State study

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holyhart

State study

Post by holyhart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:53 am

I'm curious how others have added in their own state study? By state regulations, I need to have my kiddos do this at some point before they graduate. What has worked best for you? How did you schedule it in without it becoming overwhelming to the day?
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

crlacey

Re: State study

Post by crlacey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:13 am

Rev to Rev has a state study included in the plans if you want it. So if you were planning to use HOD all the way through the guides, you should be able to add a state study that year. If you are talking about specifically for your state, there are lot of resources online that you could do a short unit study at the end of any year. When we were in PA and had to add PA state history to the year, we visited a historic site such as Old Philadelphia or Gettysburg.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:00 am

Yes, I meant specific to our own state. For us that would be New Hampshire. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:38 am

MTMM has an option for individual state study as well. You might look at that...it is an outside order.

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:41 am

MtMM has the individual state study. Sorry, I can't post links right now, but if you will go to the MtMM packages page, it is listed just above the science package. I think you order it directly from the company that publishes it and choose your own state. It is scheduled in the guide on an alternating basis with the presidents study.
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:55 am

That's perfect! I'll get to it in a couple years with my eldest then. That will work beautifully! Glad that I won't have to figure it out by myself. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm

We enjoyed the State Study so much! It is actually extremely narrative, and while it has all of the major happenings one should know about his/her state, it also has some less known, quirky, witty, interesting facts that had our son sharing this or that at the supper table all of the time. :D It's also colorful, includes all the pictures of flags, symbols, flowers, etc. needed for the notebook. And it is independent. I bet you and Evelyn will love it! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:21 am

Julie, can I just tell you how much I love when you answer? You always make everything sound so fun! :D I'm sure Evelyn and I will have lots of fun with NH study when we get there. I wasn't homeschooled, but my grandmother spent a summer teaching me all about NH history when I was around 9 years old. I had so much fun with that! And I remember so much more than just the basics that we covered in school. One of my favorite stories was about where the expression "gave me the willies" came from (do you use that expression in ND or is that regional to New England??). http://stayworkplay.org/blog/it-gave-me-the-willies/
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10