Placement for sons

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twolittlebears

Placement for sons

Post by twolittlebears » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi! I would love some advice on where to place my sons. Here's a little background: BJ is almost 7 & 1st grade, and is in Singapore math 1B. He is in Rod and Staff phonics grade 1. We are also using Explode the Code. He can form his manuscript letters, read 3-4 letter words and write words by dictated spelling and copying words. BW is 9.5yo in 3rd grade and did Beyond in 2nd grade. He is in Singapore math 2B. Rod and Staff phonics and reader grade 2. We used explode the code until he took off reading 2 years ago. I then went back to R&S this january to make sure we've covered all phonics. He can read DITHOR level 2/3 books well, as I tested him the other day with a couple titles that we have. He is working through Cheerful Cursive, but doesn't love writing for too long. He can copy sentences and I can dictate through spelling to him. He could copy cursive, though we aren't there yet. Do I put the boys together in Bigger and do extensions for the older? Or put BJ in Little Hearts or Beyond alone? Or put BW in Bigger or Preparing? The younger one wants to be alone, yet the older one wants them to be in the same guide. I just want what is best for them both. I do feel like my younger has sat in more and tagged along the last 2 years. Now I have them do their own LA and math, but we combine Bible, history and a read aloud. I love CM, and have toyed with AO, but I feel like I need more guidance and I love HOD's heart. All the books I find on my own and want to use are ones that Carrie has already specified for the guides. Another question is, for those that want a true CM homeschool, does HOD fit this or would I need to tweak it?
Thank you so much for your help!!
Ashleigh
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

Jennymommy

Re: Placement for sons

Post by Jennymommy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi Ashleigh :D I think that in the long run, you will be happiest having the boys in separate guides. This would become evident in upper guides where BJ may struggle to keep up with BW or have to skip activities as the time commitment grows. I would look at LHFHG and choose the science, math and language arts that seem best for BJ. Then probably Bigger for BW, adding DITHOR level 2/3. It is important that dc be able to do all the activities so as to build up to the skills needed for successful highschool and college as they work through the guides, so proper placement is key. I can testify to the fact that it is not much fun to drag a kid along through a guide that is too mature for them. :?

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Thank you Jennymommy! I've been looking at where my boys would place for next year, and BLHFHG and Preparing would be perfect for both of them. So LHFHG and BHFHG seem to be the perfect fit for them both right now. I also found Carrie's post about using AO in her first years, and that was such a help to read as that was the other curriculum that I've been toying with! I love AO, but some of the books are too mature for my sons. We tried Trial and Triumph and couldn't get through the first one! It was too graphic for them. I'm wondering if I need to add the extensions for my oldest in BHFHG or if that's more a wait and see type of deal. Looking at the samples, it seems perfect for him as is, but he seems to have these little jumps half way through programs and maybe if he does, that's when I add some of those books??
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi twolittlebears! :D You and Jennymommy already came up with a super plan that I will second! Great choice to do LHFHG and BHFHG! The extensions are meant for the student to read independently. Usually in BHFHG, the extensions are used for 10 and 11 yo dc. As BHFHG is a meaty guide and your ds is new to HOD, I'd start without the extensions this year. This will also give him time to fully devote himself to DITHOR 2/3's reading/writing. You will enjoy BHFHG! Such an important guide with such milestones being met that year! Also, your little one will love LHFHG. I'm glad he will get you all to himself in LHFHG. He will soar.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Julie and HOD mamas!
I am still needing some help please. :shock: I feel like Bigger is perfect placement for BW, but now I'm questioning my choice about BJ, my 6 yo. I've read over the samples online, and though the left side is a great fit and he could fit well into the LHFHG guide, he places academically in the Beyond guide. He is already in Rod and Staff grade 1 LA and Singapore Math 1B. He can spell some 3 letter words pretty well. He is still learning to read, and not in the emerging reader set yet, that's for certain! I'm just concerned that Little Hearts may end up being too easy for him? We've already read all Beatrix Potter and most of the Burgess books, though I have a slew more of them I could read. Where would that guide have him with the 3 R's at the end of it? Would it be better to put him in Beyond instead and go slowly if necessary? He is almost 7 and is very motivated...he loves school. I just don't want to push him beyond what he is capable. It's hard for me since I don't have the guides in front of me, to get an overview of where we are going with both programs, you know? If I put him in BLHFHG, then looking forward, he would be 8 going into Bigger and 9 for Preparing. Are those ages ok for those guides? Or do I put him in Little Hearts and add in things if I need to?? I'm not in a rush to move him ahead in the guides, I just want to pick the right one for easy days! Thank you for help!! :D

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:35 pm

One thing you could do is right side Beyond & left side LHFHG. I realize it means two guides, but sometimes moms go that route.

You may want to look at the Eggelston spines in Bigger and see if you think they will work a year down the road. They are a much more difficult read than the books in Beyond or LHFHG.

HTH

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Perhaps you could order the guide for Beyond to examine first, then when you do order that package, ask for a discount since you already own the guide...assuming you will be using it this year or next :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:50 pm

I would buy Beyond and then see if it will work. With an almost 7yo that has listened to the Burgess books, I think it will be fine. Your son will still be at the middle age range, and if you had to slow down, you could easily. And if Beyond doesn't work, you can always step down to LHFHG as well.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:13 pm

That is great advice! Thank you! I have one more question...the spelling lists in Beyond, are those simple 3 letter words? Also, is the copywork fairly short? Like a few words? That may be the deciding factor for which guide I should go with. Everything else in Beyond looks like great fit, just wondering about the spelling and copyworb portions. Thank you for all of the time and help!! :D

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:55 pm

There are two spelling lists side by side. Both are a great phonics review as they focus on one phonics blend or rule for each weeks list. List one focuses mostly on 3 letter words, with some two letter words. List 2 focuses on 4 letter words with some 5 letter words.

My dd8 is doing LA from Bigger with Beyond, but I just looked up the Beyond LA box. Here it is:
- copy a part of the poem four days per week. So you would determine the length copied from the poem each day.
- copy the 10 spelling words day 1, write them day 2, copy 3 sentences using 3 of the spelling words on day 3, write all spelling words from memory day 4.
- grammar day 5 includes a little copying.

Writing is a big part of HOD. Placement is key. If it helps any to hear the reasons for my kids placements that are the following: my oldest is in CTC for writing reasons (his reading is HIgh school level with high comprehension), my second is on a break from Preparing for writing reasons and I am working a lot on his writing as a focus this spring, my third is higher then Beyond in reading and about Bigger level for writing. She though is in 2nd grade and sensitive to history and even for some of the stories in Beyond, that are fairly innocent, has asked me to stop reading. So keeping her at grade level for history I think is important for her. I beefed up her LA in Beyond to Bigger level and it has worked well. I think it is helpful to figure out what works best for each of your children, and the reasons can be different for each.

I hope that helps.

Beyond is a Delightful program! :D. My dd really loves it! :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for sharing more about your ds! :D It sounds like you are making good progress in your decision here. :) One thing to consider is whether ds could make the growth needed in writing to be able to do BHFHG in a year. The writing in BHFHG is substantial, and dc do need to be able to write passages as opposed to sentences, as well as begin cursive. The amount of writing increases as well. I know it may be difficult to tell if ds will grow this much in a year, but I thought it may help you your pondering of placement. Here is a breakdown of the writing in Beyond and the writing in BHFHG...

Writing in Beyond...
Beyond includes copywork daily from the poetry (usually 2-4 lines/sentences), has a gentle once a week introduction to grammar, and includes writing daily for very short spelling lessons (with once a week writing of 3 sentences for extra practice for spelling words that are harder for the student).

Writing in Bigger Hearts...
Bible - Once per week copy the memory verse
History - Timeline entries once per week (name, dates, and small picture)
Once per week notebooking page that may be a map drawing, list of facts about a person or event, pictures to go with it...
1-3 Vocabulary cards per week (definition, sentence using word, and illustration on the back)
Science - Once per week notebooking page including Bible verse and a labeled drawing
Once per week experiment page (Parent writes question on it, child records a guess, draws the procedure, and writes a conclusion)
Dictation - Study and write short passage 3 times a week (2 sentences)
DITHOR - 2 (?) student pages per week (The teacher guide actually reccommends writing these for your child if writing is an issue starting out.)
Cheerful Cursive - if you're opting to do that (The lessons are very short! I have my child write the words once, even though it says twice on some of the pages, as long as it's GOOD writing.)
R&S2 - Usually about 5 sentences a day (on a white board)
Poetry - OPTIONAL to copy from the poem of the week. We started out without it, and have added in copying 2 lines 4 days a week.

These are spread throughout the week in the plans so that there's not too much on any one day. Cursive and R&S are daily, but the "big" ones are split up.
Day 2 - Science notebooking
Day 3 - vocabulary and science experiment page
Day 4 - Bible verse
Day 5 - History timeline entry and notebooking

I am thinking that if ds cannot copy several sentences and begin spelling this year, that LHFHG may be better for sure. If he can copy several sentences, is ready for simple spelling words (3 letters, following a pattern), and could begin 1 x a week grammar lessons, then Beyond would be fine, as he will probably grow into LA skills enough to be able to do Bigger Hearts in year. When choosing placement for multiple dc, I think it is best to choose the guide dc can really do for sure. This helps us busy moms of multiple dc be able to teach multiple guides easily, because each child can do what is asked of him well without tweaking and extra assistance from us. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 pm

You could always start with Beyond half speed. That way it wouldn't be too much, but it would be age appropriate. It would let him grow in his skills, but not get him to Bigger faster than he is capable. Also, since you'll have Bigger for your older son, you could use that for the hands on math stuff (2A/B is scheduled in Bigger). You could still work on phonics this year and then let him do the ERs in Bigger, or start whenever he is ready for them because the schedule/questions is in both Beyond and Bigger.

And then when you do start Bigger with him you could do it half speed for a while as well, further separating your kids in their guides.

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:55 pm

That is SO helpful!! Thank you ladies!!! I do not think that he would be ready for bigger at all next year. My 9 yo going on 10 is just now ready for bigger, though the writing is still going to be a struggle. Those little boys' hands just don't develop as quickly as the girls. I've held him off and gone very slowly up to this point! We are just now able to copy a Bible verse without complaining. My 6yo says his hand hurts after R&S phonics, so Little Hearts looks like the way to go!