Breaking for Summer

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mskogen

Re: Breaking for Summer

Post by mskogen » Sun May 03, 2015 8:24 am

We school year round. We start the new manual tomorrow. We will take some time during the summer to play and enjoy but need to keep moving. We will take time off through out the year as needed for our life
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Sun May 03, 2015 9:06 pm

mskogen wrote:We school year round. We start the new manual tomorrow. We will take some time during the summer to play and enjoy but need to keep moving. We will take time off through out the year as needed for our life
I thought as the girls aged they would want more summer time off. In the beginning of our homeschooling, they just didn't know any better! Haha! They actually like the way we do it now. We do 4 weeks of school and then take 1 week off throughout the year with a few extra weeks in June. DD10 especially just doesn't want to do the work to catch up on what she forgets. They already forget after several weeks off in June. I am ready for a break again, though.
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon May 04, 2015 6:15 am

jjn3beans wrote:They already forget after several weeks off in June. I am ready for a break again, though.
This is the only reason we do some review each week! I was SO frustrated after the first 3 years of homeschooling where my kids would forget everything and we had to practically start over from square one each year. I have vowed to NEVER have that happen again. So we do some math review and we read. Those are the only two things I care if we do. And I do like that it gives them something to do during the day. I like having a schedule! If we don't have a schedule, everyone has way too much time on their hands and then they become listless. But we also do a lot of stuff like swimming and canning (I have a garden) and so that helps to create summer work. And I plan quite a few day trips as well - I love to be outside and try to make that a priority for the summer.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM