DD wants more diagramming practice, not retaining

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

DD wants more diagramming practice, not retaining

Post by Mumkins » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:48 am

My 9yo is doing R&S 3. She's done fairly well the whole year, but adverbs and adjectives have been throwing her for a loop. She's done good with diagramming, right up through direct object. Though she still struggles with questions. She's not really understanding adverbs vs adjectives really well and putting them in the slanted line is not happening correctly. We're on lesson 89. So, less than 3 weeks til unit 5, which doesn't appear to have any diagramming. I'm not sure if we should just finish up, doing them as they appear in the book and maybe come fall, she'll be a bit older/mature and ready to handle it. Or, should I find worksheets online or something to help her diagram? She said she'd like more practice.

Really wishing I had have held off on R&S 3 til next year, but, jumped in due to her age and we did 2 last year.
Last edited by Mumkins on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Jennymommy

Re: DD wants more diagramming practice, not retaining

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:54 am

Two thoughts...you could repeat 3 next year, or let her do 4 with the understanding that concepts are repeated each year in R&S. She will learn through the repetition :) My youngest is in level 5, and he "knows", but still questions himself, so the repetition is good.

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:56 am

Rod and Staff has worksheets that go with the books. You could do the book 3 one over the summer to review. I continually drill What Kind?, Which One?, How Many?, Whose? for adjectives and How?, When?, Where?, To What Extent? for adverbs (plus many end in ly). Book 4 will review these concepts as well.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 pm

My oldest did R&S 3 at age 9, and finished it before turning 10.

I found that the retention was good until the section that you are in. He did OK with the slanted lines and adjectives and adverbs, but wasn't grasping it like direct objects. What I found was he had great retention & understanding when they came back in R&S 4. I just worked through the lessons knowing he was getting a little less than normal, and it worked out fine for us in the end.

The grammar slows to 1/2 speed in CTC; for him that is book 5. I have found the slow down Carrie planned for CTC to be perfect timing, and a lot of extra retention solidfying with it not being everyday. Plus, book 5 reviews books 3 & 4 and also takes it further which has been great.

If full understanding doesn't happen this first time through I think it will with time in the later books.

HTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 03, 2015 4:02 pm

We found 4 and especially 5 to be the levels that diagramming more difficult sentences 'stuck.' I would work alongside her with this and model how it is done. Often times, there are not many examples before they are to diagram a new concept. I will diagram a sentence on their notebook paper for them, and then have them diagram the next one. We work on this together until they have a good handle on it. I did this with my oldest until he told me he could just do the whole section on his own. :wink: He is now in high school finishing out Level 7 and can diagram ANYTHING. :D R & S English has enough built-in review and is rigorous enough on its own - no need to elongate it. :wink: HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie