Dictation Clarification

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Dictation Clarification

Post by mrsrandolph » Sat May 30, 2015 10:14 pm

There is a discussion about dictation going on in another group, and I want to seek clarification of how we are "supposed" to be doing it. Some people are only giving their kids a few words at a time to dictate to break it into what they call "managable chunks",

As tempting as that may be, my understanding is that we are to give them one PHRASE at a time, stopping only at periods, and that the student has to remember the passage up to that period.

Can anyone clarify?

I realize that spelling is the main POINT of dictation, but memory and sustained attention is part of it too, right?
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

farmfamily

Re: Dictation Clarification

Post by farmfamily » Sun May 31, 2015 7:58 am

I only dictate 3 to 5 words at a time. I got this idea from Julie in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12604&hilit=dictation+few+words

I wouldn't call an entire sentence a "phrase." I feel like just stopping at punctuation in one sense might actually make it easier because it gives them a hint that there is a period/comma there. However re-reading this thread was good for me, as I often repeat the phrase & I see Carrie specifically says we're not supposed to do that. I hadn't thought that remembering words was the point at all: just spelling & grammar.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

Nealewill

Re: Dictation Clarification

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:05 am

I think it depends on the child. For my girls, I can give them many more words at a time than my son. My oldest gets frustrated if I only give her a few words at a time. She usually wants me to read up to the punctuation when I can because she said the flow sounds better to her. My son - my goodness! He can only get about 3 words at a time! My youngest, she is in level 2 and I just give her one sentence at a time. That works really well for her.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM