Emerging Readers to DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
woodrumfamily

Emerging Readers to DITHOR

Post by woodrumfamily » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:15 am

My daughter will be starting Bigger in a few weeks. I am planning on having her read the last 2 books in the Emerging Readers set just to give her a little more practice before we dive into DITHOR. I am just wondering how important it is to correlate the genres between DITHOR and Storytime. Do they always need to be the same? Or can I have her start a biography for DITHOR while on a different genre in Storytime? Thanks!

Mommamo

Re: Emerging Readers to DITHOR

Post by Mommamo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:51 am

I prefer to do different genres with story time and DITHOR. I know others who like to do the same. I just like different because when the genre comes up again in the opposite (so like we did Biography already in story time and it's coming up again in DITHOR), I feel like it sort of reinforces that information. It gives more review, more reinforcement of the genre. I think it's also fun to let them completely pick the order in DITHOR. Gives a level of control to the kiddos, but with choices ;)
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

mrsrandolph

Re: Emerging Readers to DITHOR

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:00 am

It doesn't matter if they correlate.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)