DITHOR for high school - how many genres to cover?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

DITHOR for high school - how many genres to cover?

Post by Tabitha » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:17 pm

I need a bit of guidance using DITHOR for high school credit. I have searched the high school literature and beefing up threads, but didn't find anything mentioning how many genres to cover. Outside of needing to use high school level books, do we need to cover all the genres DITHOR contains or just cover 5 genres as for the lower grades? Does poetry need to be added in?

I am allowing my dd to choose titles to read. We have been stuck between guides for grades, so we won't be doing the last HOD HS guide for her. Going back and building slightly upon her work in the previous MTMM guide, adding in DITHOR with high school level material now helps fill in any gaps and ensure all is covered for getting in 4 years of literature. I had hoped to get this covered by end of summer, perhaps into early fall.

As far as high school level books is there a reliable resource to refer to for guidance? I have one of HOD's sample lists, but it is old and only goes through 8th grade with a few titles at 9th grade.

Not fully narrowing down genres just yet (if only 5 are needed), books my dd is interested in so far are:
Jane Eyre - reading this now as she wanted to start it first. I was unsure what genre to consider this.
The Great Gatsby (Historical Fiction)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Mystery)
Robinson Crusoe (Adventure)
The Hobbit (Fantasy)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Historical Fiction) - dd's copy is from a movie showing/book signing with 'Scout.' ;-)
The Elephant Man (Biography)
Sherlock Holmes (Mystery)
Shakespeare - shorter play...dd is gritting her teeth on this as she dislikes Shakespeare

Outside of those above, I am looking into short stories by Melville or Stevenson.

Dd not want to read The Hiding Place. We have the movie and love watching it. She has no desire to pick up the book on it. The Elephant Man popped up on a list, and dd was intrigued by my gasp. This is one movie I watched many times as a youth and had forgotten about it. As I explained him to dd, show her some movie clips, she was a bit in disbelief and a bit curious to know more. So, reading a book on him and then watching the movie were my thoughts. I haven't seen this title mentioned in many places, so I was a bit unsure about using it for high school lit.

Dd is determined to read one of the Hunger Games books as she saw it on a high school literature list, hence my plea here for a reliable book list to browse over. If she needs to read this as part of her lit. just for mental satisfaction on her part, I was going to have her use the Progeny Press guide with it.

If anyone has advice on using DITHOR for high school lit., please do share.

Thank you!
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Tabitha

Re: DITHOR for high school - how many genres to cover?

Post by Tabitha » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:54 am

I did more digging here and saw a comment about covering all genres using DITHOR for high school. That is what we will do.

I would still love a resource recommend for a high school literature list. I will bounce around other Christian curriculum sites as one resort. Is that what others do?

We are buying the needed books one or two genres at a time. Just seems easier that way atm.

We did find Silas Marner and the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes at Ollie's yesterday. Dd was excited to find those to begin with. Her previous pick of Jane Eyre will still be enjoyed. She wanted to read that in full as in the past she read a few other youth versions and enjoyed it. Silas Marner is much shorter and may be easier for us to get through if we're hoping to finish all of DITHOR by the fall.

eta: Yay! Looking at my handwritten notes, I left off the realistic fiction genre. So, Jane Eyre will definitely be official DITHOR reading after all!
Last edited by Tabitha on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:23 am

I know Carrie has posted some suggested reading lists in several threads related to beefing up for highschool or adjusting curriculum to make up necessary requirements. Here is just one such post. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15833&p=111362&hili ... 13#p111362

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Thank you for sharing that thread. I had yet to come across that one. It was nice to read through it.

Dd is desiring a bit of freedom in her book choices, and her interests aren't always for some of the titles I keep coming across here. Over the years she has done her fair share of grumbling over not liking a lot of the books she has to read. DITHOR allows opening up a wider selection of titles letting her be more in control, and hopefully enjoying more of what she is reading. That in turn helps ensure this gets completed more easily in the timeframe we have to work with.

That's my reason in a nutshell for a quality book list, outside of those mentioned already on this forum, for her to pick from. I am compiling titles/genres as I go, and definitely including titles from the HOD threads. I realized when she locked onto The Hunger Games as her idea of quality literature and that the buck stopped there that just googling for additional literature lists, and browsing whatever came up, wasn't the best. I need another filter! :-)