New to HOD, Independent Boxes

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jjn3beans

New to HOD, Independent Boxes

Post by jjn3beans » Sat May 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Hey all! We are new to HOD this upcoming year. Since I had already purchased much of a different program bit by bit for the upcoming year, I am in the position of having to use the books. Since both girls place solidly into RtR now, I'm planning on using Rev to Rev in full after this upcoming year.

Anyway, I was going to try to "wing it" and try to get them ready for Rev to Rev in the areas of oral narration and narration and whatever other skills would be needed (using the placement chart), but decided it would be best to do the skills assignments in RtR, but try to use it with the books I already had. I purchased the RtR guide, and I think I can do this. It's not ideal, but I have to use what I have for the sake of the budget. :) Sooooo, long story short, we're doing the oral narration, written narration, quiet time, devotion/poetry/art appreciation box, language arts box, and science (basically all the right side plus some skills assignments from the left side).

Finally on to my question! :lol: My older dd's (12 and 11 in Aug) have been doing many subjects independently, and I see no problems with that. They do math and grammar independently. They read readers independently and have been doing DITHOR independent parts for about a month now. Are there any tricks or suggestions or observations on how to ease them into independence in science reading/notebooking and quiet time? Up to now, I have pretty much read everything to them. In hindsight, I should have handed over science sooner. I know we'll make it into independence in these things, but any wisdom from someone who's been there already will help immensely.

Thanks for reading all that. :wink:
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)

MelInKansas

Re: New to HOD, Independent Boxes

Post by MelInKansas » Sat May 30, 2015 8:40 pm

I guess with them being 11 and 12 years old, and already being used to doing some work independently, my thought is just check up on them more during the first few weeks. Work should always be checked over, but you may need to be more nearby to see if they need help while actually doing the work. Do they generally read and follow directions well? Would multi-step tasks without your help be something they would struggle to complete thoroughly? My 10YO, as many kids, needs accountability to make sure she follows through and follows the directions well. The sooner this happens after she's finished the work the better.

Also will they be working together on experiments and things? I assume so if they are doing the same guide. Will they get along well doing that? That will be another place you may need to help them get going and get into a good routine. Maybe they should take turns reading the directions and kind of "running" the experiment, with the other as an assistant who does what is asked.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Sun May 31, 2015 7:44 am

They haven't done much of step-by-step instructions. I suppose there have been some times they've done this, but not on a consistent basis. I didn't even think of the science experiments! DD12 is at a time where she wants to do her own thing more and more. We may have to meet together for a while for science experiments to flesh out a plan of working together. They've always had me in the mix to temper anything. I do like the idea of one being in charge each time. Something new to think about. Thank you! :)
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:21 pm

I personally struggle with how to help/expect my DD to do the Bible Quiet Time box. Because she doesn't always follow through with other tasks unless there is accountability for it, but most of the instructions in the Bible Quiet Time box are things I can't really check up on whether or not she has done (and she often lies, something we are working on with her character). Like "Pray a prayer of...." I have talked to her about why that is important, and perhaps this is something I should keep doing with her, or being part of what she does for a little while. Anyway, you know your children best and know what they will probably need help/accountability with. When you start the guide, you just need to probably walk through most of it with them each day for at least a whole week, if not two. Be right alongside them to help them figure out what is expected of them. Then set up your daily schedule so you meet with them at different times to go over what they have done (or have a system of grading the work and getting it back to them so they know you will be doing it). That's my advice. I bet they will do great!
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks Melissa. I've been eyeing that personal quiet time as well, wondering what my DD12 will do with it. As far as I know, she doesn't tend to lie, but she is passive and a bit lazy :? :wink: . I was thinking of having her write out her prayers, but I still don't really feel comfortable checking it, as that seems a private thing. Maybe I'll have her write, tell her I'll glance to make sure she's done it, but I won't read it. She probably wouldn't care if I read it anyway, but she does like privacy, and I oftentimes blunder and walk right into it! :roll:

I'll talk to the girls to see if they have ideas on how to handle science experiments. I was just going to have them do it independently, separate from each other, but I suppose supplies comes into play then. Do you think it would be just fine to have them do it completely separate? DD12 might raise her fists (not literally, haha) if she has to do it with her younger sister. Goodness, she's my guinea pig.
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:44 am

Then again, faith is such a personal thing, I can't force her to do something regarding her relationship with Jesus... Thoughts?
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:44 pm

It is true that we do not have the power to save, but blessedly Jesus does, and that is why He is our one and only Savior. I have struggled with balancing 'checking up' on Bible Quiet Time with letting the Holy Spirit work on our sons' hearts. One thing I wanted to foster in our dc from a young age is that starting your day with a Bible Quiet Time is an incredibly great habit to have. I am thankful HOD encourages this by planning for it within the guides. Our sons generally do their Bible Quiet Times first thing in the morning in their bedrooms. My thought on this is to encourage this as a habit first thing in the morning. Our kiddos do have headphones/earbuds and CD players by their beds, as well as the prayer starter in a clear plastic sleeve near them, and their Bibles and workbook, etc. materials. I try to do my Bible Quiet Time first thing in my bedroom first, and they have walked in to see me praying, reading my Bible, etc. ample times, to which I ask them to check back when I'm done with my Bible Quiet Time. I also make it a habit to start our day with Christian Praise Music, which we have all contributed ideas for songs on my IPod, which is really a family IPod of sorts (in fact turning on the praise music first thing when we come downstairs is assigned to my middle ds as a task). We listen to this as we do chores. I also have our dc take turns praying at meals, as well occasionally asking for prayer requests from each other. Now, some mornings I've missed my Quiet Time, some times my ds has forgotten to turn on the music, sometimes we forget to talk about prayer requests for weeks on end, sometimes things don't go just so and we don't have such kind, loving attitudes - we are not perfect - but most days we try to stick to these norms. :D So, in this way, I am trying to model an informal Bible Quiet Time by the way we just do our days together, as well as do one myself, which I need accountability for too. :wink:

What I did in RTR last year with Riley was check the Hidden Treasures in Philippians work daily, discussing any descrepancies in a heart-to-heart way. I checked his Common Place Book entries. I also asked if he'd done his music and prayer time, and occasionally I'd ask what he'd prayed for, in a casual way. I had him say his Scripture verse for me from start to finish at least 1 time and usually 2 times a week. If he didn't know it, I'd help him practice it with hand motions, or I'd offer to give him 10 minutes to study it in a way of his own and then have him say it for me. We really had a wonderful time discussing the Boyhood and Beyond devotional topics, and that is where I really spent a lot of time having heart to hearts and sharing more. I have actually told each of our sons that as much as I personally want to 'save them' that it is up to them to truly accept Jesus into their hearts, and to live their lives changed because of it. There is no 'riding the coat-tails of parents into heaven.' They seem to be taking it seriously and to heart. This summer we are not schooling, but we are doing an informal Bible Quiet Time all together in our living room, praying on our own, sharing requests, and then starting our day with praise music and prayer at meals. Sometimes I challenge our older sons to try to say a family prayer with each of the parts of prayer in it, but not often. I try to pray that way myself instead. I'm not sure if this helps, but faith is something that one comes to in many ways, and too much checking up makes it just another assignment, and not personal enough somehow. I am striving for this balance myself each day. Probably my most effective moments are when I remember to pray for each of my dc to know Christ personally. I hope something here helps! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:56 pm

I just realized you had also asked about science, and other multiple step directions for independent learning. Here are some things that have helped foster successful independence in our dc when first taking over these skills...
*they use the guide as their own student planner, reading directly from it themselves, and checking off or initialing the corner of the box when they finish it
*the first few weeks of doing a guide, I sit by their side and have them read the directions in their heads for the box they are going to be doing independently, then I have them get out the right materials, tell me what they are going to be doing in the order they are going to be doing it while reading it right out of the guide in their hands, and help draw their attention to anything they missed
*for a few weeks, I check to be sure they are off to a good start, doing the first several steps correctly
*I try to check their work right away to be sure we fix anything done incorrectly
*if they are struggling, I'll spend more time having them reread the directions while holding the guide in their hands, and I'll have them tell me the steps they'll take gesturing to the materials they'll be using (i.e. I'll copy this Bible verse here at the top of this paper, I'll follow these steps of drawing/labeling this here on the paper using this page of this book to follow for directions, I'll draw the map/object here about this big - pointing with finger pretending to draw, I'll save this and color it the next day, etc.).

This has helped each of our dc pay attention to detail and see the need for picturing the finished project rather than just do steps one at a time with no idea of the end result desired. Simply being by their side to be an encourager at first and not a fault finder has gotten us off on the right foot usually. As each guide as rotating skills /activities that repeat throughout the year, it is exciting to see the improvement that comes from starting off right and keeping on the right track. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:53 pm

You could easily probably have them do the science experiments and activities separately. Only one day of the week is experiments anyway, the rest is reading and/or writing about science. As with other independent activities, you would have to figure out how to allow each one to use the guide to read the instructions, and have the books or materials they need in order to complete their tasks. Scheduling is probably one of the things I still have to do that gets more complicated as they get older (and as I have more of them I have to teach). I hope you figure it all out!

In the back of the CTC guide there are narration tips which should guide you on what narration is all about. You could certainly have your children be reading and narrating to you, or writing narrations, through the summer. Again, for the independent boxes, the most important skill is the ability to read and follow instructions well, and to pay attention to the details. My DD and I go back and forth about this so often, though I have to fight against myself requiring perfection and give her grace as she is only 10 years old! Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:07 am

Thank you all for your responses! I'll have to chew on everything before we start. There's always a time when we first start up for finding a groove and then settling in. It's always a bit rocky when we first start out after a long break.
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)