Multiplication Facts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Multiplication Facts

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:58 pm

What is the best way you have found to help your kids memorize their multiplication facts? Skip Counting? Skip Counting Songs? Multiplication Songs? Flash Cards? Memorizing Times Tables by rote?

If you've used songs with success, please share what you used. Thanks!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

raindrops

Re: Multiplication Facts

Post by raindrops » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Oh, oh! I can tell you what we were doing last week. We were learning "counting by fours" but chanting them in funny voices into a fan. It sounded halarious! I video'd my son doing this and then he wanted to watch the video several times so he heard himself counting by 4's over and over. It was very successful. He totally learned it that day. And he walks around counting by 4's now just for fun because it made such a happy effect on his brain. Heh.

And I will hold up my fingers as he is skip counting so he can see 4 times what (how many fingers I have up) equals what he is saying (oh, that didn't make sense, did it?)
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Great idea. I like the idea of skip counting because it will also be useful in division.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:00 pm

My kids memorized their facts by starting with skip counting that just morphed into them remembering it.

I don't know if you have heard of the Waldorf way of memorizing your facts or not but there are some you tube videos on it. I had never of it a friend showed me the link. It is very visual. The video was interesting but it is also similar to skip counting. It just provides a way for a child to skip count more easily IMHO.

I also know of a friend who's kids are very good at memorizing stuff if it is in a story form. They had the book Times Tales. It is a book that tells a story and it has many multiplication facts in it. Her kids memorized the story and that helped them memorize the fact. I personally am not that type of learner at all and I found the book very confusion. It literally has nothing at all to do with why the fact is the fact. It is just a story and incorporates different characters in the story that live places that answer the fact. Weird to me but perfect for her child.

I don't do a lot of flash cards but many moms I know will keep cards in the car and they do them when they are driving. I remember when I was younger that is what my mom did with me and my bro (I have a twin brother). We would complete in the back seat on the way to places. Math was the only subject in school that I was better than him at so it was a very memorable experience for me :-).
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:27 pm

I will third the recommendation for skip counting. For very active kids, doing it while jumping on a trampoline or swinging works well. Maybe bouncing a ball? Skip counting can easily morph into times tables. Rather than 4, 8, 12, 16.... then you go 4X1 is 4, 4X2 is 8, 4X3 is 12....
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:56 am

7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:32 am

Have you heard of Skip Count Kids? My kids love those songs and they've got a CD called The Bible Heroes. My kids learned to skip count by threes by singing the Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego song. It's so catchy!

They do also have a regular (non-Bible) CD also. I found I liked some from each so downloaded some individually on iTunes depending on which I liked better. :-)
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:31 pm

For my middle dd, skip counting worked great. My youngest is struggling with remembering the order of doing that. Just memorizing rote facts is not her strong suit either. She stares at the charts. I explain how to work on memorizing them, and she claims she doesn't know what to do. She is my wiggle worm.

We added in card games this year. My youngest loves playing 7 ate 9. We found a multiplication game she likes. The name escapes me. I just bought Multiplication Wars and Division Wars from Barnes and Noble. She works slow, but loves playing these card games. I hope skip counting sinks in soon for her. It seems so much easier than what she is currently wanting to do.

I will have to try the fan and funny voices. That is right up her alley!
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.