New Member: Question About Use of Extensions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynn3ggb

New Member: Question About Use of Extensions

Post by Lynn3ggb » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Although my son has used the CTC program, I am new to the board. I will be using two HOD guides next school year(WH & either Rev to Rev or MTMM). I am getting many questions answered by reading the posts here. I do have a question I haven't seen browsing yet. We did not use HOD last year so I am still deciding whether to use REV to REV with extensions or MTMM with extensions. My question is: Would the Self Study Extension Packs be in addition to the History Read Alouds Basic Package or do they replace them?

Rice

Re: New Member: Question About Use of Extensions

Post by Rice » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:27 pm

If your child is old enough to need Extensions, they are in addition to the rest of the guide. The book descriptions, assignments and schedule for Extensions are in the appendix.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Lynn3ggb

Post by Lynn3ggb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:53 am

Thanks so much. I didn't want to overwhelm my son if the extensions were meant to be done alone. I really appreciate the information. :D

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:17 am

I have seen a post from Carrie where the extensions can be used in place of the read alouds in the older guides. I just can't remember which guide that starts with.
t
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:08 am

We did MTMM with a combo of readers and extension readers. The extension readers are very mature in content, which I embrace for my oldest, but will not be doing with my youngest. May I ask the ages of your dc and their placement on the charts? We could give better advice with that information :D

Lynn3ggb

Post by Lynn3ggb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 pm

My dd will be 15 this fall and places solidly in the World Geography guide. She will be completing Alg I this fall. She is a high achieving student who learns easily and can concentrate for very long periods of time. I have no doubt she could do even the most challenging math course as long as it is highly self instructional and has thorough explanations. This is important since I will not be of much help to her.

My ds will be 14 this fall. He learns easily and is very smart and can learn large amounts of information and even memorize it IF he finds it worth his time, but has hard time focusing and retaining the information if the topic does not interest him. He likes to do things quickly move on to something else and it causes him to forget concepts. He is well above his grade level in reading, spelling and vocabulary and prefers to learn by reading, but despises the technical stuff like writing, grammar and math.

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Your son may really enjoy books from both MTMM packages as my ds did 8) There were some very masculine, exciting selections, and that was enough to encourage the writing for my ds :lol:
It sounds like your daughter is going to enjoy WG as well, once you get the math pinned down. God bless :D