Beyond question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SarahAngeline

Beyond question

Post by SarahAngeline » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi everyone!

We are in Beyond 1st grade unit 17. Thus far I have been having my son do his copy work on 1st-2nd grade paper. I've actually been writing it down on 1st-2nd grade paper and having him copy it onto another paper. I'm just wondering how others handle copy work at this stage. Do you have your kids use the bigger lined paper during first grade or do you eventually wean them down to smaller lined paper? I'm just wondering what is considered normal or standard for 1st grade. Do some of you also write the poetry down for your kids to copy, or do you just have them copy directly from the book? Thanks! :)

StephanieU

Re: Beyond question

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 pm

We used primary lined paper for a while, but my daughter had moved to using two lines of standard paper. I make the red and blue marks at the very edge of the paper so she knows which line is which. She can also use just a single line, but not all of her letters end up the right size when she does that.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm

We are at the end of Beyond, and he is writing it on 1st grade paper. I started out copying it for him on to the paper, skipping lines for him to write directly under the line he was copying. Then, I moved to copying it on one paper for him to copy on to his own paper. Finally, I began letting him copy it from the book.
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:01 pm

My daughter just used a wide-ruled notebook. I would re-type the poem and cut it apart into 2-line segments and she would copy one segment each day into her notebook. I did increase it slowly over the year until she was copying 4 lines at a time.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I have two in Beyond this year. My 8yo writes in a three-lined notebook (dash-in-the-middle lines). He copies directly from the book. He is able to write on single lined notebook paper, but so far all of his poetry is being copied into his three-lined notebook. My 6yo does her copywork in a three-lined notebook as well. Her lines are bigger than my 8yo. I copy each line into her book for her to copy directly underneath. She has/had trouble making sure her letters were the right size in proportion to each other. This form of copying helps her to see exactly how big each letter should be compared to the next letter.
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 pm

Good thoughts here already! :D The shrinking of the writing and the strengthening of fine motor skills takes time. :wink: I did a post about Riley''s handwriting, and how I tried to prepare him for writing on wide-lined notebook paper. This has never been something that just happened. It seemed to prepare him well for BHFHG. Here are some pics of it, in case it is helpful...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5605&p=41147#p41147

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:30 am

We always just use regular notebook paper... sometimes wide ruled, sometimes college, just depending on what dh picks up at the store ;) Actually, thinking about it, we use composition notebooks for the copywork, but it's still whatever we have in our school supplies cabinet. We write on notebook paper from the beginning though. The only time they use different types of paper are the times they choose to do their handwriting book or when it is in the FMS book in LHFHG. But I'm not a stickler for actually teaching handwriting. If it's legible I'm good with it.