Science notebooking in CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

Science notebooking in CTC

Post by PoppyD » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi ladies,
I'm setting up CTC to start Monday!! Woo hoo! This is our first time using HOD. I found a very helpful link on here that is helping me set up, but I have a few questions about the science notebook. I see it suggests page protectors. What kind of paper do you use to actually write on to go in the page protectors? Notebook paper, solid while printer paper? I saw the lab sheets but the link also had notebooking pages and "question sheets" in her child's notebook. Are these just generic pages you find anywhere?
I think that's it! I'm sure I'll have many more questions once the paint comes out!! :( I'm not creative at all. That's one of the reasons we chose HOD. I love the hand holding!
Thanks!
Poppy
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

Nealewill

Re: Science notebooking in CTC

Post by Nealewill » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:39 pm

I did not end up using page protectors for my dd's notebook. Those would take up way to much space. On day 1, my dd just created the notebooking sheet on a plain piece of white paper. Then on day 3, she answered the questions on a plain piece of lined paper. On day 4, I made copies of the science lab page and she filled that out. Also - the kids will make an animals tracks book at some point soon for the day one assignment. This also included the bird study and the plant study. We made the book. So on those days, my dd would just put her entry in to the book she created and it didn't go into the student notebook.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm planning to use the page protectors in the CTC notebook (we're starting Monday) just because I like how it looks. I use page protectors for all their work, LHTH and on. If it's an art project or whatever, I'll even cut the construction paper down to printer paper size before they start so it will fit, or I'll take a picture of it an print it. :wink: I'm sure that's crazy, but I just seriously like how it looks and I think it keeps the binders looking nice for longer. My kids love looking back through their notebooks. :D I definitely think it's all personal preference. It should be just fine not to use page protectors and just 3-hole-punch the pages if you prefer to do it that way.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:01 pm

We used a sketchbook for notebooking and questions, and labsheets copied from the appendix for experiments. Also, for the tracks, plants and animal booklets, we used a smaller sketchbook divided into sections with sticky tabs.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 am

We just use plain printer paper for notebooking and notebook paper for the questions. I three hole punch a lot of paper at the beginning of the year and they just pull one out, do the work, and put it in their binder.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:54 pm

We use page protectors here as well, but just for science in this guide. I don't put the printed HOD history student pages in protecor sheets. We use plain white copier paper for drawings and such, copied lab sheets for science experiments, and notebook paper for answering the science questions. I put the guide abbreviation + subject, unit # and day, date, plus name in the back of each sheet (ex. CTC - Sci, U11D4, 11-22-14, child's name), then immediately place it in their binder. I have done this for all their binders. At this level I don't need to specify the subject anymore; it's become habit at this point.

A 1" D-ring binder works fine for this. I pick binders with 2 tiered inner pockets. I keep copies of lab sheets and such here. Binders also have a front/back cover sleeves so the girls can insert their own drawing covers.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 pm

PoppyD wrote:Hi ladies,
I'm sure I'll have many more questions once the paint comes out!! :( I'm not creative at all.
Poppy
Here is a link of one of the wonderful Mom's who has Watercolor Tutorials for all the units. This is a great help. Especially since you get to see the work of both her children, and how different they can look.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13991&p=114201&hil ... or#p114201

This is my second time through CTC, we do place our beautiful HOD History notebooking pages in protective sheets to keep them nice! I'm thinking of ring binding them at the end of the school year as a keepsake for my ds! It helps prevent the holes to rip accidentally, keeps some of the work they have to glue inside nicely together as well. :wink:

For the science notebooking, I use sheet protectors for the lab sheets, and notebooking pages, done on plain computer paper. At the end of the year, I keep some for the portfolio and the rest has to go bye-bye :oops: This way I can re-use the sheet protectors. The questions are done on line wide ruled paper and just placed in the binder.

Just keep in mind, that it will take you and your dc a few units to get into a groove with the guide. The more time spend teaching them in the first couple of units how to do all their work, the more independent they become, and the less frustration it will bring. Independent for some kids means, learn to do things independent in the beginning of the guide. :D
Success, hope you guys had a great start! :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:17 pm

You will have some lab sheets. You will have some assignments done on unlined white paper, and you will have some assignments done on lined notebook paper...so a little bit of everything!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)