A Child's Geo. in CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

A Child's Geo. in CTC

Post by Gwenny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Honestly, I haven't had much sympathy for people when they say they don't really like a particular book in a certain guide. :oops: I usually think it's just something they haven't been exposed to but good for them to learn, or something like that. I've pretty much liked all of the books, so it hasn't been a struggle for me. Well, now I'm eating crow because I just CAN'T enjoy A Child's Geography Vol. II. I bought both of the books years ago thinking they looked great, but just started this one in CTC. I've plugged through with it until this week. We are on Unit 26. I read a couple of paragraphs today and put it down saying that I couldn't read any more--it was driving me crazy! I have enjoyed some of it and learned a few things, but it's her style of writing. It is just too much for me, too "flowery" I guess I'd say. I know many like her writing--she's obviously a very successful writer.

We bought her Christmas book this year as so many have raved about it--Unwrapping the Greatest Gift--we tried a few days and had to stop. :) Her style made us crazy.

So, all of that to say--I need to remember that we have different tastes and it's okay. :lol:

I think that one book out of the hundreds so far is a pretty good record. :D
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

snadig

Re: A Child's Geo. in CTC

Post by snadig » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:36 pm

My dd didn't enjoy it much either, but some of it was because I was having her do the quizzes. It was a challenge for us to get through. So I am right there with you. We all have different tastes. I had a hard time with roots, but tried to make the best of it. I am sure there are a few others, but for the most part love the books. :)
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:53 am

Gwenny wrote:Well, now I'm eating crow because I just CAN'T enjoy A Child's Geography Vol. II. I bought both of the books years ago thinking they looked great, but just started this one in CTC. I've plugged through with it until this week. We are on Unit 26. I read a couple of paragraphs today and put it down saying that I couldn't read any more--it was driving me crazy! I have enjoyed some of it and learned a few things, but it's her style of writing. It is just too much for me, too "flowery" I guess I'd say.
You are cracking me up. One thing I do love about HOD is that they do have so many different styles of books. There have been a few books I personally haven't enjoyed (like The Door in the Wall - I absolutely hated that book) but that my kids actually loved (like....The Door in the Wall....LOL). I can also say that geography book did have to grow on me too. I can get a bit tuckered out when reading out loud to my kids and some times there was just a lot to read. What I did, because some of the days had quite a bit of reading, was I would read 2-3 pages on the day it was scheduled and then read the next 2 pages on the following day that I read from the Genesis book. This mainly only happened in the beginning of the year though. I also am not a *flowery* type of book reader either. I hate reading extensive descriptions. But when you think about it, that is kind of the point of the book, to get a good description in your mind LOL? And finally, I read well out loud when I am read some kind of adventure story or interesting novel. But I don't sound nearly as nice or exciting when I read something like this :-) With this type of book, it can sometimes sound a bit disjointed at times with my pausing and possibly rereading a sentence that didn't have quite the right flow. Or, I might need to pause to sound out some of these words. All in all, my daughter has actually loved it. Some days where I have found the reading long, she may get squirmy and that is why I also might split it up bit, but now she does well. We are in Unit 25 so I am right behind you. And the nice thing that I like also is that my kids get to do the maps and the travel log. I like that it is a nice complement and just very balanced. I wonder though - could your husband read it to her? That is what I did with the Door in the Wall. I read the first page and just stopped! I just didn't like it one bit. My husband then read it to my daughter (and my other two listened in) when he came home from work each day. My kids - all of them - would flock to daddy when he walked in the door actually begging him to read before dinner because they liked the book so much! So anyway, it is just a thought :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:03 am

Oh, I can't stand Ann Voskamp's style of writing. UGH. UGH. Way too cerebral for me. We skipped CTC when we went through with my oldest, and when he did her other Geography book in RTR for sciemce, he read on his own, so I didn't have to endure it. Of course, I never thought to ask him if he hated it. ;) LOL.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:15 am

I woke up this morning thinking about this post and that I should remove it. I decided it was nothing more than a complaint and I didn't want to do that. I so love HOD and don't want to knock it in any way. :oops: I certainly don't want to discourage others.

But, seeing the replies, I realize that I'm glad I did because it is going to help me pick the book back up and finish! There are many great things about it. The mapping and the travel logs are great, she does paint a picture of the places unlike other books. Nealewil has a great idea for getting through it. I also need to set a good example for my daughter and not give her the idea that we have to love every book--and certainly not have the idea that she can not do something in the guide because it's not her style!! :shock: :lol: My daughter had never complained about it. I hope I don't pay for that yesterday and she starts complaining. :roll:

Motherjoy, I saw that the next one is in RTR and I was a little worried. But, you are right, she will read it on her own and I don't have to worry about it! :lol: I know she will learn great stuff from it since Carrie picked it.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:06 am

Gwenny wrote:I hope I don't pay for that yesterday and she starts complaining. :roll:
If she does, it is a great character teaching moment. You can just tell her that you had a rough day, prayed about it and that the Lord changed your heart. You can also explain why you are choosing to move forward making it an even stronger teaching moment :-) Chances are, if she didn't complain in the past, then she probably won't complain today :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:16 am

Gwenny,

The interesting thing about this particular volume is that it is written in a very different, yet narrative style making it unique. This unique style is part of what makes the book memorable! :D It is also true that while some books may make us weary while reading aloud, from a child's perspective the same reaction doesn't always apply as the listener!

At times, I have found the length of various books daunting, and I have had to allow myself to read less aloud at that point. So, my advice to you would be to persevere (as the book has much merit), but to allow your child to read as much of it as he/she can handle. So, perhaps you only read the first page or the last couple of pages, but you let your child read the rest. You may find that your child actually enjoys the study this way, and you will be less stressed over the assignment as well. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks Carrie and Nealewill!! You are both right. Great teaching moment for sure.

Actually, she can totally read it on her own. She's on the older end of the guide and a great reader. The only reason I was reading it was because it said to and I felt guilty for not doing it--like I was a slacker to make her do it. I'm turning it back over to her! I will just read the Genesis to her. I love that book. :)
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

snadig

Post by snadig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:59 am

I really enjoyed this thread this morning. I agree to keep going forward in the books that may not be our favorite, I always am gaining something from finishing and so are the kids. I like the idea of having the kids reading some of it on their own, if they can. I really love HOD.
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:32 am

We will be doing CTC next year, and I know my middle boys will love the Geo book. :) It doesn't matter so much if mom always enjoys it.

I wasn't trying to complain either. My oldest did like her other geo book and learned quite a bit when he went through it in RTR.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 am

Good, I'm glad to hear that she enjoyed the book in RTR. I'm sure my daughter will also. I'm so ready for her to get to the next guide!!
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

snadig

Post by snadig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm

My dd is doing the RTR guide right now, and she is learning a lot from the next geography book. She says it isn't her favorite, but she always does science first. :D I think she enjoys it more than she thinks. I don't want to sound like I was complaining either. I really like all that we have done and are doing. It is so neat to see the kids sharing with each other and wanting to listen to the others readings, even my high schooler listens in on the readings. So blessed! Thank you Carrie.
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:49 pm

It will be over a year until we get to CTC, but looking at some of the pages in this book, I expect my daughter will like it. Geography is tough for her because of her visual perception problems, especially in reading maps. I think this book will make it more interesting for her. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Lucinda

Post by Lucinda » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:05 pm

This book really tested my abilities to read aloud, but I loved the content. I learned so very much and so did my daughter. As a bonus, I felt a real sense of accomplishment when we finished it. :)

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:58 pm

I will say that A Child's Geography did bug me last year but DS liked it. He liked it so much that he was thrilled when he saw the book for RTR! Once he got to it in the guide, he asked me to read it to him because he so much enjoyed how I read the other volume.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!