Placement for two kids

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
karenk

Placement for two kids

Post by karenk » Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 am

I have a 10 yr old and a 13 yr old. My 10 yr old is an advanced reader, history, and science guy but hates writing and not great at language arts and he doesn't have cursive down at all. We have just been easing in to it the last two years. He hates writing and would prefer to use a computer to type everything but is so smart in everything else. I am not sure where to place him.

I also have a 13 1/2 year old that is an advanced reader and writer but hates grammer and language arts. She would read and write all day and do not science or history so I am not knowing where to place her either.

I have read all the charts and just want to make sure everything is a challenge because they are so smart and get bored easily but I don't want to go over their level. I would appreciate any help you can give me!

We have never used Heart of Dakota and seriously thinking about getting it now! Thank you.

Jennymommy

Re: Placement for two kids

Post by Jennymommy » Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 am

This link may help. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16278

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Tue May 05, 2015 12:37 pm

I am at the same fork in the road with my almost 10 year old. He sounds like he is exactly where your son is! I found a blog called monarch room, and she had pictures posted of the writing required in bigger hearts and preparing! That was SO helpful, as I talked yesterday on the phone with Julie from HOD and we decided on Preparing for him, until I saw the actual passages that he is to copy. Yikes! My little guy would be overwhelmed. So I printed out the first week of the Bigger guide sample on the HOD site, and we just did the first day, as much as we could. Some of the books have the first chapter samples on amazon, and that's what I read from for the history. :D He LOVED today!! So we are going to do the whole week to see if it's enough for him, because he also places between guides. I can always add on the extensions to beef it up if needed. Printing the sample may be an option for you too! I printed Bigger and Preparing to read through them both. I may do a few days of Preparing with him too just to make sure. Unfortunately, there isn't a sample of the spelling or dictation lists that I could find other than the blog that I mentioned, so I kind of winged that. Hopefully my path is of some help, though I have no answers for you. The other ladies will chime in and give you excellent placement help, as they have with me! This is an amazing group of mamas!!! :D Praying for you....He will guide your steps.
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 am

Hi karenk! Here is a previous link that may help. I compared the writing in BHFHG and PHFHG...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3602

If a 10 yo can do PHFHG, we recommend it. The target age range for BHFHG is 7-9 yo. The target age range for PHFHG is 8-10 yo. It is a balance choosing what is best for a child, but if a 10 yo is able, PHFHG is better to use than BHFHG. It is more fitting to expectations for that age.

You can also look at the photobooks for each of the guides here, which shows ample pictures of students completing work from both, as well as comments from moms using the guides...
https://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/44
https://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/43

Finally, our message board has an HOD Weekly Check-In. Moms post pictures and write comments about their dc using the guides. Here are some past posts I've made about each of the guides you are considering.

BHFHG:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15879
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15924
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15925
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16003
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16026
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16071
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16100
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15959
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16138
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16165

PHFHG:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10658
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10521
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10556
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10592
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10703
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10748
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10803
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10838
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10803
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10853
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10923

Or course there are many more posts than just these! This message board is full of awesome resources! We also help personally on the phone when you call HOD. Based on what is shared, we make the best recommendations possible. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie