Advice for Ordering Bigger and DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gardenmama28

Advice for Ordering Bigger and DITHOR

Post by gardenmama28 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Hi there, I am getting ready to order my books for Bigger Hearts and DITHOR but I am confused about what books to get. First, do I need Book Projects to send home in order to do DITHOR, or is that optional. Second, is the level 2/3 book pack designed to be used with DITHOR, or is it just for extra reading practice? Also, we do not need the extension pack, but I am a bookaholic and would love to know which books from the extension pack would be especially nice in my home library. Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: Advice for Ordering Bigger and DITHOR

Post by StephanieU » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm

As for DITHOR, you will need a set of books to use. You do not have to buy a book pack from HOD, but it is often the easiest way to get the right level and length of books for DITHOR.
As for the book projects, they aren't necessary, but again they are helpful. The last 5 days of DITHOR are a book project. The Book Projects to Take Home are great options to use. But, there are other ways to do a book project during that last week. So, it is optional but helpful.
And as for extension books, you will notice a few are used/listed as storytime books in Bigger - Ben and Me is the one that comes to mind because it is in the Classic set. But I think there is one or two others that Carrie lists in the Boy or Girl sets. I would say those are great ones to have!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

countrymom

Re: Advice for Ordering Bigger and DITHOR

Post by countrymom » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:12 pm

We didn't do the extensions either, but we read several of the books because they looked so good. I felt they added to the history and we really enjoyed them. The books we read (** means all time favorites):
** Ben and Me (even my 5 yr old loved this one)
** Guns for General Washington
Tolliver's Secret
Buffalo Knife
The Great Horn Spoon
Freedom Train
** Bud and Me (not to be confused with Ben and Me)
We also read "Pedro's Journal" but then discovered that is used in Preparing so I would skip that one. Enjoy!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC