Preparing Hearts For His Glory

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Izzielou

Preparing Hearts For His Glory

Post by Izzielou » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 pm

I am interested in using Preparing Hearts for His Glory with my 4th/5th grader. We have two younger children (2nd grade and Kindergarten). I am wondering if Grandpa's Box and the other reading materials in this curriculum would be engaging for the younger children. We have enjoyed doing most of school together up until this point, but I am ready to give my oldest more independent work (I think!) but we all enjoy reading together so much, I wanted to see what others' experience with this curriculum's recommended reading was.
Thanks in advance for helping!

The2youngs

Re: Preparing Hearts For His Glory

Post by The2youngs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:20 pm

I would not recommend using A Child's History of the World (the main spine, alongside Grandpa's Box) with a K'er and 2nd. We used it previously with my 1st'er through another curriculum and ended up shelving it as there were topics I didn't feel were appropriate to discuss at such a young age, specifically Greek gods/mythology. After coming to HOD, I saw Carrie used CHOW in Preparing and realized that was a much more appropriate age level, as we've built a solid biblical foundation already to begin having conversations about false gods. I'm looking forward to reading it next year with my son, as I think spiritually he's ready for it.

In all honesty, I cannot speak to the second half of CHOW as I have yet to read it in its entirety (we are only up to Bigger thus far!).

What I have discovered with our kids being at different levels, is that they all like to listen in to each other's history and science anyway. It might not happen daily, depending on their workload for the day, but they usually try to sneak in a quick listen if they can! So, even if you had your older one in Preparing and your younger two in LHFHG or Beyond, depending on their levels on the placement chart, you wouldn't have to be completely segregated in all things. Furthermore, what a neat opportunity for your kids to begin sharing what they're learning with each other!
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref