Required State history??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rumkimom

Required State history??

Post by rumkimom » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:56 am

What have those of you that have required state history done about getting that requirement in? I see that there is an option to do that in MTMM, but what if you child does not get to that guide until 9th or 10th grade (we need to do it sometime in grades 1-8)? I was going though the scope & sequence chart and if we continue with HOD, he would be in MTMM in either 9th grade or 10 grade. He is in 4th grade (but is doing 2nd/3rd grade work due to learning disabilities) and I am going to try him in Beyond with his younger brother this year. I might end up switching him up to Bigger in 2-4 weeks if it is not working to do them together or if he is ready/needs more work. Where would be the best place to weave it in?
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

chillin'inandover

Re: Required State history??

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:27 am

Wendy,
The state study in MTMM is purchased separately from the MTMM. The company that offers each state has resources for younger learners so that it can be tailored to a 4th grader, or whatever grade they are. Although suggesting other curriculum is not permitted on this board I believe I can mention it because it is a resource offered at HOD and ordered separately. It makes sense not to require that we order directly from that other company, because it would be costly to stock 50 states at HOD.
We just finished Bigger, which included a study of 50 states. This was truly a light study of the 50 states. Some have included further study of 50 states. I did not include more study, since the previous year at our Co op was the Nifty Fifty. That was a funny year for me personally. My dd was so excited when my birthday came, because after all 50 is Nifty.
So going through Bigger is a good time to add to 50 states or an individual state. If you wait for the next guide, Preparing, the learning of individual states would appear disjointed. You would be studying world history + your state. In Bigger it would be US history, 50 states, and your state. So Bigger is a good time to do it, and MTMM has a good resource for individual state history. The resource has a master plan that will guide you on how to complete the study.
Last edited by chillin'inandover on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks so much Tammy! That is the info I wanted. :) Where to best fit it in. I just checked to see what MTMM suggests and that is the one I used with my girls. What would be the best way to weave it in? Once a week or wait until the middle of the year and then start it and do it 1-2 times a week? Thanks again!
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Clarence (10 - PS)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:49 pm

It's not required in my state but important to both myself and my husband, so we have just woven in our state history by reading books to our kids about the state history, symbols, motto, etc. and taking them to important historical places or landmarks in our state. That might be something to consider too if you don't have to have written work with it. I did try a formal study with them when my oldest was in 2nd or so (so she was probably in Bigger, now that I think of it), and it has been retained much better by doing it more informally for the younger kids. We will, of course, do the formal study when she gets to MTMM. Just another option to think of. :)
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:42 pm

Revival to Revolution also studies all 50 states. That was fun! Our son still shares witty things he remembers about the states - Joy Deen has a wonderful sense of humor, as well as an eye for detail. The cutouts from the back of the 50 States study were colorful and easy to use. When we did our indvidual state study in MTMM, we ordered free brochures of our state from our state tourism website. I am looking forward to studying these again with my middle ds this year. Between the intro to state study in BHFHG, the 50 states study in RevtoRev, and the individual more in-depth state study in MTMM, we have had a nice balance.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks Julie. My problem is that he is delayed (age 9.5, listed as 4th grade, but doing 2nd grade work) and might not get into Rev to Rev until 9th grade as we will be doing Beyond this year (unless I decide to have him do an extra year of school...which I might) and we need to have state history sometime before he gets into high school. I am sure he will enjoy doing it again when he is older. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Clarence (10 - PS)

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Since my kids are all in their own guide and always do things separately, I decided to have all three of them do the state study together. :idea: It does not matter to me at all that one is going into Preparing, one in CTC. We do the state study on Friday, so we can add field trips, make State recipes, go to the library to check out books on State history. Looking forward to doing some fun field trips around the state. Anyway, you may want to wait till you get in the first guide that is schedule 4x/week, and do it as an extra interest on Friday! :wink: We went ahead and ordered the ABeka My State Notebook to go with it, to keep it simple. :D I think dd her notebook will end up turning out the neatest! She's in the lowest grade :lol:
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.