Beyond vs. Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kc&sc

Beyond vs. Bigger

Post by kc&sc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:03 pm

I am new to HOD, and struggling with the choice between Beyond and Bigger. My children are 8 and 9, and I plan to group them together. We have been using Mystery of History and just completed Volume 2. We have been enjoying the journey so far, but I feel drawn to HOD. I just don't know which guidebook would make for a better transition. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Jennymommy

Re: Beyond vs. Bigger

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:49 pm

It is generally wise to go with the younger guide and do extensions for the older child. But first, where do they place on the charts? That will help us to help you :D You could also print the sample weeks for each guide and compare them side-by-side.

kc&sc

Post by kc&sc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:15 pm

My daughter: reading independently, able to form her own sentences in manuscript, currently working on simple dictation, learning cursive letter formation, math Singapore 2B, understanding of basic grammar, starting working on diagramming sentences. My son: emerging reader, able to complete copywork in manuscript, ready to begin simple dictation, learning cursive letter formation (struggling a bit), starting Math-U-See Gamma, understanding of basic grammar, starting working on diagramming sentences.
Again, I appreciate your help! Thanks :)

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm

I would lean toward Beyond, using extensions and DITHOR for your daughter. You could use the girl choices and level 2/3 student book for DITHOR, as well as Rod and Staff English 2 for her if she needs the challenge. Do whatever math you feel is appropriate for each of them, though if you switch to Singapore, the extra activities and schedule are already in the book. For your son, you would use the emerging readers and activities from the appendix. From there, just make sure to do all the activities as written so dc are ready for the next guide, which will be quite a jump in handwriting. Also, maybe do the boy set or history interest read alouds for your son 8) If it is too much for him, it is fine to slow him down...they would be on different schedules, but a frustrated boy learns very little (I know from experience :| ) God bless :D

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:33 pm

Oh yes, be prepared to separate them possibly in the future...girl maturity and boy energy don't always mix well for schooling togetherness :roll:

kc&sc

Post by kc&sc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Thank you so much for your help! I feel better now about the whole thing. It always helps to talk with someone who has experience! God Bless :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:50 pm

Bigger might be a better fit. It is the standard/average guide for a third grader, and your 8yo sounds fairly average of not advanced. Beyond does not have extensions (those start in Bigger), and it would probably be fairly simple yet could be more fun. Bigger is definitely more mature and more like school but still not dry. There is a lot more writing required in Bigger, and the history books aren't as "fun." But, we are still enjoying it (finished unit 3)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

kc&sc

Post by kc&sc » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi! Thanks for the response. When you say a lot more writing in Bigger, how much writing are we talking about? They currently write 3-5 sentences when they do their history narrations, along with daily handwriting, and spelling every other day. They also do book reports after each read aloud we do (my son dictates his to me, and then does copywork to complete his report). Thanks for your help!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:11 am

I think she was saying that Bigger has a lot more writing than Beyond - comparatively. With what you have shared about the volume of writing they do currently, they will be fine Bigger.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:22 am

In Bigger, there is daily writing for cursive/copywork, working/dictation, and grammar. Then once a week there is a science notebooking page, science lab page, vocabulary cards (1-3 words with the definition, sentence, and picture), memory verse copywork, history notebooking page, and timeline entries. Occasionally there is some writing for storytime, geography, or art as well.
In Beyond, on days 1-4 there is spelling and copywork. On day 5 there is grammar. Like Bigger, there is occasionally writing for storytime art, etc. There is also a timeline, but not all units have an entry.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:57 am

I think that Bigger will be a better fit according to their skills. Have an awesome year!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:30 am

I also think Bigger would be great based on what you described. :)

kc&sc

Post by kc&sc » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:58 am

Thank you to EVERYONE for being so helpful! 8) Based on all your input, I am looking into going with Bigger. We are looking forward to an awesome year with HOD. God Bless! :D