LHTH for Sunday School?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mylittlewomen

LHTH for Sunday School?

Post by mylittlewomen » Sun May 17, 2015 3:30 pm

We looooved LHTH for preschool this past year, and are just starting a new church! We are currently doing all ages in one Sunday School class, but when we are able to split, I am looking forward to using LHTH with the little ones! Has anyone else done this (Julie, I think you mentioned you had!)? I'd love to hear what others have done. Did you only use the Bible-story-related activities? Any other tips are welcome.

It could be really cool if HOD offered a sort of how-to-use-LHTH-for-Sunday-school appendix or something :) :)
Janelle
Married to my best friend for 12 years
Mama to 3 sweet girls, ages 6, 8, and 10
Working Bigger with my oldest two, and Little Hearts with my little one!

mrsrandolph

Re: LHTH for Sunday School?

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

I used the Rhymes in LHFHG for Sunday School as well as the Bible Readings.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:46 am

I did it for Sunday School years ago and it was just so much fun!! I did each "week" of LHTH over 2 class times. We obviously did not get to every activity, but with about 45 minutes for each class, we got through a lot. I added some songs I thought they'd like that fit with the theme of the lessons when possible. I also (even at home) add songs to different points in the lesson. Like at the beginning we always sing "This is the day that the Lord has made" and then before we read the Bible we sing "Read your Bible and pray every day." I kept a lot of their papers to make little books for them. Obviously all of their books didn't have everything, just because kids would miss, but I tried to add a blank number 3 paper or whatever if they missed so they had all the numbers. I sent home the hide and seek and count on me papers, but kept most of the other stuff they did. I just tried to have 1 thing to send home each time, and at least 1 paper to keep. I sort of shuffled the activity order if I needed to. This sounds like a lot of work, but pretty much I just opened the guide each week when I was planning and printed what I needed to and then just worked out of the guide. I made some notes to myself with post-its, but it was still basically open and go. Let me know if you have any other questions and I can try to explain better.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

mylittlewomen

Post by mylittlewomen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks, Mommamo!
So, did you do all the alphabet and math stuff too? I was thinking I might just do the things that were directly related to the Bible story itself, but maybe that wouldn't take up enough time? Did you read more than one Bible story at once, or just pick two from the week to focus on?
Janelle
Married to my best friend for 12 years
Mama to 3 sweet girls, ages 6, 8, and 10
Working Bigger with my oldest two, and Little Hearts with my little one!

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:15 pm

mylittlewomen wrote:Thanks, Mommamo!
So, did you do all the alphabet and math stuff too? I was thinking I might just do the things that were directly related to the Bible story itself, but maybe that wouldn't take up enough time? Did you read more than one Bible story at once, or just pick two from the week to focus on?
Yep! We did the math and the alphabet activities. It was so much fun. We read 2 stories usually (so one would get left out over the 2 weeks) and I would do one earlier in the lesson, and one a little later. The kids did great with it, and those stories are so short that it wasn't a big deal to do two.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:54 pm

What a good memory you have! You are right - I did love using LHTH with 2-5 year olds at our church! :D :D :D I still remember that time in life fondly. I bet you would enjoy it as well! :D Here are a few links to threads that may help...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11314&p=82158

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019&p=36785

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85&p=451

HTH, and let us know how it goes if you get a chance! :) Others would be thankful to learn from you and how you enjoyed LHTH with your Sunday School class too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie