Singapore math question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rodandmegs

Singapore math question

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:16 am

Okay, I have yet another question! :oops:

Do I need to order the Singapore math 5a, 5b home instructors guide? I have the textbook and workbook, but I noticed there is also a Home Instructors Guide for homeschoolers? Is it necessary? The textbook provides a lot of teaching, but teaching math is not my favorite thing... my husband has to help!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

MomtoJGJE

Re: Singapore math question

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:37 am

I have never used the HIG, but I enjoy math and think the Singapore way. I've heard a lot of people enjoy using the HIG for the higher levels.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 pm

They recommend the HIG for parents in level 5 because it gives detail for the answers in this level and up. You don't need them for the lower levels though.

On a side note - I do have them for level 3 and up. For me, I came from a math program that was very scripted. I really liked that. That was one thing I missed with the Singapore book. I love the student textbook - that was something I didn't have with my other program and that sheds tons of light on topics. But when my kids are being introduced to new concepts, I feel like the cat has my tongue and I have nothing to say LOL. So for new topics, I do use the HIG guide. I have both of them for 3 and for 4. For me, this is a good fit. Again, I think most people could probably do without them. But for me, it makes me a more confident homeschooling mama.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:16 pm

I recommend getting the HIG's especially for level 5 and 6. It is really nice to have the answer key as well as being able to see the problems worked out. The story problems and bar diagrams can be quite tricky at these levels.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Thank you all so much fr your help! I will go ahead and order the HIG. Some of the word problems do look confusing, and I like having an answer key to save time checking work. :lol:
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:55 am

Here is a link to the HIG and Answer Key if that helps. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page at the link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/rtr_hearts ... ckages.php

Blessings,
Carrie