R&S english- which one??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ms13

R&S english- which one??

Post by ms13 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:52 pm

We will be doing preparing in the fall. Was wondering which R&S english to do- 3 or 4??
Daughter will be 10(may) in 5th grade but has had no diagramming and knows nouns,verbs and some adjectives. What do you all suggest??

abrightmom

Re: R&S english- which one??

Post by abrightmom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:09 pm

English 4. :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:52 pm

I would check the scope and sequence for Rod and Staff (just google it and you can find it - Carrie has asked we not share links other than HOD pages on the board).
Also what guide will your younger one be using? Preparing schedules 3 and 4, and CtC schedules 4 and 5. If you are using CtC, I would lean towards Level 4 just so you have the page numbers in the guide.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:41 am

I personally felt like 3 did a great job of hand holding with not only nouns and verbs but pronouns and helping verbs. R&S 3 also helped a lot with adjectives and adverbs. R&S 3 also spent a lot of time of subject, predicate, direct objects and things like that. There was a lot of diagraming practice. My dd did R&S 3 when she was 9 and it was a great fit. If your dd is going into 5th grade, you could do R&S 3 for 5th, R&S 4 for 6th, R&S 5 for 7th and then R&S 6 for 8th. This would keep you right on target.

My dd is doing R&S 4 this year and things are going fine. But the make up of the chapters is a little bit different. In R&S 3, they spent a lot of time making sure that your could understand the parts of a sentence. R&S 4 is applying a lot of it this year. So far with R&S 4 we have spent a lot of time applying tense and doing a few writing assignments. There has been some diagraming but it is mainly listed in the reviews. R&S 4 did not spend a lot of time teaching diagraming.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:33 pm

I would say level 3. Level 3 is where diagramming starts, and it lays a foundation for the diagramming in 4. With the grammar she has had I think it would work well for you.

ms13

Post by ms13 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:03 pm

i think i will do english 3 with her in preparing. She has not had that much grammar yet. thanks everyone.