Placement for an 8 yr old struggling reader and an advanced

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
goodnessgrace

Placement for an 8 yr old struggling reader and an advanced

Post by goodnessgrace » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 am

Hi!

I just wanted to introduce myself and get some help with placement for my children. My name is Amanda and I have an 8 year old (who struggles with reading, but is strong in math and science) and a 5 1/2 year old who learns quickly and reads quite well for her age. We have decided to homeschool next year in order to meet the individual needs of our children and we are all very excited about it. I have researched curriculum at great lengths and *think* we've settled on using HOD next year. I am just feeling unsure about which guides to use for each child. Because of the 2 1/2 year age gap, it seems like we would need to put them in separate guides. I am thinking LHFHG or Beyond for the 5 yr old. She is strong in language and phonics and does well at cursive (taught in her PreK class this year). She enjoys school and it comes easy to her, which makes me think that Beyond would be a better choice, but I don't want her to miss out on anything foundational that might be important down the road. My 8 yr old dd has attended a private school since PreK that uses Abeka and Bob Jones. She is finishing 2nd grade this month and according to the placement chart, I would think that she would fit into BHFHG or Preparing. She *can* read independently, but doesn't like to and has trouble with comprehension. She has done some creative writing/journaling and has learned parts of speech, etc. She learned cursive starting in PreK and does a beautiful job with it now. Would it be better to place her back a guide (BHFHG) since she needs extra reading help or start Preparing maybe at a slower pace?? I would love some help with this!!! Since it is our first year homeschooling, I want this to be an overwhelmingly positive experience for our family. I know that it is ok to change things up as we go, but I would like to get started on the right foot(and not make costly mistakes;)). I know you all can relate:)

Thanks in advanced for your experienced insight!!

StephanieU

Re: Placement for an 8 yr old struggling reader and an advan

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 am

I would go with Bigger for a 3rd grader, especially since it will be your first year homeschooling. Most families use Bigger for 3rd, as 8 is the middle age for the guide. Also, if you do one guide a year, Bigger is perfect for 3rd. You will get to World Geography for 9th, which is the first "high school" guide.
For the 5yo, I would go with LHFHG. Age is important, and Beyond is meant for 6-8yo. My daughter (currently 7) almost placed into Beyond when she was 5.5 as well. THe only two things holding her back where writing (she could do it but has never enjoyed writing for school work - only for fun) and age. LHFHG was a great year! We continued with phonics, math, and handwriting at her pace. We started the emerging readers from Beyond/Bigger half way through LHFHG. We did copywork at the end of LHFHG instead of handwriting because she was ready for it. The history, devotion, and storytime were perfect for her at almost 6! We loved Beyond and now are starting Bigger.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 am

I agree with the pp. I would not put a 5 yr old in Beyond. Little Hearts, adding phonics/reading as needed, with math and handwriting at whatever level she is at would be perfect. There are many other skills built into each guide, so Little Hearts will be an important foundational year. I would also put your 8 yr old in Bigger given everything you have mentioned. Bigger is most often used for 3rd grade and I believe that will give you a great start with HOD. Welcome!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon May 04, 2015 11:41 am

Agreeing as well! Even if a young one CAN do the things in an early guide, it quickly builds. I put my oldest 2 in Beyond. We started mid year. He started Bigger 2 months before turning 7. It was mostly ok. I knew I was dragging him a bit in Preparing. I had to separate in CTC, it had gotten too much due to writing and reading volume.

I think doing LHFHG with the emergent readers would be good for your younger. I definitely think Bigger would be the way to go with your older. We're just finishing it with my 9yo for her 3rd grade year. It's been great!
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

goodnessgrace

Post by goodnessgrace » Mon May 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Thank you so much for your quick responses, ladies! You confirmed my thoughts regarding placement. It's so great to get feed back from moms who have gone before. We are very excited to get started on our homeschool journey!!!!