Painting Paper?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kathleen

Painting Paper?

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:56 pm

In LHTH, unit 8...my dd was suppossed to use shiny, white painting paper to make the Red Sea. Does anyone have a great place to get this? Will it be called "painting paper"? (We used cardstock since we didn't have any...but I'm sure painting paper would be much better and I'm guessing we'll need it again this year as we continue LHTH.) Wal-Mart is our only shopping option in our town and I couldn't find any...unless I'm looking for the wrong thing. :oops: Would cutting off a section of freezer paper be the same?

Humbly thanking you for your help...
:oops: Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

netpea

Re: Painting Paper?

Post by netpea » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Kathleen wrote:In LHTH, unit 8...my dd was suppossed to use shiny, white painting paper to make the Red Sea. Does anyone have a great place to get this? Will it be called "painting paper"? (We used cardstock since we didn't have any...but I'm sure painting paper would be much better and I'm guessing we'll need it again this year as we continue LHTH.) Wal-Mart is our only shopping option in our town and I couldn't find any...unless I'm looking for the wrong thing. :oops: Would cutting off a section of freezer paper be the same?

Humbly thanking you for your help...
:oops: Kathleen
I'm not sure, but we just used plain white printer paper or the beige drawing paper for all of our painting.

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:03 am

Or maybe the finger painting paper? That has a small bit of shine/gloss to it so that it smears easily for finger painting. And I know that they sell that at Wally-world! :wink: (although, I do have quite a few shopping options, that is where I do a majority of my shopping to keep things as UNexpensive as possible....doesn't one income get tough???)
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 am

I never thought about it. I've always just used printer paper, or construction paper, or whatever was white and within reach.

LOL

Yeah, I'm a dork. :D :D :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:40 pm

joyfulheart wrote:I never thought about it. I've always just used printer paper, or construction paper, or whatever was white and within reach.
:lol: You've made me feel so much better...but my little girl gets a little wild with the water colors and it would be nice to have something she didn't soak through. I'll have to look for finger painting paper, Kelly.

I know this wasn't a really big thing...and wasn't going to stop school. :wink: I was just starting to feel silly that I couldn't find any "painting paper".

Thanks!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Mom2SHZC

Post by Mom2SHZC » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 am

Kathleen wrote:but my little girl gets a little wild with the water colors and it would be nice to have something she didn't soak through.
Kathleen,
You might check out the rolled freezer paper someone else mentioned. It definately would not soak through. I have used it with my dc when they paint, they have actually been begging to paint this last week, but I haven't let them. Maybe next week...

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Freezer paper would work great too! I think the only reason the shiny paper was recommended in the Red Sea lesson was for easier removal of the masking tape - to make your path through the sea! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 pm

I now found my "shiny painting paper"...which looks like it will work great! :wink: We were out of town this afternoon and I was in a place big enough to carry it. (Not that your supplies are hard to come by, Carrie. I happen to live pretty close to the middle of nowhere and I guess anything but copy paper isn't necessary here.) We had fun picking out our few supplies that we need for the year.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH