Could someone tell me which books in Res2Ref are secular?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Little Women

Could someone tell me which books in Res2Ref are secular?

Post by Little Women » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 pm

I can get my umbrella school to pay for any books that are secular, even if purchased from a Christian company. I only need about 1/2 of the books, so I won't be getting a whole package anyways. But since I haven't read the books, I don't know which ones I could submit to them. I'm trying to plan out what I need to buy, so it would really help me if I had this info. Thanks!
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

Nealewill

Re: Could someone tell me which books in Res2Ref are secular

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:25 am

My daughter hasn't completed this level yet but is set to do so next year. I have looked at some of the books but these are things that I think are not Christian:

History - World Atlas and Map Trek V2 (the rest of the history books are very Christian)
Science - Isaac Newton and Along Came Galileo (the rest of the science books are very Christian)
Writing program
Math program
Story time - The Illustrated Book of Knights, Leonardo da Vinci, Good Queen Bess. I am not sure about The Story of Sir Walter Raleigh or the Legend of Squanto. The rest I do think are highly religious.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Little Women

Post by Little Women » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:03 pm

I was also wondering aboutthese :
The Story of the Middle Ages
Draw and Write Through History
Bard of Avon
Ink on His Fingers
From Bondage to Freedom
The Boy Knight
In the Days of Queen Elizabeth
Voyage to Freedom
The World of William Penn

The Isaac Newton is a Sower's series, so I'm thinking that one might be more Christian than would appear at first glance.
The Squanto one is an audio drama from Focus on the Family, so I'm sure they won't cover that.

These ones I am pretty sure are secular, too:
Robin Hood, IEW, Black Horses for the King, The King's Fifth
Mom to

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:08 am

Little Women wrote:I was also wondering aboutthese :
The Story of the Middle Ages - There is a lot of history of the church in here. But if you treat it as history more so, then you may be able to include it
Draw and Write Through History- Two of the four writing copywork do mention the Bible or Christians. It isn't a world view, just a mention
Bard of Avon - I just looked through this and did not see any religious themes
Ink on His Fingers- This book is about someone taking the Bible and putting into print
From Bondage to Freedom
The Boy Knight
In the Days of Queen Elizabeth
Voyage to Freedom
The World of William Penn

The Isaac Newton is a Sower's series, so I'm thinking that one might be more Christian than would appear at first glance.
The Squanto one is an audio drama from Focus on the Family, so I'm sure they won't cover that.

These ones I am pretty sure are secular, too:
Robin Hood, IEW, Black Horses for the King, The King's Fifth
The other books I do not have so I can't look at them. Also - the Shakespeare book that they read all year long, Tales from Shakespeare, that could probably classify as secular as well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:24 pm

The entire Draw and Write Through History series is Christian.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi! I just wanted to mention that by reading each book's descriptions, you can usually get a good idea about which books are Christian and which are not. Just click on the 'packages' link, and you can see the book descriptions. With HOD, many books are Christian, which is something we appreciate. :D :D :D Umbrella schools put various constraints on what is considered too Christian. Some accept more than others, so I think it may depend on your particular umbrella school which titles are acceptable. We just finished RTR, and we had a fantastic year! I think you will find the Christian titles worth every penny. This was a pivotal year for our ds, as he just turned 12 yo. We just finished RTR's boy study utilizing "Boyhood and Beyond," "Boy to Man," and "What Is God's Design for My Body?" - all Christian resources that will (hopefully) have an impact on how he lives the rest of his life. I totally get trying to take advantage of financial help with homeschooling! But the books you will end up having to buy yourself due to their being Christian - those will be the best books of their lives. Well worth it! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Little Women

Post by Little Women » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Yes, I'm not considering skipping them. I just need to know how much to plan for. :)
Mom to