Math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mommato5

Math?

Post by Mommato5 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 am

After looking at the placement charts I feel my 5th grader places nicely in CTC. The only question I really have for him is with math. He started in Singapore math and then switched over to teaching textbooks. He's currently in TT 5, the problem I'm having there is that he is not remembering previous concepts he has learned. I see HOD recommends SM and I'm wondering if this program will do better with him remembering concepts long term. I'm definitely switching him from TT, just want to make sure this is the best fit for him, TIA

StephanieU

Re: Math?

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:01 am

Why did you switch from Singapore to TT originally? Was it just the "grass is greener" scenario or was there something about Singapore that wasn't working? If it was just a
grass is greener" reason for switching, then switching back should work. You would want to use the placement test, remembering that Singapore uses an end of course placement test (If they pass 4A for example, then they start in 4B).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mommato5

Post by Mommato5 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 am

There were a few reasons we switched. #1 was the physical act of writing was torture for him when he was younger. He is ok now with writing more so that is no longer a problem. When we hit long division he really struggled there too and also word problems were very challenging and frustrating to him. He has done well in TT but he recently did a standardized test and his math scores were lower than they should of been :( he had forgotten how to do long division so that is my main reason for wanting to switch and wanting to see if SM will be a better fit and having enough review where he won't forget things in the long run.

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:37 pm

We tried TT for a while with my dc because it was easier for me but they started to forget what they had previously learned so we are back to singapore math. As for long term retention, my oldest is only in 4th, so maybe someone else can chime in there. We do also continue to review our math facts with xtramath too.
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:13 pm

I was using RightStart math for my kids and I did love RightStart. But I found that my kids just didn't have enough practice or understanding when they were learning new things. I feel like Singapore is great. I am really enjoying it. I switched my oldest over at the beginning of the year, my youngest has been doing a little bit of both RightStart and Singapore and my middle child recently just made the switch as well.

I think you will need to pray about it. If you looked at the placement test, where would your son place right now? I do know that Singapore does things in a bit of a different order. For us, I found that my kids are one level below their "grade" level. For me, this is great because it gives the plenty of time to mature into their level and it seems like math isn't so stressful. In level 4 and 5 of Singapore, there are a lot of challenging topics. I like that Singapore gives plenty of practice and review and I do feel like my kids are remembering it. But I also know that it isn't good to jump around. If your child is struggling with TT, I would pray about the why. My only concern with jumping around would be that he may miss somethings or you may need to place your son much lower in Singapore than you prefer.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mommato5

Post by Mommato5 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Thank you. I went ahead and ordered 4a. I think he needs a more solid grasp on the concepts in that book plus he didn't know everything covered there. We will probably work some through the summer too. Thank you for the advice :)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:36 am

My oldest started in 4A. She has learned SO much and really enjoyed it :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM