"just a little more" takes lots of time

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

"just a little more" takes lots of time

Post by Gwenny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:17 am

I think I'm figuring out why my day gets so long and I always feel so far behind. I feel like my children should be farther ahead in certain subjects and I am always trying to "catch them up". I know that a lot of the reason for them being where they are is that I was not diligent to keep them going at certain times, I let life and circumstances get in the way because we were so busy, etc.

So, what I do is try to do a little bit extra each day. If I'm working with my 12 yo, I try to do at least 2 R&S lessons--because they are "so short", and that math lesson was pretty short today, let's do another one, we are behind in WWTB, so let's do 3 days worth today, let's do several dictations today, and so on. She can handle the work to an extent, but it takes more time than I realize and then it is crunch time with the others. Some days I might not get to a younger one because my time is spent.

Yesterday, I tried to just stick to the guide and the recommendations for lessons, pages done, etc. with all of them. I was thinking about MomtoJGJE and how she says they clip right on through and she doesn't let things drag out. :) I tried to not be a drill sergeant and rush rush but just keep moving. I also changed the order a little bit based on what MomtoJGJE says she does. I worked with the CtC first on things we do together and then moved to the others. I also finally had figured out what the other two could do indendently while I started on the CtC girl.

Anyway, it went so much better. I guess what I need to is just be okay with where they are and keep plugging along. I want to be further along in Bigger for my 10 yo, but we aren't, so I need to be okay with that. I want to be further along with my CtC girl in English and math and WWTB, but she's not and I need to be okay with that. :shock:
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Re: "just a little more" takes lots of time

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:32 am

It does! We do "just a little more" frequently... but we save it for when what everyone has to get done is done. If it's something they can do independently (like math if it's not a new concept) then they are free to go ahead if they are done with their regular work. If everyone else is working on something we might do a dictation or something fairly quick like that. But you are right... there are a lot of days I don't get to school with Evie because of our "just a little more"

Mibellesmom

Post by Mibellesmom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Edited: I struggle in wanting to be a at certain unit in the guide, especially at this time of the year that summer is so close. I mentioned the workbox system because it is helping so I don’t feel tempted to double up. Of course, it’s not necessary and there are many other ways to keep organized.

We have recently implemented a modified version of the work box system and it's working extremely well to keep us moving! It has made our school day much shorter. I made an order to the boxes so that I am available to help each of them. They like to surprise them with gum or snacks to make it fun. But I think what they like the most is that it's not overwhelming and they can see how much they have done and how more they still have to do. It forces me to be more organized and lay out the books they need for the next day. A lot of time was being wasted looking for books etc.

Last edited by Mibellesmom on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Glad it sounds like it is getting better as well :-)

I have found that for my kids, I really can't double up. There are days that math and spelling do skipped. Oops. LOL. But in general, if I get behind in WWTB, I do on the same day as grammar. My oldest dd is really enjoying writing anyway and so some days I have to push the WWTB book over multiple days, especially on the day 7 and 8 of the plans. Sometimes I just let her finish her paper on the days that day 9 and 10 are scheduled. She is really into typing it up. So we set a timer for 15-20 min and I let her type each day and that is all.

I do agree about the comment about wasting time looking for books. My kids each have their own table (we found used kitchen tables and use them for desks) and we keep all the books, notebooks, pens/pencils, you name it, at the "desk." This way when they have school, they know what they need to do and they get it done. I have always liked the looks of the workboxes but never really found a way to make it work for me. For the younger kids, I have a notebook that I keep for them and I write down their daily assignments in the notebook. Other than that, my oldest just gets the manual. I can't wait till next year when I can give two kids the manual :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Gwenny,

This is such an interesting post, as it is something that I have learned the hard way myself as we have schooled through the years. I have since that time of dawning become a get-it-done, check the box type of teacher. I do take time to stop and discuss things that are scheduled as discussions in the guide, but I avoid doubling up on things or pushing on further than planned for the day. I have discovered in the long haul that schooling in this manner means that none of my littles get neglected (which wasn't the case before when I was so busy pushing my olders or middlers). :wink:

It is also very freeing to only do what is planned in the guide each day, as both you and your students know exactly what to expect. It is like reaching your destination and feeling successful each day that you have reached it! :D Plus, my boys do not love to have me add things on when they happen to finish early. They feel that free time should be their reward for finishing early, rather than more work! Go figure! :lol:

Honestly, in the long haul just steadily doing what is scheduled each day means that you will cover a lot of ground through the years. Slow and steady truly does win the race, rather than a sporadic and jumpy pace that omits or adds along the way. Plus, steady progress through the plans leads to a steady rise in skills and an even progression toward higher levels of difficulty which often cannot be rushed. So, before you resort to cramming it in, just allow yourself to progress at the guide's pace. For students who are well-placed in their guide the journey will be much more joyful this way! :)

Blessings,
Carrie

BriansLovie

Post by BriansLovie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:17 am

Carrie, thank you so much for your post in this thread. It has helped me!
*Kara*

Mama to three boys:

J (8) - HOD Bigger
J (6) - MFW K
A (2) - Tagging along

We have used LHFHG and BLHFHG.

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm so thankful for this conversation. It's tough as homeschoolers not to follow every new product-whim that pops up and interject another product into the day. This was my weak area prior to HOD (I used a more open ended history program that never gave me a set stopping point and we accomplished just 1/4 of the assigned year in 10 months!) :? I've homeschooled long enough now that I know my weak spots and I just try to just stay focused on what is scheduled if at all possible. My kids feel so comfortable with their expectations, as well, and are less frustrated with my rabbit trails or long-winded talking points or 'just one more thing today'!

HOD has been a huge blessing for my family over all of the these years. Turning the page to the next day is the right amount of accountability for me (and my kids). We try very hard to start early and finish in a reasonable amount of time because coming back to it later or "saving it for tomorrow" can be frustrating to fit in. We use HOD very simply. I buy a new guide for each child. This becomes my permanent record of their activities for future reference (I write in extracurriculars, field trips, even sicknesses) and label each two page spread with the date. I have found that taking short-cuts and re-writing our assignments into another scheduler causes more work than I usually get accomplished. I'm SO thankful for the bite sized boxes and the training that HOD has provided for ME to be committed to a program fully and the awesome feeling of accomplishment when the day/unit/or year is done!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Mibellesmom

Post by Mibellesmom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:07 pm

I struggle in wanting to be at certain unit in the guide, especially at this time of the year that summer is so close. I know that I am not alone. As much as I would like to take my time with each guide and not care at all when I finish, I do. I’ll have an 8th grader in the fall and High School, oh so near. Not rushing and cramming is important but it’s equally important to be diligent. I mentioned the workbox system because it is helping me. I am not tempted to double up anymore, even if it’s a little more. I guess I was so excited to share what has helped me in this area, that I failed to explain. Of course, it’s not necessary and there are many other ways to keep organized. I have a space for our homeschool, but I suspect looking for books was simply an excuse my kids were using. I am glad to have addressed this problem and they are glad to have more free time.
I’ve been using Heart of Dakota since my kids were 5 and 8 years old ( now 10 and 13) and in no way did I intend to take away from the program. :D

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Personally, I loved the photos of the workboxes. This would have helped me so much these past few years :D I am fortunate to have only one ds who needs constant monitoring, but he would love this system. I enjoy hearing everyones ideas 8)

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:10 pm

I enjoy seeing everyone's ideas also. Sometimes I take a little from someone and a little from someone else and make it work for me. Ideas are always welcome!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 am

Mibellesmom,

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your ideas. I love organizational tips! They often help so much as families are trying to figure out how to store materials and make them readily accessible for their kiddos! I agree that time spent looking for books is frustrating. :wink: It is wonderful when you have found something that works. In no way did we think you were taking away from the guide's plans!

Blessings,
Carrie

Oldoak

Post by Oldoak » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 pm

New to HOD here and I am so thankful for this thread! I can totally relate to all of it! I plan to start HOD in the fall and not look back! I am so thankful for all the hard work that Carrie has put into it all! Julie has help me plan and a couple years ago Mike help me and I wish I would have started then! Thanks to all of you! I look forward to this adventure with all of you! Knowing I am not alone in all my endeavors is very encouraging! Thanks