Trying to decide on curriculum

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shayla

Trying to decide on curriculum

Post by Shayla » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 pm

I am a full-time PhD student and I substitute part-time in the local school system. I am a licensed school counselor that has not been able to find a full-time position. I have decided that it is the right time to pull my children out of public school due to many of the policies that are being implemented in the school system that has had a negative impact on my children's learning/grades. My oldest went from consistently making A's and B's to making C's and two F's this past quarter after the distribution of iPads to all of the students to use to do almost ALL of their work. I am not opposed to technology as a tool but it has become a huge distraction within the classroom and we didn't have the choice to opt out of our children having them because they are required to use them for their course work and homework. Between the iPads, the five question tests that leave little room for human error and other issues, I feel they are setting our children up for failure in the local school system and even though I have thought about homeschooling in the past, my husband was not on board, but circumstances have changed his mind. I realize, too, that my oldest does fine when it is one on one instruction but in a group setting if he thinks he knows the material, he does not put the effort into the work.

When looking for curriculum, I have decided that I want to use HOD because I love the layout, the content and the focus on Biblical principals. I have three boys ages 6, 7, and 10. My 6 year old is reading first grade material, my 7 year old will be 8 in August but he is reading on a 4th grade level, maybe higher. My 10 year old reads on a 5th grade level but it could be higher if he put more effort into it. We will have limited funds to purchase the program since we did not put this in our yearly budget so although I would love to be able to purchase more than one level, I feel that we will need to combine them and teach with one level. I am wondering if anyone can give me any input into what they think about the level that I should use. I have looked at the placement and I am still not sure which level would be the best level to purchase. I was thinking about using Bigger but since I have not homeschooled in the past, I wanted the opinion of those who have done this. I look forward to any suggestions.

Jennymommy

Re: Trying to decide on curriculum

Post by Jennymommy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi Shayla, I'm sure this merits a call to HOD...there may be more options than you have thought of :) I think the different abilities would make it difficult to combine all three, but surely there is hope as I believe God has shown you a good path for your family.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:04 pm

I think this is a challenging situation as well. I would call HOD as well. But here are a few things to consider:
1. Would you be able to afford two guides next year? If so, you could possibly do Bigger with all three this year, then adjust next year. The 6yo would drop down to Beyond probably, and the other two could move on to Preparing. And if finances are even better, you would move the oldest up to which ever guide that son places in alone.
2. If you could "gain" about $200 somewhere, would using LHFHG and Bigger make sense for your kids? LHFHG would be for the 6yo and Bigger for the other two. LHFHG with EVERYTHING is about $200. You can skip a few things (science book, cd mainly), and you can normally get the storytime books free on Kindle OR at a library. So, it could even be a little less expensive.
3. Would the boys do well together? I tried to combine my younger two, and I learned it just isn't a great situation. They compete WAY too much to be combined. It is just a huge battle to get them both in good moods at the same time...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Shayla

Post by Shayla » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Thank you so much for replying Stephanie. Two guides would be feasible for us next year. Even though I had thought of homeschooling in the past, I didn't think it was going to be something that my husband would be onboard for and so we didn't plan for it in our budget. We could definitely make some adjustments over the year that would allow for two guides. One way for us to save would be to put the money that we normally use toward fundraisers and other such supplies that we would provide for the teachers would definitely help in that area. I think that I would be able to combine with them as long as I could keep the attention of the younger two. They are the ones that are generally more difficult in getting to stay on task. I think that it is difficult to determine for me because my boys generally read on a higher grade level than they are currently on and because my oldest and middle child are not much different in reading abilities but maturity levels are much different.

I am assuming that I will have to call HOD...

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 pm

We just started Bigger last week (going half speed for a while). And I will say it isn't as fun and in a sense engaging as LHFHG and Beyond. It is more academic for sure, but it is also a guide most families use for 3rd grade. So, it would be one that your 8yo would probably be okay with. It would take some time to get used to it, but the readings are still fairly short for history and science. Storytime is longer (we are reading Farmer Boy right now), but they are titles that kids are more willing to listen to. It could be a challenge for a 6yo though, and you would have to modify things probably (there is a lot of writing in Bigger compared to the earlier guides). For the 10yo, I would try to find as many of the extension titles as possible to beef things up for him.

Another option I would possibly consider if the younger two are similar in maturity would be to do Beyond with all three. Then add to it for the 10yo - another science for sure and possible something additional for history like a 50 state study. That would make it so you were modifying for the oldest and not the youngest. Then, next year, the younger two would continue on to Bigger and the oldest can jump to the guide he places in.
Mom to

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri May 01, 2015 7:48 am

Shayla wrote:Thank you so much for replying Stephanie. Two guides would be feasible for us next year. Even though I had thought of homeschooling in the past, I didn't think it was going to be something that my husband would be onboard for and so we didn't plan for it in our budget. We could definitely make some adjustments over the year that would allow for two guides. One way for us to save would be to put the money that we normally use toward fundraisers and other such supplies that we would provide for the teachers would definitely help in that area. I think that I would be able to combine with them as long as I could keep the attention of the younger two. They are the ones that are generally more difficult in getting to stay on task. I think that it is difficult to determine for me because my boys generally read on a higher grade level than they are currently on and because my oldest and middle child are not much different in reading abilities but maturity levels are much different.

I am assuming that I will have to call HOD...
Have you looked at the placement chart? I agree with the others that calling HOD could be helpful for you.

HOD placement is much more about writing abilities then reading abilities. It took me a long time to figure that out placing my oldest into HOD. Carrie puts a lot of skill building, especially in the area of writing, into her program. Maturity and work load and how much writing they can do in a day are very important elements in placement.

My oldest has read at a high school level since age 8. He is doing CTC for 5th grade, and it is perfect placement for him for writing, maturity, and skill building. I just wanted to give you some insights into HOD and placement.

I think a possible idea would be to combine your older two into one program for this year, and then add a second program next year for your 6 year old. I know my children could not have done the writing in Bigger at age 6. You could have the 6 year old do LA and math for this year, and then add a program for him next year. If you place your oldest two together on the placement chart according to their abilities, and put great emphasis on their writing abilities in placement, I think it could work to combine them. Then if you purchase a program for this year, for the two of them, it will give you a year to adjust to home schooling and HOD without the challenge of teaching two guides. Then you could do some LA and math with the 6 year old this year, which should be plenty at that age. Then next year place your 6 year old, when you can purchase a second program. Your restraints actually might be an enormous blessing for you this year; as adjusting to home schooling and teaching one guide could very well be plenty.

I hope this was helpful.

:D

Shayla

Post by Shayla » Fri May 01, 2015 8:16 am

LovingJesus, thank you so much for your reply. As I have been looking over the different guides over and over again as well as all of the placement charts and scopes, I think CTC would be where my oldest would really fit and my middle son would fit best in Bigger and my youngest would fit best in Beyond and I would love to be able to put them all in the curriculums that actually fit them. That would be over $1000 for me and my family can't do that right now. AAAAAHHHH, I don't know what to do! I have plenty of time to decide but I like to be prepared and I am excited about getting started and reading all of the information.

Again, thank you for your input!!! :D

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 01, 2015 9:56 am

I'd definitely call and seek their counsel! They will also work with you on payment plans.

These are my ideas, mainly focused on what you've said, plus the fact that you are new to HOD and homeschooling.

What if you did Preparing with your oldest, and started with just the 3Rs with your youngest two, while saving money to buy Beyond. You can check out the books for DITHOR from the library that fit the reading level (you actually want the books to be fairly easy for them to read because they are supposed to be concentrating on content rather than actually reading the words) and genre.

The complete Preparing year is $521 unless I missed something. Then your oldest could do it as written, or even read the history himself, to learn the skills needed for the next guide. The younger ones can listen in, especially to the story time (for history). You could print off math sheets or get their Singapore math books for their level (singapore has a placement test on their website to see what level they are in.) And spelling you could do from the internet as well.

HOD is a LOT easier to do and more complete when you don't have to change things for the kids, up or down. If they are placed properly, they soar through the guides while learning SO MUCH. If you do have to combine, it's always better to put the youngest one in the guide they should be in and beef it up for the older ones.

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 am

I understand purchasing 2-3 full guides can be a deterrent, especially when it wasn't part of your budget. You could purchase the guide and books for your older two and combine them into Bigger with the extensions for the oldest. I have an almost 10 yo son that I'm about to purchase Bigger for too. He is a strong reader, but needs more writing work before moving onto Preparing. I also have a 6 yo and plan on putting him into Little hearts, but my suggestion for your 6 yo is that you purchase Singapore math and the phonics that HOD recommends and then get the book Honey For A Childs Heart and pull books to read aloud from it. Then you can get a couple Usborne early science books and do some fun plant and air experiments for science once or twice a week and you're set! Reading aloud to your children great literature, doing a math program and them working through phonics or reading to you based on their level is a perfect start until you have funds to dive into 2-3 guides with HOD! Buying the guide for your oldest will help to get your family adjusted to homeschooling and keep you from getting mama burn out in 5 months! Just my thoughts.
Many blessings and praying for you as the Lord leads you!
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

Shayla

Post by Shayla » Fri May 01, 2015 11:36 am

Wow! such good advice and information! I really appreciate everything that has been said. I just want to make sure that I am challenging them enough but not too much! Such a stressful decision for me. :?

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri May 01, 2015 12:28 pm

What about combining your 10 and 8 year old into Preparing (10 y.o. will use Extensions) and placing your 6 year old in Beyond. I think Preparing is the PERFECT curriculum for a first year homeschooler. It's high-interest, it's gentle without lacking depth, and it's a grande overview of world history. There is just so much spiritual meat in the history selections that I would never have wanted either of my kids to miss their Preparing year! The next year, you could put your youngest two in Bigger and Oldest in CtC. The year after, your then 10 year old could jump to CtC and your then 9 year old could do Preparing. Just food for thought... :)
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri May 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Shayla wrote:LovingJesus, thank you so much for your reply. As I have been looking over the different guides over and over again as well as all of the placement charts and scopes, I think CTC would be where my oldest would really fit and my middle son would fit best in Bigger and my youngest would fit best in Beyond and I would love to be able to put them all in the curriculums that actually fit them. That would be over $1000 for me and my family can't do that right now. AAAAAHHHH, I don't know what to do! I have plenty of time to decide but I like to be prepared and I am excited about getting started and reading all of the information.

Again, thank you for your input!!! :D
HOD does payment plans. Also, for us, one way that I budget my curriculum is I use my "extra paycheck" for it. Basically, my husband gets paid every other week making it so that we get 26 paychecks per year. So we budget our monthly needs based on two checks a month. Gas and food are the only things I budget weekly. So every year he gets 2 paychecks a month for 10 months out of the year and 3 paychecks during 2 months. I can use most of those 2 extra paycheck for whatever I need. I use the one for curriculum and the one other for Christmas. That right there might be one way to get your $1,000. Also, I do recommend trying to place your kids as best you can. Finally, you could always stagger your purchase. To bare bones it - it if were me, these are things I would consider:

Beyond
*Economy Package (history) - you need all of them and it would be difficult stagger these $87.02
*Phonics - your child is reading so you probably can use the library with the emerging reader titles that are listed in the back $0
*Basic Package (science, Bible, math) - you need all of these up front except the 2nd math book but it is cheaper to do it as a package $71.89
*Deluxe Package (storytime) - use the library for each genre $0
Beyond Total $158.91

Bigger
Economy Package (history) - difficult to stagger, the Wright Brothers book is the only one read in full at one time $96.99
Science Package - this could be staggered $52.74
Handwriting - Cheerful Cursive (if you want to have this child learn cursive, love this book!!!!) $15.95
Basic Package (grammar, Bible, and math) - you can stagger these very well. $88.07 if you need level 3A/3B or $64.87 if you need 2A/2B. (You probably don't need answer keys for these levels but it is $7.50 for the key from 1A-3B)
Deluxe Package (storytime) - get books from the library $0
Bigger Total $253.75 (calculated with higher priced math level)

Creation to Christ
Economy Package (history) - some resources can be staggered $198.99
Economy Package (science) - can easily be staggered $92.26
English (grammar) - level 4 book both teachers manual and student text book $43.40
Write with the Best (writing) - 24.95
Math - $7.50 for an answer key (includes level 4A-6B) You need two textbooks and two student workbooks, each are $12.50, totaling $50 for the texts. Math total $57.50
Bible - you don't need to buy the family illustrated Bible necessarily. I have had my dd read her own Bible instead.
Philippians CD - you don't *need* it but it has been nice. $15
Basic Package (storytime) - the history storytime is wonderful. But with this being your first year, expenses are an issue, I would have this child do storytime with younger siblings and do storytime together for everyone using the storytime boxes in Beyond. $0
Creation to Christ Total - 417.10 (I did not include the Philippians CD in this, add $15 extra for that.)

To get all 3 of these levels, it would cost $829.76. This does not include the DITHOR portion of the program though.

To finish off the year, you would want to complete Drawn into the Heart of Reading with your two older kids. You could use the library for books for them if you wanted too. You would only cover 5 books for literature study with the 10 year old and the middle child is scheduled to cover all 9 genres in the year Bigger. To get the DITHOR teachers manual, the $5 book list and both student manuals, you are looking at $108.50 (the level 4/5 manual and book package, adding on the student book for level 2/3). You would also want to buy one of the Book Projects to send home books. These cost 9.95 each. Buying one level on would be fine. This is an absolutely wonderful program so I do not recommend skipping it. But if you needed to start your year first for a few months, save up for this portion and then start it later, I would do that. It is totally worth it! But at the same time, if you can only afford the other 3 parts and need to put this on hold for a short period of time, I would consider that option as well. For what it is worth, when I bump my kids up in level, we usually don't do DITHOR for the first 6 weeks. Then I make them all do 1 genre over the summer to cover that missed genre we didn't do at the beginning of the level. That way they have a bit of an easier start to their year and at the same time, it gives them something to do over the summer.

So your total cost with everything including DITHOR is $948.21. Again, I do think HOD does offer some type of payment plan. Realistically, with this being your first year homeschooling, no matter what, it is going to be a bit more costly. Many times homeschoolers are *saving* what they can pass down from child to child. Many of these resources can be passed down. That is one joy with HOD. Many other workbook programs may look cheap year to year but quickly become extremely costly because you need to replace the workbooks every year. It adds up really fast! Most of those programs can easily cost you $200-$400 PER STUDENT in workbooks alone. That does not include answer keys, teacher's manuals or student texts. It is crazy! Plus, even when you are sharing things between kids, spending $750 to $1,000 a year is not unusual. I am not saying this to discourage you or sound harsh. I am only stating this because this is how much I used to spend every year before finding HOD on the resources I bought for my kids for school. I also never realized how much homeschooling can cost until I started doing it. It just adds up fast no matter what curriculum go with. Finally, some places do offer cheaper products but I have found a lot of times, you get what you pay for. I have skimped on products at time because of the sticker price and I am usually disappointed. With the all of the products with HOD, I have never found myself disappointed.

I would just pray about it. If you feel that the Lord brought you here, he will help you find a way to afford it. Money can come from the most unlikely sources and God knows no limits. I will pray for your decision too and pray that Lord makes a way for you afford it.

So your total bare bones cost with DITHOR
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Danaelle did a great job giving you pricing info. I like her idea of doing one book for storytime. The child in Bigger could do the activities in the Bigger guide while the one in Beyond would do the Beyond activities. Your oldest could read a storytime book and do the activities in Bigger if DITHOR isn't an option. Storytime in Beyond and Bigger is basically a solicited version of DITHOR. So for your first year homecoming it might be a cheaper way of doing it. Your middle child could just read good books aloud and summarize/narrate as well instead of DITHOR.
Mom to

Shayla

Post by Shayla » Fri May 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks so much Danaelle and Stephanie! I did call and talk to Julie and after talking, I have decided that I will be purchasing Beyond for my youngest and my two older will be in Preparing. She was so helpful as everyone here has been.

I was only worried about upfront costs, not the costs in general because in the long run, it will probably just about equal out to what I was spending before on school supplies, gas, class parties, lunches, school fundraisers etc. I am really excited to get the curriculum and to get started. My boys are really excited about it too because they know they will get to spend more time with me but they also know that they will see their friends less often.

Again, thanks so much to everyone!

Shayla

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Fri May 01, 2015 8:05 pm

Yay Shayla :D Glad to hear this.