Holy Moly, Great reading Batman!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulheart

Holy Moly, Great reading Batman!!

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Ok, my 8 year old went from not being able to read a single paragraph to now reading the emerging reader books in 20-30 minutes! And he has excellent comprehension, able to explain the book completely to me.

Although, for some wierd reason, the idea of him sitting and reading a chapter book really ticks him off (we're talking about tears, whining, griping, negotaiating, wasting time.)... he feels that's BORING, and he'd much rather be moving around, playing, doing somehing ACTIVE than reading. But once he sits down to read, he's fine (but does roll his eyes at me a bit! :D :D ).

Ummm, OK!

So, I'm thinking of having him finish the last 3 emerging reader books then switching him to DITHR. What do ya'll think about doing that 1/3 way into Bigger?

Any suggestions, recommendations or advice?

netpea

Re: Holy Moly, Great reading Batman!!

Post by netpea » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:33 pm

WOW! That's fantastic. You can start DITHOR as soon as you finish the emerging reader set, no matter where you are in a program. It's independent of the other programs.

mom2boys030507

Re: Holy Moly, Great reading Batman!!

Post by mom2boys030507 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:23 pm

That is awesome. I would go ahead and finish the emergent readers and start DITHOR. That is my plan. I figure we will start half way through Beyond at the pace my son is currently going. One thing that helped my son start to not mind reading chapter books was to alternate the emergent readers with a topic that he is really into - for him it is dogs. Anything and everything dogs. Once he realized that he could read about dogs as well as other things he was much more willing to read. I also get lots of dog books for him to have on hand for free reading.

Have fun with your son reading.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07