Day 5 Ideas

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

Day 5 Ideas

Post by christyg » Mon May 11, 2015 6:01 am

Hi! For those of you in CTC up through the high school guides-what do you do on Day 5? I am looking for ideas. :)

Christy

deb

Re: Day 5 Ideas

Post by deb » Mon May 11, 2015 6:28 am

Outside classes: Co-op, PE class, sports team practice, group Bible study with other homeschooled kids, dance, etc. Actually, we spread the guide out over 5 days because all of our outside activities do not fall on the same day.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon May 11, 2015 6:33 am

I have done co-op every since my kids started school. For me, that is what I do with my day 5.

That being said, I wish I didn't do co-op! I would love to do absolutely nothing on day 5. You can save that day as a make up day, a field trip day or just a play day. Next year I am cutting co-op back to half a day so that I can get a half day of school done on that day. I plan to then be able to have another 1/2 day of school a 5th day to give us more flex in our schedules.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 am

22 Friday's during the school year we have a fabulous Christian co-op that we go to. It is 10 weeks in the fall, and 12 weeks in the winter / spring.

Right now I am doing lite Fridays of Bible & math only. Afterwards we are enjoying getting all of the errands done before the weekend, and if we have time a park.

I actually find that we are more focused Monday thru Thursday if Fridays are a fun day like co-op, or lite.

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Mon May 11, 2015 8:18 am

Bible study for mom, clean house, play :)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 am

The next day of school so that when we want to take breaks we can :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 11, 2015 10:26 am

We aren't there yet, but I am looking forward to it when we do get there! My husband works a 9-80 schedule, so should have every other Friday off. When he does have a Friday off, it is hard to get school work done for sure! Other Fridays we would use for field trips and other fun things.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

montanamom

Post by montanamom » Mon May 11, 2015 12:38 pm

We have used the day to catch up on anything we didn't get done & spend extra time on 1-2 subjects that my child is struggling with. If there is more time, I will sometimes have a particular learning or project based activity that I have come up with, or I allow my daughter to choose a project (usually life skills) that she'd like to learn or work on. She has done crocething, cooking, baking, sewing, extra reading, & art projects. Next year, I'll have 3 kids with friday free so I'm thinking of using the day to focus on Character traits with associated projects from Konos.
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Tue May 12, 2015 6:03 am

Cleaning, going to town, fun things with Friends....whatever needs to be done, sometimes it is school catch up. It really is great to have the extra day.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue May 12, 2015 5:45 pm

We do a very small co-op with my sister in-law and my sister. All together we currently have 10 kids ranging from PreK-8th grade. We pick a topic for each month at the beginning of the school year and each mom plans one day per month. We get together at our houses or sometimes a park/outdoor location. Some months we will do an outing or field trip on the extra Friday. We have been doing this for 3 years now and the kids love it. The other fun thing is that we all use HOD. We try to have the kids do a couple presentation/reports in front of each other each year. This year they each did a state and a pond animal presentation. :)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2015 2:53 pm

We sleep in a little later, have the cousins over for 2-3 hours to play together, do laundry, make bread and/or a fun dessert, play more outside, etc. :D If dh wants to take the boys fishing, etc., we move the day off to whatever day he wants. But usually, it is just a wonderful slower day at a home with the cousins over for board games, playing outside, sports outside, or movie/popcorn time. We've found it is healthy to just have some down time. It is also good for our kids to have some free time to manage on their own, and it is fun to see what they choose. Rather than spending money on outside the home activities, etc., we have spent money making our home the place to be. We usually buy one significant thing a year... a 3-wheeler, a swingset, an above ground pool, scooters, a basketball hoop, bases/baseballs/bats/mits, board games galore, movie DVDs, fire pit, erector kits, Thames and Kosmos kits, etc. By gradually saving money and buying these things, we have made our home a wonderful place to have free time. This is just one approach I know, but we have enjoyed it. :D I think our grandkids will enjoy it someday too, Lord willing.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

christyg

Post by christyg » Thu May 14, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks so much, everyone, for all of the great ideas! You have given me a lot to ponder over. I think my main problem is that I need to get over the idea that I have to school for 180 days. We are blessed to live in Texas where we don't have to complete a certain number. Just hard getting over that mindset. :wink:

Christy :)

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Thu May 14, 2015 5:08 pm

christyg wrote:Thanks so much, everyone, for all of the great ideas! You have given me a lot to ponder over. I think my main problem is that I need to get over the idea that I have to school for 180 days. We are blessed to live in Texas where we don't have to complete a certain number. Just hard getting over that mindset. :wink:

Christy :)
We have to school 180 days in our state, but by law field trips and other types of learning such as life experience can count towards the 180 days. So I do count our Friday co-op and field trips any day of the week towards the 180 days. We also though school 10 months a year since 5 full days doesn't work well for us. I know from neighbors that the children in public school aren't doing a true 180 days at this point. They have so many half days and field trip days that it is closer to 160.

HTH :)

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu May 14, 2015 6:06 pm

I just do the next day in the guide...keep plugging along.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri May 15, 2015 9:51 am

twoxcell wrote:We do a very small co-op with my sister in-law and my sister. All together we currently have 10 kids ranging from PreK-8th grade. We pick a topic for each month at the beginning of the school year and each mom plans one day per month. We get together at our houses or sometimes a park/outdoor location. Some months we will do an outing or field trip on the extra Friday. We have been doing this for 3 years now and the kids love it. The other fun thing is that we all use HOD. We try to have the kids do a couple presentation/reports in front of each other each year. This year they each did a state and a pond animal presentation. :)
Woooooooow- that sounds like a dream! You do realize how blessed you are to be able to do this...! How wonderful! We have a big homeschool group in my area and I am the ONLY one who uses HOD.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG