Typo on the cover of the World Religion Notebook?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
IowaMom

Typo on the cover of the World Religion Notebook?

Post by IowaMom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:54 pm

I just received my boxes, yay!

As I was unpacking, I noticed the title of the world religions notebook was "World Religions & Culture's Notebook". Shouldn't it be "World Religions & Cultures Notebook"? (no apostrophe in cultures)

Thanks!

annaz

Re: Typo on the cover of the World Religion Notebook?

Post by annaz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Actually I think it's correct, because it's the religion (no "s") and culture that owns the notebook. I think it would be different if the "religion" was plural since that would name the study and be more of a title. Seems like it could go either way though depending on its intent. But tuthfully, it's their notebook. It actually says, "World Religion."
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

IowaMom

Post by IowaMom » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:59 am

Okay, I see what you're saying. It still seems poorly worded to me though because we will definitely be studying more than ONE religion and culture. I've never heard of another "World Religion and Culture" class. The typical title would be "World Religions and Cultures". :?:

Still looking forward to our year!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:30 pm

I think if you thought of it more like religion and culture FROM the whole world as opposed to OF the world it might help. A typical course wouldn't have the world part in it. It would just be Religion and Culture (actually more likely Culture and Religion, but whatever ;) )

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 am

Iowa Mom,

My editor and I actually spent quite a bit of time discussing the correct title for this particular study and for the notebook. We finally defaulted to the title used within the high school secondary education catalog of course listings, as it is a title that is difficult to word properly. We went back and forth on the notebook title several different times as there are differing ways to interpret and look at the title making one "right" way less clear.

We have actually never had anyone mention this to us before, as the reaction to the notebook is usually positive in regards to its layout, design, and content. I am sorry that you perceive the title to be poorly worded. We pray you will enjoy the study as you utilize it this year.

Blessings,
Carrie

IowaMom

Post by IowaMom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 am

Carrie,

Thank you so much for responding! Knowing it was a conscious decision to title the notebook this way does help. I'm sorry my first interaction on these boards was to post a question like this. I'm sure I'll be back to ask other questions about how to use the program later. Coming from SL, I'm sure there will be a learning curve as we begin in July/August!

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Iowa Mom & Carrie,
I just wanted to mention that when we opened up the Notebooking pages a few months ago to begin WG, my daughter asked the same questions: "is this the proper use of an apostrophe?" "is it supposed to be used possessively?" I was so impressed with her keen eye and the mere fact that she would take the time to ask the question that I was incredibly encouraged! You see, she has used R&S grammar as scheduled all of these years but never seemed to embrace it :wink: . I loved that she was automatically editing in her head. When our grammar guru (my husband) got home, we asked his opinion. He said it could be written the way it was OR 'World Religions and Cultures Notebook'. Either way was fine. Oddly enough, it lead us to have a great discussion around the dinner table that night; but most valuable to me was that my dd had stopped to ask the question! I want her to be this inquisitive in every subject she encounters...as a high schooler and young adult! :) So, in a round about way, thanks HOD for giving her the grammar foundation to ask the questions!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)