Uncomfortable with the choices I've made...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sweetgrace

Uncomfortable with the choices I've made...

Post by sweetgrace » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:40 pm

I need help. I have already purchased our guides for the year. I was going to place DS1 (7yo) in Beyond (he's completed LHFHG) and place DS2 (5.5 yo) in LHFHG for his K year. Living circumstances have not changed and we will continue living in a fifth wheel for the remainder of the year while building a home. We were hoping to be in a house by now. We already did two guides this past year and lots of things were skipped or completely left out due to space issues and other trials that come with living in an extremely small space. I'm not feeling comfortable using two guides in such a small home. It would be so nice to be able to combine science, bible, read alouds, art, music and history. Then work separately on the three R's at each child's pace. Or maybe just concentrate on the 3r's this year and come back to the guides next year? Can you help talk me through some ideas? What are my options?
Tawny~ Wife and helpmeet to Gabriel~ Mommy to G- 6.5 LHFHG, A-5 LHTH (slowly), B-20m

Gwenny

Re: Uncomfortable with the choices I've made...

Post by Gwenny » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:16 am

I would do Beyond with your 7 yo and just the 3 R's with the 5 yo. Then start the younger in Little Hearts when you are settled in your home. You don't have to wait until the next school year, unless you just really want to do that. Even if you waited it would be fine. Then it would be nice to have them not in back to back guides anyway. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:19 am

God bless ya! Dh bought a travel trailer last year, so I know the space you are talking about and lacking. Plus we have renovated our home for the last 20 years. Ripped dh's grandfather's house down to the studs and redid it all ourselves. I also understand the huge undertaking. Keep you eye on the prize and know that you can do all things through Him!

Let's see...my youngest was the only one to do all 3 of the younger guides. Going off that:

What did you not cover from LHFHG last year with DS1 that you feel he may need? Anything?

How mature is DS2? Do you feel you can combine them for History, Science and Bible using Beyond for all of these? What about doing Poetry from Beyond with both as well? My dd liked the poems in LHFHG but thought the motions silly and most times would not do them. Maybe you can alt. the poetry between the two, or let the younger draw pictures on copied poetry sheets from Beyond.

Did you do Storytime with DS1 in LHFHG? If not, maybe that is another area to combine using the Burgess books. The books in Beyond are fun as well, and if you feel DS2 can sit through them, you could opt to do these storytime books instead.

Where is DS1 with reading? DS2 with phonics? This is an area I see where it might need focus on each one, pending where each is at. The Reading Lesson is great, and the two of my girls who went through this each took 1 1/2 years to complete it. They went right into the Emerging Readers and took off soaring from there.

My youngest adored the Fine Motor skill workbooks in LHFHG. I feel they do teach valuable skills. If you did not complete them with DS1, you could work on that with them together and let them move at their own pace. We actually bought more of these books to use with later guides for my dd. ;-)

I hope some of this helps.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:03 pm

I'd do Beyond with 7 yo and 3 Rs with 5yo. Waiting a year puts your your 5yo finishing the last guide in grade 12 anyway.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Tawny,

In reading through your post, I was thinking that since you commented that lots of things were skipped this past year when your son did LHFHG that it may be possible for both he and your daughter to be combined in LHFHG for the left side of the plans and story time from the right side of LHFHG this coming year. If you already did all of the Burgess books from LHFHG, you could either reread them with both kiddos this year, making sure to do all of the activities in the LHFHG guide, or you could do the story time from Beyond with both kiddos instead. Since you already own the Beyond guide, you could just have your son do the right side of Beyond for the 3R's (i.e. spelling, grammar, emerging reader, and math) and have your daughter do all of LHFHG. If you did this, you could potentially keep your older two kiddos together for History, Bible, science, devotions, poetry etc. through the years and just have them to do their own 3R's (with your son borrowing his 3R's from the guide above for awhile). :D

If you do decide to head back through LHFHG, I would try hard not to skip things if at all possible. So, if you have to substitute for supplies you may not have, try to substitute rather than skip the box. You can get really creative with the substitutions if need be, but try to get something out of each box each day even if you have to really improvise. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Gwenny wrote:I would do Beyond with your 7 yo and just the 3 R's with the 5 yo. Then start the younger in Little Hearts when you are settled in your home. You don't have to wait until the next school year, unless you just really want to do that. Even if you waited it would be fine. Then it would be nice to have them not in back to back guides anyway. :)
Thanks for the idea! This is why I come here. You ladies help me think outside the box! :)
Tawny~ Wife and helpmeet to Gabriel~ Mommy to G- 6.5 LHFHG, A-5 LHTH (slowly), B-20m

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Tabitha wrote:God bless ya! Dh bought a travel trailer last year, so I know the space you are talking about and lacking. Plus we have renovated our home for the last 20 years. Ripped dh's grandfather's house down to the studs and redid it all ourselves. I also understand the huge undertaking. Keep you eye on the prize and know that you can do all things through Him!

Let's see...my youngest was the only one to do all 3 of the younger guides. Going off that:

What did you not cover from LHFHG last year with DS1 that you feel he may need? Anything?

How mature is DS2? Do you feel you can combine them for History, Science and Bible using Beyond for all of these? What about doing Poetry from Beyond with both as well? My dd liked the poems in LHFHG but thought the motions silly and most times would not do them. Maybe you can alt. the poetry between the two, or let the younger draw pictures on copied poetry sheets from Beyond.

Did you do Storytime with DS1 in LHFHG? If not, maybe that is another area to combine using the Burgess books. The books in Beyond are fun as well, and if you feel DS2 can sit through them, you could opt to do these storytime books instead.

Where is DS1 with reading? DS2 with phonics? This is an area I see where it might need focus on each one, pending where each is at. The Reading Lesson is great, and the two of my girls who went through this each took 1 1/2 years to complete it. They went right into the Emerging Readers and took off soaring from there.

My youngest adored the Fine Motor skill workbooks in LHFHG. I feel they do teach valuable skills. If you did not complete them with DS1, you could work on that with them together and let them move at their own pace. We actually bought more of these books to use with later guides for my dd. ;-)

I hope some of this helps.

Oh my, 20 years! You are so patient! We have been in the fifth wheel since September of last year. I have to say I feel like Im going batty some days;)

We stopped doing the guide at Unit 28. Up until then we did History Reading, Bible Reading, Memoery verse, Devotional, math, Fine Motor skills, Phonics, And Storytime regularly. He has finished math and we are in Lesson 16 of The Reading Lesson. We still do reading every day. Things that were missed were two of the Burgess Story books, Bible study activities, Rotating box (Artistic Expression, Science, Dramatic Play, and Thinking Games) and units 29 thru 34.

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Mumkins wrote:I'd do Beyond with 7 yo and 3 Rs with 5yo. Waiting a year puts your your 5yo finishing the last guide in grade 12 anyway.
Thank you!

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Carrie wrote:Tammy,

In reading through your post, I was thinking that since you commented that lots of things were skipped this past year when your son did LHFHG that it may be possible for both he and your daughter to be combined in LHFHG for the left side of the plans and story time from the right side of LHFHG this coming year. If you already did all of the Burgess books from LHFHG, you could either reread them with both kiddos this year, making sure to do all of the activities in the LHFHG guide, or you could do the story time from Beyond with both kiddos instead. Since you already own the Beyond guide, you could just have your son do the right side of Beyond for the 3R's (i.e. spelling, grammar, emerging reader, and math) and have your daughter do all of LHFHG. If you did this, you could potentially keep your older two kiddos together for History, Bible, science, devotions, poetry etc. through the years and just have them to do their own 3R's (with your son borrowing his 3R's from the guide above for awhile). :D

If you do decide to head back through LHFHG, I would try hard not to skip things if at all possible. So, if you have to substitute for supplies you may not have, try to substitute rather than skip the box. You can get really creative with the substitutions if need be, but try to get something out of each box each day even if you have to really improvise. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
I have to say that it never occured to me to re-do the left side of LHFHG with the oldest and combine both kids. I was so set on teaching them separately! However, at this point I really think combining them for as much as possible would be easier on my nerves and time. Something to pray about for sure. Thank you for taking the time to answer Carrie, I really appriciate it!

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm

We've moved 3 times in the last three years, so I can relate to your situation!! For a few seasons, I was just doing the 3 Rs and reading Bible stories and a good read aloud daily, all cuddled up with a boy on either side of me, and those are treasured times!! We did this almost all last year while remodeling our house.... and to be honest, it was awesome! It took a huge load off my shoulders for that time, to not have to keep up with a curriculum and have mommy guilt if I couldn't find a needed supply because it was packed away. Now we are settled and jumping right into Little Hearts and Bigger, and I am ready to tackle it! I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's OK to just do the basics, like so many mamas have suggested. For me, sometimes I just need to hear from other moms confirmation to what God's already putting on my heart. I think we can hold ourselves to a super high standard as homeschooling moms, and sometimes we just need to give ourselves some grace, especially in situations like yours. Blessings as the Lord leads you!
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:08 pm

It matters where they place according to the placement chart. I have a few ideas that may help. But first, can you share about each of them please, in regard to the first page of the placement chart? That would help! Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 am

twolittlebears wrote:We've moved 3 times in the last three years, so I can relate to your situation!! For a few seasons, I was just doing the 3 Rs and reading Bible stories and a good read aloud daily, all cuddled up with a boy on either side of me, and those are treasured times!! We did this almost all last year while remodeling our house.... and to be honest, it was awesome! It took a huge load off my shoulders for that time, to not have to keep up with a curriculum and have mommy guilt if I couldn't find a needed supply because it was packed away. Now we are settled and jumping right into Little Hearts and Bigger, and I am ready to tackle it! I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's OK to just do the basics, like so many mamas have suggested. For me, sometimes I just need to hear from other moms confirmation to what God's already putting on my heart. I think we can hold ourselves to a super high standard as homeschooling moms, and sometimes we just need to give ourselves some grace, especially in situations like yours. Blessings as the Lord leads you!
Wow three times in three years! Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes most of my struggle comes from being completely unorganized due to lack of space. I love HOD and its simplicity but homeschooling is a bit kore difficult when you dont have space for anything, lol. Its hard working out of cardboard boxes and a storage unit. Thanks for taking the time to comment and encourage me :)

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 am

my3sons wrote:It matters where they place according to the placement chart. I have a few ideas that may help. But first, can you share about each of them please, in regard to the first page of the placement chart? That would help! Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Hi Julie! According to the first page of the placement chart my oldest fits squarely in Beyond and my youngest fits squarely in LHFHG. My oldest has finished the Singapore Essentials K math. We are on unit 16 of the Reading Lesson and do reading almost every day. He likes handwriting and loves to make cards/letters for family and friends. He is definitely ready for spelling.
My youngest is starting to sound out CVC words and is ready for The Reading Lesson. He is really good at copying sentances but needs instruction on letter formation. He is ready for basic instruction for math.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:06 am

Hi Tawny! :D Thanks for sharing about the placement chart - that helps so much! :) In reading through all of this, and in thinking it over, one thing keeps coming to mind. It is a Bible verse actually... And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28 - a favorite of mine and of my Dad's). I am a firm believer that this is true! God works all things - ALL things - for the the good of those who love Him. Well, you are using HOD which is a totally Christ-centered curriculum, so I'm about 100% sure you love Him! :D

So, I think God knows this is a trying time in your life right now, and I think that He has worked this somewhat stressful time for your good. How? Well, He's made it possible and even best to combine your 2 dc in homeschooling! :D Your 2 dc are very close in age, you are a busy young mama with a tough living situation right now, and you actually could combine these 2 dc for now and for all the years to come quite easily. :) Could it be the travel trailer is a gift from God to work out the rest of your life for the better? Maybe!

I see absolutely no reason that you cannot combine your 2 dc in LHFHG, using the spelling list and math from Beyond as well as the Beyond RA's in place of all but the 2 Burgess Books that were read (using the Beyond follow-up skills for RA's). He can finish out TRL and begin the ERS then. He also can do ARHW A from LHFHG, which will have him working on forming his letters properly as well as writing words and sentences (and sentences in the form of Bible verses, another gift from the Lord). He can also do the Grade 1 Fine Motor Skills books from LHFHG, Going on Eagerly and Just Thinking and Choosing. You can use the Grade 1 Science from LHFHG, or just use the K Science again if you'd rather. In LHFHG, much of the learning is accomplished through activities/hands-on, etc. follow-ups, so by doing all of those, switching out the RA's and doing Beyond's follow-ups, switching out the science text, and by changing up the noted things for your older ds, as well as by finishing the last 6 weeks that have not been done at all of the guide, you are on the path for not only a super year, but a super future of combining your dc for all the years to come! :D I'm getting excited about this idea for you and your dear family! Ok, are some things a repeat for older ds, yep. But, did you ever have your mom reread you books when you were 7 yo? :shock: My mom read the same 2 Bible Storybooks for 8 years every single night to us - every single night. Do you know what my 2 favorite books on my shelf are? The 2 I'd want to grab if there was a fire in our house? Yeah- the 2 books I heard a bazillion times as a child. Your 7 yo will be fine, and will probably remember even more of his history, etc. in the end, especially by also doing all the follow-up things. But, what do you think?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 pm

my3sons wrote:Hi Tawny! :D Thanks for sharing about the placement chart - that helps so much! :) In reading through all of this, and in thinking it over, one thing keeps coming to mind. It is a Bible verse actually... And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28 - a favorite of mine and of my Dad's). I am a firm believer that this is true! God works all things - ALL things - for the the good of those who love Him. Well, you are using HOD which is a totally Christ-centered curriculum, so I'm about 100% sure you love Him! :D

So, I think God knows this is a trying time in your life right now, and I think that He has worked this somewhat stressful time for your good. How? Well, He's made it possible and even best to combine your 2 dc in homeschooling! :D Your 2 dc are very close in age, you are a busy young mama with a tough living situation right now, and you actually could combine these 2 dc for now and for all the years to come quite easily. :) Could it be the travel trailer is a gift from God to work out the rest of your life for the better? Maybe!

I see absolutely no reason that you cannot combine your 2 dc in LHFHG, using the spelling list and math from Beyond as well as the Beyond RA's in place of all but the 2 Burgess Books that were read (using the Beyond follow-up skills for RA's). He can finish out TRL and begin the ERS then. He also can do ARHW A from LHFHG, which will have him working on forming his letters properly as well as writing words and sentences (and sentences in the form of Bible verses, another gift from the Lord). He can also do the Grade 1 Fine Motor Skills books from LHFHG, Going on Eagerly and Just Thinking and Choosing. You can use the Grade 1 Science from LHFHG, or just use the K Science again if you'd rather. In LHFHG, much of the learning is accomplished through activities/hands-on, etc. follow-ups, so by doing all of those, switching out the RA's and doing Beyond's follow-ups, switching out the science text, and by changing up the noted things for your older ds, as well as by finishing the last 6 weeks that have not been done at all of the guide, you are on the path for not only a super year, but a super future of combining your dc for all the years to come! :D I'm getting excited about this idea for you and your dear family! Ok, are some things a repeat for older ds, yep. But, did you ever have your mom reread you books when you were 7 yo? :shock: My mom read the same 2 Bible Storybooks for 8 years every single night to us - every single night. Do you know what my 2 favorite books on my shelf are? The 2 I'd want to grab if there was a fire in our house? Yeah- the 2 books I heard a bazillion times as a child. Your 7 yo will be fine, and will probably remember even more of his history, etc. in the end, especially by also doing all the follow-up things. But, what do you think?

In Christ,
Julie

What a great verse and a great reminder as well! Yes, this past year has been the most stressful and trying for us all. Im going to write that verse on a notecard and tape it to the fridge :)

Im really liking the idea of doing LHFHG with both boys. I ran the idea by my husband and he thought it was the way to go. My oldest loves the idea of reading back through the bible. He kept asking to read from it when we switched to the history. Can you believe when I purchased Beyond I had bought both the classic and boy RA packages. They both sounded so good I had a hard time choosing. I had no idea when we would find the time to read them all. Well, now I know! We can read the classics this year and the boy choices next year with Beyond :)

So, when we are doing the RA activities from the Beyond guide this year, am I including the 5yo as well?
Next year when doing Beyond will we repeat the RA activities with the other book package?

I have other questions for next year but I can save them for next year. :)