CTC Watercolor

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Motherjoy

CTC Watercolor

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:28 am

Where did you display or store your paintings when they were done? We will end up with four+ paintings each week.

Also, did you do the paintings as written, over two days, or all at once? I'll have three boys in CTC next year, one girl tagging along, and three little guys who will want to paint with us. So, setting up and clean up will take awhile. I'm thinking of just doing the whole painting on one day.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

FiveLittlePeaches

Re: CTC Watercolor

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 am

Painting with watercolor is a long process simply due to the fact it takes time for it to dry thoroughly. If you tape their paintings down onto a foam board or something equivalent, then it won't be a hassle to bring it out the next day and finish. The background should be done first and the details applied on top. It should be a two step process, but if you need to get it done in one day, so be it.

I don't know if you're familiar with watercolor painting, and I don't want to sound condescending. Please don't take it that way!!

p.s. edited to say I three-hole punched their work, and put it in their binders along with their other papers.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:46 am

It really does need to be spread over two days to really work best. I got cake boards and taped the papers down to them to work on, then once they were dry we hung them on a string in the hall. About once a month I would three hole punch them and put them in the binder.

Since you'll be doing several (and I'd honestly make the younger ones wait until they are in CTC to do them no matter what they want to do, but I'm mean like that. They can paint, but not do the actual CTC painting) each week you could display them for a week and once the new ones are done you could put the old ones away.

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for the input. That's what I was afraid of. I want to do the painting portion, but the logistics of setting up and cleaning up painting supplies for everyone will drag it out to 30-60 minutes. So, I'll have to think about how to schedule that. I don't expect my little guys to do the CTC paintings, just to practice good painting setup/clean up and form. My daughter won't do CTC in her own (I combine as much as possible), so she's along for the ride, and will do the paintings as instructed in the guide.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:35 pm

I live in a drier climate, and I do the painting in one day....half before lunch, half later. I use plastic place mats for painting projects, then I can move them around as necessary. Taping the paper down keeps the painting from curling as it dries...painters tape is good for this.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Yes, I was going to say if you let them dry, do it earlier in the day and then finish up later. But that probably causes just as many problems logistically for you with that many doing it at once. You'd still need a place for it and need to get out and clean up the supplies twice (probably). Usually the second part uses different colors than the first part which means you'd have to mix more paint anyway.

Hobby Lobby sells these Profolio portfolio notebook type things for about $15 and I bought one for each of my children for their artwork throughout the year. I was struggling with where to put them, they're just a little too big for the notebooks plus they tend to get ripped and ruined just punching them and putting them in the notebook. I got 11X17 sized paper for the watercolor projects and they sell a portfolio that size so she's been able to keep her paintings in that.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm

My then 11 year old completely set up, painted and cleaned up herself. Occasionally, I set paint up for others. But, mostly, I just told the it was her thing and they'd get to do it when it was their turn.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:34 am

I know they are probably capable of doing it independently, but having 4 who will want to do it (and only one guide) means I'll definitely need to be close by to supervise. I guess we could spend a few weeks training on proper set up and clean up, and then I could let them go it in the afternoon, during quiet time.

I'm still thinking. Lol. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool