Opinion Poll: Storytime for the new book (after Preparing)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jodi

Re: Opinion Poll: Storytime for the new book (after Preparing)

Post by Jodi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm leaning towards saying that un-related storytime books might be good because it wouldn't make for over-kill on the topic. Un-related story time might introduce us to fun books we might not normal pick up and give a little variety to the year. I haven't even started my first year with HOD though so take this for what it's worth. LOL I'm sure either way would be good. My particular kids, and we do have some LD's or ADHD in one case for the boys. it seems to go better when we don't over do a topic. Of course the other thought is that people can choose to do or not do the story time books too, from what I've seen. or change them up a bit. Or you could even use topical story time books when possible and a good fit for the curriculum and age range and other good books weeks you don't find a storybook you feel is appropriate.

Again this is from a newbie who hasn't even begun using the products yet and either option has pros and cons!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Opinion Poll: Storytime for the new book (after Preparing)

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Ooh, Ladies! What truly excellent responses. There is much wisdom throughout your posts and much to ponder. :D I agree that our kiddos need to be exposed to pagan gods and cultures in order to know how to respond to them, and I also agree that this is best done through the context of the Bible. This is where the spines of our newest program come in! I'll give you a peek into what were planning (while always reserving the right to change our minds)! :lol:

I'll do this to give a fuller picture of what you're weighing, when the read-aloud question for storytime comes up! :wink:

Our plan is for the Economy Package to include "The Story of the Ancient World" by H.A. Guerber, with text added and edited by Christine Miller (for the students to read on their own if possible). The link for that text is here:
http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber/ancient.html

The Economy Package will also include the newly released classics "Streams of History: Ancient Greece" by Kemp and "Streams of History: Ancient Rome" also by Kemp (for the students to read on their own if possible). The link for these texts is here:
http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf
http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf

To end the year with a wonderful picture of Christ and the spread of the gospel, the kiddos will read the entire gospel of John from their Bibles, and the first 13 chapters of Acts (on their own if possible).

In addition, we plan to include "Genesis: Finding Our Roots" for the parents to read and disucss with the kiddos throughout the year, and "A Child's Geography of the Bible Lands" for the parents to read and discuss with their kiddos as well.
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... overs#curr
http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/acg2.htm

Those books would all make up the Economy Package, along with the Teacher's Guide.

Additionally, there will be a package that includes materials for students to use independently to enhance their history study. In Preparing Hearts...., we used literature for that package, but in the new ancients book, we will be using that bottom left box of the plans for materials that teach kiddos needed skills by presenting history in a different way (to hit the different types of learners). Right now, we are planning for that box to include "Diana Waring's audio CD's: "What in the World's Going on Here? Volume 1". These will be matched with the history readings. Our plan is for students to begin some very basic outlining skills by filling in information in a provided outline (in their notebook) while listening (or after listening) to Diana's talk/lecture on the subject matter. Here's the link:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 5,232.aspx

The bottom left box of the plans will most likely also include assignments from "Draw and Write Through History" Volume 2. These sketches and cursive copywork will be added to the notebook as well. The book is linked here: http://www.drawandwrite.com/testimonials.html

In addition, there will be some sort of history encyclopedia for kiddos to use as a reference. We may very well use the Usborne Ancient World Encyclopedia, included in the Extension Package of Preparing.... for that purpose. Notebook entries will be created based on material provided in the reference encycloedia. We hope to provide a set of student pages for purchase that will actually be a notebook template all ready to go (reproducible for family use), and the guide would direct students when to make an entry and where to make it within the notebook. :D

So, you can see that there will be extensive coverage of the Bible with the pagan gods and cultures woven into the stories within the context of the Hebrew people's interaction with them.

However, while each of these items (except the encyclopedia) are living books, they are not historical fiction from the time period. At this point, it is looking like the Extension Package will contain historical fiction readings for the 12-13+ old audience that match with the general time periods. The 12-13+ year old range is a much different age range maturity-wise then the 9-11 target range for the rest of the materials. So, I am more comfortable including historical fiction there. My thoughts at this point are that those families who really desire to read-aloud coordinating historical fiction, could read-aloud the Extension Package to their kiddos (knowing that some of the content will be more mature). Then, the storytime would include choice of a Boy and Girl Set of Read-Alouds (with possibly one or two appropriate historical fiction books that match the time period, only if they end up being a truly excellent choice). The Storytime would not be matched to the history overall, but would have all 9 genres represented, so kiddos get to listen to a variety of stories. :D

Drawn into the Heart of Reading would also provide further literature exposure, with books targeted specifically at each child's interests and ability levels.

Anyway, I'm still pondering, but you've given me some wonderful things to think about! I'm am grateful for the input of each and every one of you! :wink:

Consequently, Charlotte Mason did not match her read-aloud books to the historical time period being studied in history in the way we are contemplating here. She instead used books that were written AT the time of the historical time period being studied (but the subject matter of the book may not match the history events being studied). She felt that using authors who were alive during the period being studied would automatically bring the period to life. She also continued to read-aloud from a variety of genres providing a "buffet" for her eager listeners. I am inclined to do the same! :D

Blessings,
Carrie