Oh, the choosing!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jjn3beans

Oh, the choosing!

Post by jjn3beans » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:28 pm

I am agonizing over whether or not to use HOD. I have thoroughly read through all material available for both Revival to Revolution and Missions to Modern Marvels (for a 7th and 8th grader). I've read countless reviews. I've read people that left HOD and people who swoon. :D Here are my observations and/or first impressions and/or reservations on how it would work for our family. If any insight can be found out that, I would be extremely grateful! Maybe I just need a sounding board to listen to my likes and reservations besides DH, who gives me a blank stare. I told him this evening that I would just stick with what we're doing, even though I feel like we read, read, read, discuss, discuss, discuss. I just want some more. I always have, and I have successfully added notebooking to our current curricula with success, but I am beginning to come to a dead end as the girls age. I want more.

Why I think it would work for us: I really like the way everything is planned out, down to when to do timeline figures and what to write with them. I like that the kids are more engaged with the timeline work by drawing and writing info in themselves. I love the notebooking and copywork. The girls already do copywork and dictation and oral (sometimes written) narration, so are very familiar with that. I have to implement it, though, even make my own notebook pages. To be honest, I'm burned out on that and have lost some initiative to do notebooking now. I love that HOD schedules in interesting studies like inventor studies or composer studies or music studies, even with notebooking (swoon)! The Bible studies look good. We've been reading from the Bible daily, and if the mood strikes me, we discuss things. I would like the choice to discuss things deeper if I want, and it seems HOD provides this little push in Bible study. I like the "storytime" section. The mapping looks wonderful, which is where we are lacking in our current studies.

Why I'm hesitant: These are just my thoughts, and I have no idea if HOD fits into some of these boxes. Any correction would be helpful! :) I don't want someone to tell my children what they need to know. I want them stretched into areas they haven't been, to think of something in a different way, even if it bucks what people say around them. Of course, I would want this to be in as respectful a way as possible. I don't want them to be spoon fed information. I want them to think for themselves, not believe everything they read, and to question things. I believe it will lead them to God in a real way that will "stick." I want them to have a lot of meat to chew and ponder over. One of the bigger reasons we chose to homeschool (the biggest being I felt really called to) is I wanted to to think for themselves, not to follow someone for no reason. I think of the Bereans who questioned the things Paul said to see if they matched up with Scripture.

Another thing is, many of the book choices are foreign to me, and I just don't know what slant they may have. Does HOD cover both sides of things? While I don't want things just plunked into my child's lap before they're ready, I don't want to shield them and let them have a rude awakening if they choose to go to college or any other time they come against someone who challenges they beliefs. Does HOD help with things like this? I am going to see if I can find some of the books at the library to get a better feel for them.

So, do you think HOD might be for us in our later schooling years? Any and all insights and comments are appreciated!

Julie
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)

Jennymommy

Re: Oh, the choosing!

Post by Jennymommy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Julie, I think you would be very happy with HOD. I too want my dc to have a real relationship with God and to be able to understand why they believe this way rather than another way. The books used for history often present slightly different points of view, and this is a good thing in my opinion. My dc are becoming adept at noticing political/religious/personal opinion versus fact and frequently bring up topics for discussion. I love to hear their own opinions and discuss with them how they see God at work. The narrations, notebooking, and writing assignments, along with critical thinking and logic courses are all geared toward engaging your students in their learning in such a way that they take hold of truth and gain strength to be all that God has made them to be.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 pm

You mentioned you are considering Rev2Rev and MtMM. In those guides (and later), I think Carrie doesn't just offer one side of things. Yes, the material will be presented in a young earth, Christian perspective, but other ideas are discussed. MtMM has the study of evolution vs creation. Other religions are presented when applicable (especially in the WG guide with a study on them specifically).
HOD also doesn't just have a "memorize the facts" approach. Rarely are they told to just learn a short list of things. Narrations and the notebooking are open-ended.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 pm

One of my favorite things about HOD is that it is not a reading and comprehension curriculum! I love that you read something and find the meaning in it for yourself. While I have only completed HOD for 2 years now and haven't yet repeated a guide, I do love that it is all about the discussions and pulling out how things spoke to you. In that sense, I do think you would be very happy with it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:05 am

I echo what the others said. You definitely won't find information spoon fed and the child told what to think. The questions asked, either in the materials or in the guide, help the child think and analyse for themselves. Now, Carrie has a way of including scripture which will definitely encourage a Christian world view. But this is along with reading something that might say something else, then she brings in scriptures that also speak to that topic and asks a question to make the child think about what both are saying. Discussion is great, as well as what you will see in their notebooking and projects. All of those things really help the child understand more what they are reading and retain it. My oldest is in CTC, I can only assume that the critical thinking and analysis skills she is practicing now keep on going.

The early guides definitely push strongly from one perspective or slant on things. But as they get older it moves more to allowing them to understand different world views and viewpoints and seeing which seems to make the most sense. As someone else mentioned, the creation vs evolution study.

The book choices are unusual I agree, and not things you can buy in trade paperbacks (which makes them harder to come by in my experience). But they are WONDERFUL. You will be very pleased. I think HOD has done a great job of not just finding a book that's good enough or "kind of fits" but instead books that really uphold good morality and demonstrate good points. Or tie in with the history really well.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:22 am

Melissa, I think I got the impression of one sided because many of the reviews I read were for the younger guides. I've looked specifically for the older guide reviews, and there weren't very many of them.

I don't mind a Christian worldview. That's actually what I want. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful answers! Anyone else? :)
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 am

Welcome to the HOD Board! We're glad to have you here. :D The ladies are doing a great job of answering your questions and of helping you talk through things. As you seem to be a researcher at heart, as I am as well, I thought that you may enjoy the "Weekly Check-in" linked below. My sister and many other gracious ladies have shared about their weeks with HOD in the "Weekly Check-in," and you can glimpse what HOD looks like within their homes. If you search for "my3sons" back posts, she shares extensively about using Revival to Revoution and Missions to Moderns Marvels with her oldest son Wyatt. Currently, her son is completing the World History Guide, so you will have to go back to 2011-2012 for Rev2Rev and 2012-2013 for MTMM. :D Happy reading! :D

Link: viewforum.php?f=14

Blessings,
Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:24 am

HOD does not spoon feed info. They start out learning how to think and analyze on their own even in the LHFHG guide! That is one of the things I love about HOD. It teaches the kids how to learn and think. Not WHAT to learn and think.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Julie,

I don't know why I remember your name & jjn3beans from Core A years ago, but I do! Your description of your current curriculum certainly sounds like SL, and we did Core A at the same time on their forum years ago. At least it is so if I am remembering correctly!

I never went beyond Core A, but I did use it twice.

HOD is very different from SL. The materials, and TM, frequently point back to Scripture. The Christian focus is truly present, which is something I wanted.
Last edited by LovingJesus on Wed May 27, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:18 pm

I keep reading and re-reading the posts. Very helpful information. This allays my fears or impressions I got from reading reviews. I am enjoying reading through the day-to-day assignments, and it does give an extra layer of what it's like to do an HOD guide. Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I welcome more thoughts!

I am the same on the SL forums. :)
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

Little Women

Post by Little Women » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi, Julie. Thanks for asking these questions. They are along the lines of some that I am working through, as well.
Melinda S.
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:06 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :) Several more questions. When Scripture is laced throughout the guides, is it more forced or does it truly fit the situation?

Also, more practical questions. When you order for a child in the extension range, do you order Economy, Basic, AND Extension or just Economy and Extension? What if I wanted to keep 2 girls together, 1 who seems to fall into the basic range (but more advanced) and 1 who falls into the extension range (but is dyslexic)? Also, do you order extra literature for DITHOR on top of the Economy, Basic/Extension?
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Yes, I have found the scriptures in history and science to fit the situations very well.

As for the other questions I haven't yet used the levels you are looking at. I would encourage you to start a new thread for them so they don't get lost in this one. There are so many helpful ladies on here that will be able to give you the help that you are wanting.
Last edited by LovingJesus on Wed May 27, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks Carin, I will do so. :)
Julie
DD11 (Preparing)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Here's to answer your questions about ordering.

If you plan/need to use extensions then you would buy the economy package, science package, history read-alouds (basic package), AND extension package. Then you would keep going down and decide on literature, English, math, etc. Now, if your child who is in the age range for extensions has learning challenges (you say dyslexic) you may not want to add the extensions. If you think the child would really benefit from added learning at that level then great, do it! But if you think the child fits squarely in the guide and would have enough challenge and work just finishing the work in the guide each day, then maybe you don't want to add extensions to the work load.

You would buy a DITHOR teacher's manual, student books for each of your children, and the books they will read. The packages on HOD's site fit really well into the time frame and reading levels and would provide all the genres for you. Yes, these books are separate from the books they read for the guide.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven