Help with math placement please!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jabs

Help with math placement please!!

Post by jabs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:49 am

I need some advice regarding math placement for my upcoming 7th grader. She will be finishing Singapore 6a/b this year for 6th grade (11-12 yrs old) during Resurrection to Reformation. She's done all of the HOD guides and Singapore from K up.

She's done well with Singapore overall, but has on occasion struggled on the reviews, forgetting some previously taught concepts and sometimes makes careless errors. I've tested her with the Stanford the last two years and she's scored a couple of grade levels above where she's really at. However, math is not her favorite subject.

She'll be doing Revival to Revolution for 7th (12-13 yrs old) and MtMM for 8th (13-14 yrs old). Not really sure where to go math-wise for 7th and 8th since it looks like the Singapore option is no longer recommended?

Any advice would be welcomed!
Thanks!

Mumkins

Re: Help with math placement please!!

Post by Mumkins » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Maybe this thread will help? I'd probably choose which algebra you want, then buy their prealgebra. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13789
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Here is a very similar post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16077
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:59 pm

If it were me, I would do No-Nonsense Algebra for RevtoRev and then move to Foerester's when you get the MTMM. You are correct that HOD doesn't use Singapore after 6A/B. But Foerester's looks amazing!!!! Because it is such a robust program, it is highly recommended that kids don't start it until at least 8th grade.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:58 am

I would look at the different programs online, check out demos and samples, and see what your dd likes and feels comfortable with. Then take that into consideration with the programs you may have a gut feeling about.

My dd did No-Nonsense and Carrie did not recommend she move into Foerester after that. The Geometry recommend would be fine, just not the Algebra ones. No-Nonsense wasn't 'deep' enough if I recall her feelings correctly. I can't remember if VideoText was a recommend from her or not, but since we had already done most of that subject I didn't want to go that route. I didn't feel VideoText was ideal for my dd either. Foerester did intrigue me. I liked the layout and thought their step by step would be good for dd, but I also understood what Carrie was saying.

If you like Foerester, I would do whatever math Carrie recommends prior to that to prepare her for going into that for Algebra.

Dd has a major issue with voices - they are like nails running down a chalkboard to her. Using Saxon, both with teacher and DIVE, was a miss. TT was okay but after a couple years the voices drove her crazy. Math was a miserable subject. So, we ended up with CTC Math Online which is a Cathy Duffy recommend, and dd is doing well. She is in love with English/Australian accents, so this is right up her alley. Dh is an Electrical Engineering Program Manager, and he feels the math is quite up there...hard. If he feels that way, then I am fine with it. Carrie's Geometry recommend is next.

One book I cannot recommend enough just as a math help is Understanding Math: From Counting to Calculus. This has been an immense help for dd and myself. It is great to use alongside for help when you get stuck and just need a different explanation, working through the book together. It is great for the child who does well with independent study to use on their own.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

jabs

Post by jabs » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Thank you ladies for all your links and advice. Thanks especially, Stephanie, for the link to the most recent discussion from March. Since my DD is going to be doing 6a/b this year, I know I have time to really figure this out. But I do like to get my curriculum a year in advance and because this will lay the foundation for HS, I really wanted input as to what Carrie was suggesting as the 7th grade bridge.

Anyone use the Life of Fred Pre-Algebra books before going into Foerster's?

Thanks for responding!!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:00 pm

I have not used the pre-algebra book but I have seen the entire series for Life of Fred before it. I know that SO many people love it but can I be completely candid and honest. I actually (gulp) hate it! I am sorry! It is completely opposite my style and the style of Singapore. I honestly and genuinely don't know how someone could use them for their full on math program. I do know moms who use it and who love it. But I just feel like there is not enough instruction or review. That is just me though. Take it or leave it. There is a lot of hype about it but I honestly can't see how it even works for kids to thrive long term in this subject. I am sorry that I am being so negative. It is just my complete honest opinion. Take it or leave it. Truly, I mean no offense to you. Please know that too.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:42 pm

We have been using Life of Fred for a while and really like it. We've used it along with Singapore, and are currently using it alone for Pre-Algebra before moving into algebra. I really like Life of Fred, and I think it complements Singapore well because it shows kids how useful math is in real life.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:32 pm

I talked with Carrie about this, and whether dc can do No-Nonsense Algebra and then Foerster's depends on many, many things - such as how the student did with math previously, what the student did for math previously, what age the student is, what natural math abilities the student has, what the child is possibly going to be doing post-high school, etc., and when we are giving math recommendations we are giving them based on whatever information a parent has shared about his/her child. Also, with the changes 7A/7B and 8A/8B have undergone and our no longer recommending/carrying them, Carrie is looking for something to recommend for 7th graders and 8th graders who have completed 6B but who are not quite ready for Algebra 1. In the meantime, using No-Nonsense Algebra and then Foerster's Algebra 1 consecutively if a student is able, old enough, etc. is a good plan to consider. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie