A few other newbie questions about RtR, mostly

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Little Women

A few other newbie questions about RtR, mostly

Post by Little Women » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:31 pm

I've been doing a lot of reading, not surprisingly. :) I am looking at doing RtR with my upcoming 7th grader, and I have a few questions:

1. She will be doing science with our co-op, which will be physical science. I had originally looked at the Rev. to Rev. (I think that's how you are abbreviating it, right? :) ) and I loved the inventor's pages. Are those built into the student guide for each year, or are they available for separate purchase? I think they would be easy to add onto what she's doing at co-op, but it would be hard to add on the entire science program that is found in the HOD RtR manual.

2. Where are the extension assignments found? I didn't see them in the sample pages, and I'm thinking maybe I read that they were in the back of the book? If they are easy to overlook, I can guarantee that my child will do so, whether deliberately or not, I do not know. :roll: Do they read both the basic and the extension?

3. She has a good grasp of basic grammar and is a quick learner when it comes to language, but hasn't done any of the R&S books. I'm guessing that you would recommend level 5. If so, though, I'd like to go ahead and do it all in 1 year, since she is a bit older. I saw a note under a different HOD program that level 6 is easy to schedule in a 1-year format. Will level 5 be easy to figure out how to do it in a year instead of the 2 years that are scheduled, as well?

4. I have a significant portion of the books in the package, at least half of them, and a preponderance of the more expensive ones (such as Mystery of History, eg, and the Diana Waring tapes). Is it possible to buy the remaining parts separately? (I would go through and add up the totals each way, of course, but I'm pretty sure it will be a lot less for me to do them separately.)

I think I have another question or two, but that's all I remember for now. Thanks!
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

StephanieU

Re: A few other newbie questions about RtR, mostly

Post by StephanieU » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:29 pm

I can answer a few of the questions.
The extensions are scheduled in the Appendix of each guide. The schedule assigns the reading of reach day and gives you a basic idea of what assignments to assign for each reading (written and oral narrations, etc).

As for Rod and Staff English, if she is 7th grade, then level 5 at half speed could be enough. You will only be completing through Level 8 in high school, so going full speed isn't necessarily required. That being said, it is very easy to do 1 page a day and finish the book in about a year. We did that with level 2 this year (doing the Beyond guide). Carrie did skip a chapter in Level 2, so that is the only thing you would have to check. In the case of Level 2, it was a chapter that HOD covers in other places (alphabetizing, dictionary, etc)

As for purchasing, you can very easily add specific books to the cart and not the whole package. You will see the Add to Cart link under each individual book on the packages page. HOD also does allow a small number of substitutions, so I would confirm how many items you have. For the economy package of RtR, it is three titles you can substitute.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

sltress

Post by sltress » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 pm

The inventor pages can be bought separately. Not sure if you said you have the guide but the guide tells you what to write in the boxes. Mostly it has boxes for the student's written narration of the reading for that week, but also it has the student entering several timeline entries for each inventor. There are also pictures for reference such as the Model T. If you aren't reading the books scheduled for science then I would think it would be pointless to get the inventor pages because the books are where most of the information for the inventor pages comes from. Hope that makes sense and is helpful in your decision making.
Stacey

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:04 pm

Yes, R&S level 5 will be easy to schedule in a one year format if you wish to do it all in one year. It is actually scheduled, in one year, in Rev2Rev. R&S has 125 lessons in each grammar book, except for book 2 which has 150 lessons. To do it in one year you would do one lesson each day for 4 days a week. The one thing to keep in mind though is Carrie schedules other writing on the days she doesn't schedule R&S level 5 in RTR.

Carrie schedules the first 1/2 of level 5 in CTC, and then the second 1/2 of level 5 (starting with lesson 59) in RTR. If I remember correctly the reason is to slow the grammar down a little bit while the students are adding additional writing with Writing With the Best and IEW. Then in Rev2Rev grammar is scheduled again at 4 days a week for either level 5 or level 6.

You can swap out 2 books, for most packages, and replace them with another book of equal or lesser value and still receive the package discounts.

I hope that helps.