Res2Ref Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
planningwdwtrips

Res2Ref Science

Post by planningwdwtrips » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Our DD12 will use the Res2Ref science add-on next school year for 7th grade. Since she will use a different core curriculum than HOD, would it possible to find out the order of the science books without ordering the TG? :?:

My main questions:
Are the books chronologically arranged or scheduled to use multiple books at a time (overlapping)?
How many weeks does each book cover?

I would LOVE to have a written schedule but can't justify the cost of the TG since she would use it only for science. :)

Any suggestions?

Nealewill

Re: Res2Ref Science

Post by Nealewill » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Books typically are used in order but it would be almost impossible to do the science without the TG.

Science in HOD is much more than just a schedule of books that kids read. Every week Carrie schedules a notebooking page, written narration, oral narration and a weekly science experiment (many times it is a thought out experiment that she dictates rather using one from the book as several of the books selected do not come with any experiments). In addition, as you study these different areas of science, you are also learning about famous individuals from that area of science. So that would also be difficult to completely line up. If you like the books and wanted to do your own thing, that would be fine. But you would not be able to do it the way that HOD does it and it will leave you wanting because you didn't have the plans.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Just curious - which core are you planning to use from HOD? Would it be possible to modify that one? Also - if you buy the TG for RestoRef, then when you actually get to that one and place your order, HOD will give you a credit on your bill for the cost of that guide.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

planningwdwtrips

Post by planningwdwtrips » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Nealewill wrote:Books typically are used in order but it would be almost impossible to do the science without the TG.

Science in HOD is much more than just a schedule of books that kids read. Every week Carrie schedules a notebooking page, written narration, oral narration and a weekly science experiment (many times it is a thought out experiment that she dictates rather using one from the book as several of the books selected do not come with any experiments). In addition, as you study these different areas of science, you are also learning about famous individuals from that area of science. So that would also be difficult to completely line up. If you like the books and wanted to do your own thing, that would be fine. But you would not be able to do it the way that HOD does it and it will leave you wanting because you didn't have the plans.
I know the way DD will do HOD science will not be the full HOD experience. We are OK with that. I choose Res2Ref because DD doesn't enjoy science at all, however she does like reading a lot. :) I asked her what she wanted to study next year and she hinted at Earth Science. I came across Res2Ref because I was looking for more living books and books that had chapter tests, review activities, answer keys and worksheets.

planningwdwtrips

Post by planningwdwtrips » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Nealewill wrote:Just curious - which core are you planning to use from HOD? Would it be possible to modify that one? Also - if you buy the TG for RestoRef, then when you actually get to that one and place your order, HOD will give you a credit on your bill for the cost of that guide.
We aren't using a HOD core. We are only using the science part of Res2Ref.

Thanks so much for replying!!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:25 am

We are currently using Res to Ref. The science books do seem to just run front to back in the order listed on the website so you could certainly just use the books listed. If you are not planning to get the HOD manual, you will be missing out on some of experiments. Also, HOD does not do tests or such. Instead they use a lot of narration (orally or written). So without the manual, you are basically getting a list of books to read. Though I understand that the Apologia books do come with journals or lab kits to use their experiments. Also the Planet Earth book does have quizzes at the end of each chapter in the book. Or if you're using the AIG book, they do have tests and such on their CDs. But using the books without the HOD manual will give you a completely different experience than if you were using the manual. Not bad, just different.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

planningwdwtrips

Post by planningwdwtrips » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:09 am

crlacey wrote:We are currently using Res to Ref. The science books do seem to just run front to back in the order listed on the website so you could certainly just use the books listed. If you are not planning to get the HOD manual, you will be missing out on some of experiments. Also, HOD does not do tests or such. Instead they use a lot of narration (orally or written). So without the manual, you are basically getting a list of books to read. Though I understand that the Apologia books do come with journals or lab kits to use their experiments. Also the Planet Earth book does have quizzes at the end of each chapter in the book. Or if you're using the AIG book, they do have tests and such on their CDs. But using the books without the HOD manual will give you a completely different experience than if you were using the manual. Not bad, just different.
Thank you Crystal! You answered my biggest question (the order listed) and I greatly appreciate it!! With DD's dislike of science we don't do experiments. We have done them in the past, however she gets so much more out of just reading them for now. She actually asked for tests and workbook pages for science next year. All but the living books (Galileo and Newton) of the Res2Ref listed books have them and that is what attracted me to this package. I know it won't be the HOD true experience. Honestly I was looking more for a great list of books than the actual HOD experience itself.

Thank you again!! :D

Little Women

Post by Little Women » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 pm

This ties a little into my question, too. I am thinking of getting Res2Rev for this year, but dd will be doing Apologia physical science with her co-op. I'm perfectly fine skipping the R2R assignments, but I would really like her to do the inventors stuff, which is in the HOD Rev2Rev, instead of the Res to Ref that I am buying. I'm gathering that I'd have to order the teacher's guide and the student guide, in order to have the inventor's pages and assignments. I'm OK with skipping the other physical science stuff, too, and I don't have a problem with all that--I'm thinking I might get some of the full-sticky-backed sticky notes for this purpose. But I do want the pages! I may have to buy 2 sets of guides.....
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:02 am

If you buy the Rev2Rev guide early, then next year they will give you the package discount when you are ready to purchase all of the materials for Rev2Rev.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG