Getting ready to order but have a quick question!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DanaFL

Getting ready to order but have a quick question!

Post by DanaFL » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:50 am

I had been planning to order CtC, having done BHFHG two years ago (with a year of ps in between), but my daughter entering 4th this year is still a VERY slow reader. My daughter entering 5th is a very advanced reader. I read on a fb post though that CtC was going to likely be way too amped up, in both reading (which I knew) and writing and that even though we probably should be doing CtC, age-wise, we'd be better doing Preparing this year. My question is about the extension package for Preparing. Is this just more books, and the scheduling of them? If so, I'll likely skip it, as I want to allow my older, better reader to read not just "school" books, but some books of her choosing. If it's got assignments that really are pertinent to her being a 5th grader that she'll miss out on if she just does the basic package, then I'll get them though. ( I sold my earlier guide, so I can't look up what is included in the extension part.)
Thanks!
Dana

rodandmegs

Re: Getting ready to order but have a quick question!

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 am

The extension packages are just books to read, and there are some suggested activities, such as oral and written narration. That's the extent of it.
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:48 am

You might find this helpful. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16471
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

DanaFL

Post by DanaFL » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:28 am

Thank you! I went ahead and chose some extension books (on top of ones we already own) as substitutions for books from the basic and economy packages that we own, and I'll add them in, but I'm not going to stress over doing every extension assignment.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:48 am

Dana,

I just wanted to pop in and share that the books in the Preparing Extension Pack are so much more than just extra books to read. If you have a child in the extension range, they are actually a needed part of the program. This is because the books are selected to show a different part of history or a different point of view than what is being covered elsewhere in the history study. The books are designed to deepen the study in this manner. :D

The books are also intended for the student to be reading on his/her own in order to raise the reading level of the history material being studied by the older child. This is necessary in Preparing, because if you are still reading aloud the history as scheduled in the guide, an older child should also be reading his/her own history material. :D

Last, the oral narrations, written narrations, and notebook assignments are desiged to address skills that an older student should be practicing and showing progress in due to their age level. These assignments aren't meant to be optional for an older student. So, if you choose to forego the extension books for a child in the extension range of a program, you are missing the part of the program that makes it extend for that age level.

On a sidenote, the extension books are also very interesting and engaging, and kiddos who do the extension books do truly enjoy them! :D If you have a child in the extension range, you should plan for these books to be a daily part of Preparing Hearts as intended.

Drawn into the Heart of Reading is the place to allow your daughter to read books of her own choosing. DITHR works with any books you choose and will work well in that capacity for your older daughter.

Blessings,
Carrie