From what I remember it was an easy enough program for my non-math minded dd. There were a few things she needed help with, and that's where Understanding Mathematics came in handy.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Lynn3ggb

Post by Lynn3ggb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi Michelle,

I hope you have a great first year homeschooling!

I also hope the No Nonsense Algebra works for your son. I wanted to share that my daughter tried to use No Nonsense Algebra this summer. She is usually pretty good at math, but this program was frustrating for her to try to use because she found the instruction to be vague and sparse. Not to mention the errors in the key. Even with the online lessons, we ended up having to pull information or instruction from several other resources to keep moving forward. After about 3 weeks we finally just put it away.

Having said this, everyone will have a different experience with it. It really just comes down to what works for your child and what doesn't. I just wanted to encourage you in case it didn't work for you guys. There are many programs to choose from to fit many different learning styles.

Best Wishes

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Looking back, I wish I had used Foeresters for Alg. over No-Nonsense. I went with it because dd is not a math guru. It's like nails on a chalkboard to her. So, I went for an easier program with her. Just to be sure enough material was covered is why I followed up with CTC Math's Algebra. I thought dd would speed through it but hasn't. It has heen challenging but without complaints. Dd enjoys the CTC curriculum so in the end we are happy with how things played out.
Last edited by Tabitha on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 pm

We also tried it and didn't like it. We've had serious issues with algebra, and I don't think it's just my son. We jumped around a bit, trying to find something that worked. I really hoped No-No sense would work, but it didn't. Fun something solid and consistent, like Abeka or Saxon or another text series.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 am

Michelle,

The text is broken up into sections that you can just move through at a pace of one per day if desired. It is important to watch the video first and then do the lesson. My oldest son worked through this program for his 8th grade year when it was first out, and it worked well to set the foundation for algebra. :D Like any math program, it may not suit all learners. However, in situations where students either need a first pass through algebra prior to high school, or for students who struggle with math and need a no-nonsense approach to getting through algebra, this text works well. Often with any math text, kiddos are taking more from the lessons than we think. Although, sometimes this doesn't show up until later! :wink: For many kiddos, algebra can be frustrating on its first pass through. This is because maturity has much to do with a child's ability to think and reason at the level required for algebra. Often, just growing a year or two older does as much for a child as the specific program being used. :wink:

With my oldest son, we did do VideoText Algebra after No-Nonsense, which is an option you could also consider. He finished No-Nonsense early and was able to begin VideoText during the end of his 8th grade year. For us, this worked well. With my second oldest son, we did Foerster's Algebra, which is another option you could consider. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 am

What are you planning for your 3rd son, Carrie?
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

MShell1215

Post by MShell1215 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 pm

I have just seen all these replies. Thanks so much! We will give it a try and see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed! :shock: :D

Thanks again!

Michelle