Bigger Storytime and DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tmstranger

Bigger Storytime and DITHOR

Post by tmstranger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:14 pm

I was wondering if the Storytime books for Bigger could be used for DITHOR. Or should I just order the appropriate book pack?

Thanks.

StephanieU

Re: Bigger Storytime and DITHOR

Post by StephanieU » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:22 pm

The storytime books are at a higher reading level and longer than most kids in Bigger can read. I would definitely consider the appropriate level of books over the Bigger storytime books if your child is in Bigger.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:40 pm

The DITHOR book packs are coordinated by reading level as well as for the genres. The storytime packs are for the parent to read and therefore contain a broader range of reading levels. While some of the books might be appropriate, you would need to look up each book's reading level to see if it is an appropriate reading level for your child. I have substituted DITHOR books my child has already read with books from the storytime packs, but I always had to look up reading levels to find the most appropriate book. It was a little more challenging when my child was at the level 2 and 3 readers than it would be now as most of the books were just a tad too advanced for what I wanted him to read at that level. In general, the appropriate level book pack would be best for DITHOR. HTH.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

tmstranger

Post by tmstranger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks. I'm not worried about reading level. I have looked up most of them either in my library or online samples. I just was wondering if they would fit what DITHOR is teaching them...I had read before that Carrie's selections for DITHOR fit best. It sounds like they would work if we needed them to. I'm just planning next year and thought we may do some other read alouds, so I was thinking of assigning just one or two of those as DITHOR books to save my reading time, if that makes sense.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Storytime in Beyond and Bigger is basically a lighter version of DITHOR, so the books would work well. But there are slightly different skills used when listening vs reading. I have been able to find a lot of the bills on CD at our library, so I get those when possible. We listen to them together, with my daughter following along in the book. It works great that way for us, so great that I gave my mil two books for Bigger to records audio for.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 pm

I complete understand your plight :-) DITHOR and Storytime are similar but different as well. My kids absolutely love when I read to them so I don't think I want to give up that box. Plus, with DITHOR, I only do that 3 days a week. In Bigger, it is scheduled every day but in Preparing through MTMM, it isn't. So I wouldn't want to give up that box.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM