Math question?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Charika30

Math question?

Post by Charika30 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm

How do u moms feel about children using their fingers to add and subtract? Is it frowned upon? I used to encourage mine not to. And would encourage them to use a number line or manipulatives. But it's gotten to the point where i am just tired and let them lol unsure emoticon. As long as they r getting the problems right and understanding it. I just dont like how it looks, especially for older kids. My son hides the fact that he counting on his fingers. But I see and know that he is lol...

StephanieU

Re: Math question?

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Up through secund grade I think it is fine. By the end of secund grade, they should be starting to memorize the facts because having them memorized really helps with multiplication, division, and harder adding and subtracting. Fingers ate just as good as manipulatives. They are the manipulative you always have with you.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed May 13, 2015 7:01 pm

I am 40 years old. I was a teacher and an administrator, and I USE MY FINGERS!! :)
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu May 14, 2015 6:38 am

I guess I would ask, how do you feel about it?

Me personally, I hate when I see my kids counting on their fingers for addition and subtraction. They know how to do it and faster without their fingers. But while they are doing skip counting for multiplication purposes, I get frustrated when they don't use their fingers LOL.

I really do think it is a personal choice. I want my kids to think! If they need their fingers to think and they are efficient and quick, let them use their fingers. If their fingers are slowing them down, then I wouldn't let them use them. Just my opinion.
Last edited by Nealewill on Thu May 14, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Thu May 14, 2015 7:14 am

I would let them. They're just like manipulatives. Each child is different, and my non-mathy child still uses her fingers every once in a while (though she has known problems with memory and is mildly dyslexic), while my extremely mathy child has no reason to. My youngest never learned to use them, but uses manipulative blocks so quickly, I wonder if she even uses them. :)
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu May 14, 2015 8:57 am

I like math... I do math well... I think math. I used my fingers for FOREVER. I still move my fingers like I'm using them, but it's not what's happening in my head. I cannot tell you when the switch was made from actually using them to just moving them, but I do know it was before middle school. I remember knowing the answers but still moving my fingers in 3rd grade. I don't remember if I was "checking" myself or not at that point.

So from my experience, they will use SOMETHING as long as they need it. Manipulatives, fingers, dots, imaginary spots, something will be used until they no longer need it.

cking0503

Post by cking0503 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:30 am

GREAT suggestions and advice. I feel much better. Thanks, ladies! :-D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2015 1:36 pm

I agree - totally fine to use what you have 'at hand' to solve math problems! :lol: This is normal, and most of the time, dc give it up on their own. It is better to use fingers, tapping, hands, etc. to quickly and accurately solve a math problem than it is to stare in the air and eventually just guess, feeling like you have no 'helps' or 'tools' to use to solve the problem. I will say I do encourage our kids not to always start with '1' when counting up using their hands. So, if it's 5 + 3, better to start with 5 and use 3 fingers to count the 6-7-8. Of course, it's pretty quick and a pretty smart visual to just look at your hands and see 5 fingers on one hand and hold up 3 on the other and 'see' 8 too. :D They give it up usually, and only use it for the toughies.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:24 pm

Yes, I do this too Julie. So glad I can let them continue doing what works without discouraging them or making them feel it's "wrong"...Thank you! :)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:48 am

I move my fingers a lot too, but don't actually use them! How funny that others are the exact same way. I have always let my kids if they needed them. I think it helps to cement that picture in their minds, and eventually they don't need it anymore.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG