Is there a list in the manual of what supplies I will need?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Little Women

Is there a list in the manual of what supplies I will need?

Post by Little Women » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:33 pm

I think I saw in a post here somewhere that there is not. In the sample for Res2Ref, one of the projects needs air-drying clay. I'm thinking that sort of thing would be good to get at the beginning. When I get the manual, will there be that kind of info in it?
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

MelInKansas

Re: Is there a list in the manual of what supplies I will ne

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Usually they just make the clay, at least for all the projects in CTC. It requires flour, salt, and water (though it uses a lot of salt so I usually end up buying another package shortly after).

There is not a comprehensive list of supplies. If you have homeschooled before you will have practically all of the stuff on hand, or there are options (unless you are gluten free or have a special diet, in which case you may need to modify some of the cooking projects). If you have not homeschooled before there are other posts that list out a lot of the basic materials you would want to have around.

You could collect/get supplies week by week, but really, I have never had a problem with not having something I need and I'm not the most well-stocked person I know.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Re: Is there a list in the manual of what supplies I will ne

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:50 pm

I agree with Melissa - I never intentionally stock my house at all. I keep very basic supplies here such as glue, glue sticks, paper, colored pencils, markers, crayons, and note cards (buy lots of note cards with HOD, I buy a 500 pack at the beginning of the year). Other than that, I do like having thick paper for my younger kids for art projects. And I like having card stock on hand. Most people already have different paints on hand and brushes. For science though, I rarely ever have to buy anything. I usually have everything I need already. Carrie is great. She schedules the projects to be completed with basic house hold items. The one thing I did need to buy when I came to HOD was the cheap bottled food coloring. I make cakes and have lots of food coloring paste. But the droppers are so much easier to use for school especially since my kids are the ones completing their projects. Other than that, I don't buy anything in advance. And one other really nice thing - some weeks Carrie will schedule 2 different options for an experiment. This way, if you don't like one of the options you can just do the other. That is really nice. So supply wise, I think you will probably have most stuff you need on hand.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM