Is anyone doing Latin?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Is anyone doing Latin?

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Is anyone doing Latin? If so, what are you using, and for what ages?
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Nealewill

Re: Is anyone doing Latin?

Post by Nealewill » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:37 pm

I am doing Latin with my kids. It is the only deviation/extra I have from the guides :-)

I use Classical Academic Press. My younger two kids are going through Song School Latin together. And then my oldest is completing Primer A. The Primer series are VERY full. My oldest doesn't complete a level in a year. And there is a lot of grammar in each level too. For me, it is all about exposing my kids more vocab. All of them love their Latin books. With my oldest, it takes her a 6 days to complete one chapter. There are videos that go with it, an activity book and then I subscribed to Headventureland. On headventureland, it is set up as an online review of what she studied in the chapter. There are lots of fun games and she has to pass each game to get to the next one for each chapter. I only have her work on Latin 20 min or so per day and she only does it 4 days per week. My younger 2 only take about 15 min per day 3 days per week. They can play the latin card games on the 4th day of the week if they want to. They do like the games so they do play them. The Song School Latin (level 1) does come with a workbook, the teacher guide has additional worksheets, and then there is a DVD. My younger 2 kids love it too :-) Next year, my younger two will complete Song School Latin level 2 and I am hoping that the DVD is available for them by then.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 pm

My 16yo is using Visual Latin (supplemented with Lingua Latin) and loves it. VF says it is appropriate for 10 and up.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

sltress

Post by sltress » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 pm

We have done both a bit of Visual Latin and all of Latin for Children A over the last 2 years. We started LFC B this year but it was too much. My son just turned 13 and so we have been doing Getting Started with Latin. It is very cheap and the lessons are short. There are no videos, songs, chants, games or puzzles. It is one book, quick and to the point. The website has free files where you can hear the pronunciation for each lesson and the teacher will even read the lesson if you want. There is constant review in the translating from lesson to lesson. You can see samples on their site and amazon too, I believe. Just as a side note, Carrie has scheduled Getting Started with Spanish from the same author in the WG guide.
Stacey

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:05 am

My almost 16 year old ds is using Visual Latin and LOVES it. He is learning so much.
Jenn, mom to 10