BLHFHG Science question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twolittlebears

BLHFHG Science question

Post by twolittlebears » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:52 pm

I am using Little hearts using God's Wonderful Works for the science, and following the schedule in the back of the manual. What will I use next year with Beyond for his science? All I saw listed on the website is God's Wonderful Works.
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

hs.mama07

Re: BLHFHG Science question

Post by hs.mama07 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:13 pm

I have always wondered the same thing...will look forward to hearing an answer!

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm not sure what you should do with Beyond, but why are you using "God's Wonderful Works" with LHFHG? Aren't the science choices for that guide either "The World God Made" or "Our Father's World"? Maybe I'm missing something...
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:09 pm

There's a supplemental list in the back of the guide for both the 1st and 2nd grade books. Though the website doesn't sell the 2nd grade book with LHFHG. ?? :-) Maybe you can buy the 1st grade book and save the 2nd for Beyond. You can always beef things up a bit if 1st is too light.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:52 pm

Since the science readings are optional you could not do them. You could also just do them, since the readings relate more to the history topic than they do to any kind of order in God's Wonderful Works. It would be repeat but certainly not redundant or boring IMO. The hands-on activities are what my kids love and learn the most from, and I have found myself not really using the science books much with LHFHG and Beyond. The readings are good and they do add to the science being learned, but just a simple discussion of the activity can accomplish nearly the same thing.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:13 pm

MeInKansas...thank you so much! That info is very helpful! I didn't realize that I could bypass the book or that the science text ties more into history. Now I'm not so worried. I can do the science experiments in Beyond and be right on task! :D

Farmfamily...No, you didn't miss anything. I am using the 2nd grade science text because my son is going into 2nd and the younger texts are too young for him. In the back of the Little Hearts guide there is an alternative science plan using the 2nd grade science text, and that's what I'm doing. Since its' offered as an alternative, I was inquiring as to what the alternative is for Beyond for a 3rd grade text. :D
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)